Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 recently upgraded, and 2023.44.30.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1/10/24 Notes:

Dropped the car off at 8:15am. Was given a loaner, although my estimated time for completion was 4pm so I felt a little skeptical as I informed the advisor I tried many resets and reinstalled the SW with no prevail…

I informed him of the ECU being in critical status and the computer wasn’t processing anything, but it wasn’t like that before I brought it in for PTC heater and MCU2 upgrade around 12/27.

Got a text around 3:30pm with the service summary,
IMG_0536.png

Immediately noticed I got the .8 SW update and the calibration was resolved since I went from this
IMG_0527.jpeg
To this
IMG_0541.jpeg
Its drives pretty darn smooth and the unicorn can be enjoyed like it’s supposed to be. Still have the issue where the button to speak-a-command won’t connect but will schedule mobile service for that one at a later time.

Hopefully everyone else experiencing similar issues (no AP features working) can get an appt soon, as it’s border line a safety concern operating a car like this on the road. Nothing beeped or warned me and it was like driving a 99’ Honda CRV lol.

I would also like to add, within the last 2 weeks I’ve visited the SC twice, and each visit resulted in SW updates. I think it’s been mentioned before but go to their parking lot, closer to building the better, connect to wifi, and check for updates.

Are you thinking the software update is what fixed it? I finally updated my software to 2023.44.30.8 and after a day of driving it appears to have fixed things. I went to the SC a few weeks ago after the holiday update broke my car. Their remedy was to pay ~$1800 for hardware. I told them to kick rocks (politely) because it was obvious the software caused the issue. It felt like an iPhone update when they nuke your battery wanting you to upgrade to the newest version. Gross.

2017 MS, MCU2, FSD

Are you thinking the software update is what fixed it? I finally updated my software to 2023.44.30.8 and after a day of driving it appears to have fixed things. I went to the SC a few weeks ago after the holiday update broke my car. Their remedy was to pay ~$1800 for hardware. I told them to kick rocks (politely) because it was obvious the software caused the issue. It felt like an iPhone update when they nuke your battery wanting you to upgrade to the newest version. Gross.

2017 MS, MCU2, FSD
it was definitely the SW, in hand with the incomplete upload.
1706124884424.png

I’ve got a 2017 MX with HW3 & FSD running 2023.44.30.8. This morning, I lost FSD (both autosteer & cruise control) plus road visualizations. I tried the two thumb wheel reboot, didn’t help. I looked at the Service mode data, and on the camera page the primary & secondary power for the ECU were blank (should be green). Cameras were all green. There was only one DAS error reported. I was also getting lots of warnings about the vehicle re-steering my vehicle to maintain lane control, but the visualizations didn’t show lane lines. ???

I called the support line, they investigated & said I needed to get an SC appointment. They also saw ECU problems in my vehicle.

I tried a five minute power down & another two scroll wheel reboot, and I got cruise control back & limited road marking visualizations. Still see blank power indicators for the ECU. No FSD/autosteering. The lane control nagging stopped. I tried resetting the DAS, and that didn’t help though the reset was reported to be successful.

I’m waiting for some SC feedback on my messages to them. Sounds like I’ve got the same problem, but I’ve had this build for at least a week.

I’ve got a 2017 MX with HW3 & FSD running 2023.44.30.8. This morning, I lost FSD (both autosteer & cruise control) plus road visualizations. I tried the two thumb wheel reboot, didn’t help. I looked at the Service mode data, and on the camera page the primary & secondary power for the ECU were blank (should be green). Cameras were all green. There was only one DAS error reported. I was also getting lots of warnings about the vehicle re-steering my vehicle to maintain lane control, but the visualizations didn’t show lane lines. ???

I called the support line, they investigated & said I needed to get an SC appointment. They also saw ECU problems in my vehicle.

I tried a five minute power down & another two scroll wheel reboot, and I got cruise control back & limited road marking visualizations. Still see blank power indicators for the ECU. No FSD/autosteering. The lane control nagging stopped. I tried resetting the DAS, and that didn’t help though the reset was reported to be successful.

I’m waiting for some SC feedback on my messages to them. Sounds like I’ve got the same problem, but I’ve had this build for at least a week.
seems like same issue I had. ECU was showing Critical and INIT. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the visuals to show or the calibration wheel to make any progress.

An update to my saga with lost FSD functionality and visualizations. At a service center yesterday, the windshield camera assembly was replaced based on their analyses of vehicle data which we can't see. The cameras themselves seemed to be working, but some module in the camera assembly failed. That fix restored FSD functionality, cost about $550 & took a couple of hours.

I used to see a lot of "PM_w041_dasMIA" errors in the Service alerts window on my vehicle, at least one every time I looked. Past questions I posed to Tesla about these were poo-poo'ed as not being important. After the replacement, I don't see any of these errors. Interesting.

Part 3: After a problem-free drive including FSD this morning, I checked Service mode again for errors & found none. Then, I went out to pick up dinner at 5 PM and had no autosteer, no cruise control, no visualizations. Merde. I went into Service mode & found four errors, two of which are related to the new camera assembly installed yesterday, one classic “dasMIA” error, and one “critical” fault. I then could not get out of Service mode - the screen with the exit would only appear for a second & disappear. BTW, in service mode the vehicle speed is about 5 MPH and I was a few miles from home.

I did a scroll wheel reboot. The vehicle came back up in Service mode but the Service main screen stayed on, so I exited Service mode & drove home. I tried calling the service center & got only hold music (5:30 PM, really expected someone to be there). Called the national support line, and they supposedly are having the service manager call me tomorrow. I’m a very pissed off owner right now. The vehicle is in worse shape than before the SC work.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
PART 4: Everything works fine this morning! FSD and visualizations are back. No service alerts like yesterday at 3 PM. Maybe a deep sleep overnight fixed the camera comm issues??

I’ve talked to the SC service manager, and they’ll look at it again tomorrow.

As luck would have it, I’m having a very similar problem. I am going to fight tooth and nail against paying for this, since this thread exists as proof that this is a Tesla-induced software problem and not just “bad luck”.

In my case, I was driving my Model Y on the highway this morning when FSD shut off completely without warning and threw red hands on the display. Had I not taken over, the car would have crashed into the center barrier. (What was that about two AP ECUs and redundancy, again?)

I have no DAS functionality beyond the repeaters and backup cam, which now randomly reboot because the DAS system thinks there’s a critical error and needs to reboot every so often.

Anyway, my service alerts menu is showing three alerts. I will edit this post in a moment with the alert names.

Additionally, the DAS cameras screen shows that the Primary DAS ECU is in state “INIT”, and does not transition to “NOMINAL” like the Secondary ECU does after a DAS reboot (which I’ve done several times to no avail). After a while the Primary ECU transitions to state “CRITIAL”. It also reports that the main and both b-pillar cam streams are completely MIA, so maybe the Primary ECU runs neural networks that process the incoming streams from those cameras. The camera service screen for pitch verification shows black for all three of those cams.

I’ve tried resetting the DAS ECU, I’ve tried clearing the camera calibrations, and now I’m going to try completely powering off the 12V system (The connector on the penthouse and disconnecting 12V under the hood). Wish me luck.

Vehicle is a 2021 Performance Model Y, on software 2023.44.30.8 06f534d46010

Attachments

• IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 18
Unfortunately the issue remains after pulling the 12V and taking off the penthouse connector (HVIL? it opens the HV contactors) . After disconnecting both of those and waiting 10 minutes, then reconnecting everything, the issue remains. Going to try again for 30 minutes but I fear this is a "service center visit" issue. I forgot to mention in the previous post that I also tried re-installing the SW package from the service menu.

If anybody has any ideas of other stuff to try before I have to fight Elon's service center minions into replacing this blasted computer with funds from Tesla's coffers, please let me know :) Thanks guys

Attachments

• IMG_1578.png
    IMG_1578.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1577.png
    IMG_1577.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1576.png
    IMG_1576.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
  • Informative
As luck would have it, I’m having a very similar problem. I am going to fight tooth and nail against paying for this, since this thread exists as proof that this is a Tesla-induced software problem and not just “bad luck”.

In my case, I was driving my Model Y on the highway this morning when FSD shut off completely without warning and threw red hands on the display. Had I not taken over, the car would have crashed into the center barrier. (What was that about two AP ECUs and redundancy, again?)

I have no DAS functionality beyond the repeaters and backup cam, which now randomly reboot because the DAS system thinks there’s a critical error and needs to reboot every so often.

Anyway, my service alerts menu is showing three alerts. I will edit this post in a moment with the alert names.

Additionally, the DAS cameras screen shows that the Primary DAS ECU is in state “INIT”, and does not transition to “NOMINAL” like the Secondary ECU does after a DAS reboot (which I’ve done several times to no avail). After a while the Primary ECU transitions to state “CRITIAL”. It also reports that the main and both b-pillar cam streams are completely MIA, so maybe the Primary ECU runs neural networks that process the incoming streams from those cameras. The camera service screen for pitch verification shows black for all three of those cams.

I’ve tried resetting the DAS ECU, I’ve tried clearing the camera calibrations, and now I’m going to try completely powering off the 12V system (The connector on the penthouse and disconnecting 12V under the hood). Wish me luck.

Vehicle is a 2021 Performance Model Y, on software 2023.44.30.8 06f534d46010
Call the nationwide Tesla support number and report the incident. 877-798-3752. That can start the diagnostics process. You'll probably end up in a SC for this. Are you still within the original warranty? If so, it shouldn't cost you anything.

Part 5: After leaving the vehicle at the SC for a week, they decided to change out the coax cable running from the camera mount to some ECM. On the first visit, they determined the coax cable was OK. I have no idea how they determined this. I don't know why they ultimately determined the coax cable was the problem, but since that I haven't experienced any FSD/visualization failures.