Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne HPWC installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few posts up you complained about 3 letter acronyms. 4 letter acronyms are ok then?
Your right. The Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) housing Has an Ingress Protection (IP) rating of 55.
The first 5 relates to Solid ingress protection and is described as:
Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory “operation of the equipment; complete protection against contact.”
The second 5 relates to liquid protection and is described as:
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.”
Acronyms have their place in simplifying expression of concepts and objects where there is a shared understanding. My problem with Acronyms is their ability to cloud understanding. I rashly assumed it was ok to use the HPWC acronym as it was part of the thread title.
I have worked in Information Technology (IT) in a front line position where I could see others acronyms as a barrier to my clients understanding of their problems. I regularly challenged acronyms and in some cases discovered the person using the acronym didn’t fully understand its meaning themselves.

Last edited:
Hey All,

With the Model 3 coming soon I figured I would get a head start and get the HPWC installed. The Body Corp were kind enough to install a 32A 1P outlet at my request (and payment), it is sub-metered with an NMI compliant meter. It has a Type B RCD (which is overkill). I've had this sitting there by itself for a few weeks and finally had enough today and decided to go about sourcing the HPWC.

I picked up the long cabled HPWC at my own expense today from Tesla (it was $700 out the door), because I need one for here and in Canberra. I can definitely say the long option is better than the short as now I can park any which way. They didn't have the regular one in stock anyways so this was all for the best.

I chose to use an angled plug so that way I can pack up and go without the need to involve the BC etc, and that way someone else will have an outlet if need be. The wiring is 6mm2 circular + 2.5mm2 earth. Bootlace Ferrules are used for safety, and weatherproof glands are also in place. The HPWC was secured to the pillar (which is a steel form over concrete) using Ramset AnkaScrews.

Anyways the pictures speak for themselves. The only downside about the long charger is the cable is a bit unwieldy to loop around.

01046EAC-E2FC-49E0-8601-5EDCEC2B3A21.JPG IMG_4898.JPEG IMG_4899.JPEGIMG_4901.JPEG IMG_4902.JPEGIMG_4904.JPEG IMG_4905.JPEG IMG_4909.JPEG

@meowsers nice pics and good setup. Debated dong something like that at my current place as we may be moving out within the next 12 months.

Anyone know if we will be offered what length (5 vs 7m) cable we want for our free HPWC when we take delivery of the car?

It's actually a 2.6m vs 7.4 so quite a difference. They will most likely give you the smaller one, although I paid the same price (? I think) for the longer one, so maybe it is your preference. Who knows, you might ask them?

install a 32A 1P outlet

We're currently waiting on delivery for 2 Teslas and I was thinking of getting the electician to come around and install the HPWC and also install a similar outlet to the one you had put in. The idea being that if we ever needed to fast charge both cars at the same time, the outlet could be used with the UMC with an appropriate adapter.

Since I am no sparky, do you guys know:
(1) what that outlet is called?
(2) does that outlet work on 3 phase?
(2) whether there is an adapter for the UMC what would work with that outlet?
(3) is 11kW the expected output from that setup? (outlet + 3 phase + UMC)

It's actually a 2.6m vs 7.4 so quite a difference. They will most likely give you the smaller one, although I paid the same price (? I think) for the longer one, so maybe it is your preference. Who knows, you might ask them?

I actually reached out to Tesla via email to specifically request the longer cable HPWCs for our cars, also offering to pay the difference if the longer one was going to cost more. Got a reply saying they've noted the request and that cars will be delivered with the longer cable HPWC. No requirement to make any top-up cost.

We're currently waiting on delivery for 2 Teslas and I was thinking of getting the electician to come around and install the HPWC and also install a similar outlet to the one you had put in. The idea being that if we ever needed to fast charge both cars at the same time, the outlet could be used with the UMC with an appropriate adapter.

I actually reached out to Tesla via email to specifically request the longer cable HPWCs for our cars, also offering to pay the difference if the longer one was going to cost more. Got a reply saying they've noted the request and that cars will be delivered with the longer cable HPWC. No requirement to make any top-up cost.

Mine is just single phase but it’s the same outlet just with an extra pin. 7kw for me max but that’s 50km/hr so 75km/hr with 3 phase.

The outlet and angled plug are the most expensive but but you can find the plugs used on eBay like I did.

You want a clipsal or equivalent they are all interchangeable.

Why don’t you install both hpwc and use the network functionality included with them so you can use them both together. When they are both in use they will auto regulate the available current so they won’t exceed the capacity of your circuit

Once you’ve owned for a while you will work out the routine that should negate the need for fast charging.

Why don’t you install both hpwc and use the network functionality included with them so you can use them both together. When they are both in use they will auto regulate the available current so they won’t exceed the capacity of your circuit

Installing both HPWCs would be a option, but we visit the in-laws often enough that we thought it might make sense to have the same setup in 2 locations, i.e. 1 HPWC + 1 UMC (plugged to 32A outlet).

The three phase 32A 5 pin socket is called a Clipsal 56SO532 which translates to Clipsal 56 Series (which have an Ingress Protection rating of 56 or more) SO for Socket, 5 Pins and 32 Amp rating. The plug is called a 56SC532, SC stands for Socket Connector.
N.B. Sometimes different versions of these plugs and sockets will have an additional character to indicate an additional feature.
The 5 pin version is for 3 phase and it’s what I installed initially prior to getting my High Power Wall Connector installed.
I’m guessing the single phase version will be 3 pins so a Clipsal 56SO332.
I’m not an electrician so use this only as a starting point to talk to the qualified person.

Edit: Actually I was wrong the plug is 56P532. I have one of each spare and picked up the wrong box. :oops:

Last edited:
The three phase 32A 5 pin socket is called a Clipsal 56SO532 which translates to Clipsal 56 Series (which have an Ingress Protection rating of 56 or more) SO for Socket, 5 Pins and 32 Amp rating. The plug is called a 56SC532, SC stands for Socket Connector.
N.B. Sometimes different versions of these plugs and sockets will have an additional character to indicate an additional feature.
The 5 pin version is for 3 phase and it’s what I installed initially prior to getting my High Power Wall Connector installed.
I’m guessing the single phase version will be 3 pins so a Clipsal 56SO332.
I’m not an electrician so use this only as a starting point to talk to the qualified person.

Thanks Meloccom!

Yep, was just wanting those details to start the discussion with the electrician.

You mentioned using it before getting the HPWC installed. Was that with the UMC? Does Tesla sell a compatible plug adapter?

Installing both HPWCs would be a option, but we visit the in-laws often enough that we thought it might make sense to have the same setup in 2 locations, i.e. 1 HPWC + 1 UMC (plugged to 32A outlet).
Umcs are generally limited to 16A and I understand model 3 umcs are only single phase. So while you could plug it in to a 32A 3 phase outlet the improvement over a 10A standard outlet would be marginal at best.

That said, for daily top ups 10A single phase is more capable than most people give it credit for. Especially if you have one hpwc for a rapid top up when single phase isn't cutting it.

Thanks Meloccom!

Yep, was just wanting those details to start the discussion with the electrician.

You mentioned using it before getting the HPWC installed. Was that with the UMC? Does Tesla sell a compatible plug adapter?
Not sure about V2 UMC but my V1 UMC can connect to a Clipsal 56SO532 with adapters.
Australian Electric Vehicle Association AEVA and Tesla Owners Club Australia have been giving out 56SO532 sockets for remote roadhouses and other properties to extend the range of EVs Australia wide.
If allowed under wiring rules I would recommend you have the 56SO532 installed and wired up for single phase, this will allow you to share your power to visitors with the appropriate UMC and adapters.
The adapters I bought area available as a bundle through Jet Charge, EVSE and others.
Tesla UMC Adapter

Umcs are generally limited to 16A and I understand model 3 umcs are only single phase. So while you could plug it in to a 32A 3 phase outlet the improvement over a 10A standard outlet would be marginal at best.

That said, for daily top ups 10A single phase is more capable than most people give it credit for. Especially if you have one hpwc for a rapid top up when single phase isn't cutting it.
If the V2 UMC is going to support the 11Kw Charging capacity of the Model 3 they will need to support 3 phase otherwise 7.2Kw will be maximum on single phase.

If the V2 UMC is going to support the 11Kw Charging capacity of the Model 3 they will need to support 3 phase otherwise 7.2Kw will be maximum on single phase.
Ok so I've had another look and it appears 32A single phase is what you will get with the Gen 2 UMC. That's what they get in USA and Europe, but I guess until people take delivery we won't know.

You're confusing the onboard charger which is rated for 11kW on the lr and performance with the UMC which was up to 16A 3 phase or 11kW on Gen 1 and 32A single phase or 7kW on Gen 2.

A little OT but I've heard of people installing a standard 10A 240V plug onto the end of the HPWC. Is this reliable/acceptable and easy enough to DIY?
I’m renting and the owner is not willing to put any skin in the game to install a higher current outlet in the garage, he told me I can go ahead and pay for it myself. He didn’t buy the “upgrade” and “future proofing” story.

$900 is steep for a property I don’t own. I may change my mind and pony up later. For now I’m just going to wire up the HPWC to a standard 10A GPO and configure it to 8 or 10A for now. UMC will stay in the frunk.