Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne HPWC installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to Jetcharge and they apologised for the fact the electrician did not indicate he was going to install a 25amp install before commencing. I told them if I had known this I would have asked what is required (additional cost etc) to get the full 25amp install as I am the one living with the install for years to come.

I've included their response below where they discuss why it was done as it is and how they are rectifying it which I obviously want...

Jetcharge said...
"EV charger draws a lot of power and we recommend setting the charger at 25A for a single phase house to avoid overloading the switchboard. This gives around 35km an hour range and 32A charger gives around 50km an hour.

We recommend to leave the charger at 25A and see how it goes for a few weeks. If you think you are not happy with 25A then we will organise another visit to change the charger to 32A. If you would like to change the charger to 32A then we will need to upgrade your main switch to a current limiting device. We won't charge anything to change the setting for the charger but there will be a cost of $165 incl GST to replace the main switch with a current limiting device."

They are coming out Monday to replace. Looking forward to getting the full charging rate I was expecting. If 32 amps are ever an issue I can just reduce in the car if necessary.

We’ve never had an issue whatsoever in the 4 years charging the cars at 32amps (we’re on single phase etc.)

Just double checked with my electrician (handy having one on call as we do developments) and he said he used a 6mm cable and 40amp rated circuit breaker. He also noted that when we renovated 5 years ago we completely re-wired etc.

Last edited:
If you are putting in a new circuit the electrician should have wired 6mm and put in a 32A RCD.
The HPWC is made to run 32A all day all night, and you should have access to that.
The 6mm will also reduce resistive losses in the circuit, and considering the car uses roughly the same power as the rest of the house combined (at least in my case) even a 1% loss will add up over time to much more than the cost difference of 4mm --> 6mm, which is like $1.50/metre extra.
I personally set my car to 20A, since finishing by 6:30am is as good as 4:30am for me. But if I need to I can always set to 32A in the car.

My sparky used 4mm^2 cable for my 32A single phase. I did ask for the 6mm, but he said 4 is fine and rated at 32A
32A on 4mm is fine unless you run it inside a wiring enclosure, then it should be derated. even then its on the border so I wouldn't panic. If your sparky says its fine based on the installation methods he adopted then I wouldn't lose sleep.

If you would like to change the charger to 32A then we will need to upgrade your main switch to a current limiting device. We won't charge anything to change the setting for the charger but there will be a cost of $165 incl GST to replace the main switch with a current limiting device.
Ok, so chances are (educated guess) you are limited to 63A single phase in your area by your supply authority. Based on this, they are required to assess or limit maximum demand of your house. They probably have a few calculations back at head office that support them on adding a 25A charger to a typical house, but adding 32A requires either a new calculation which is specific to your house, or as they say you use a circuit breaker to cap the MD. Its not the intended purpose of the circuit breaker but it is a valid method of limiting MD to your installation. I've done the same thing at my house (32A 3 phase to the house with a 25A 3 phase to my charger).

Just be warned, in the 14 months I've had this installed it did trip once, my missus was using the oven and the aircon was on, and we wanted to go for a longish drive that day so I topped up the car. Not a big deal but be aware it can happen. You need to moderate your usage on these rare scenarios. I turned on the power again, got the oven going, aircon on and set the car charging again at 12A (3 phase), once the oven was done I put the car back up to its maximum of 24A 3 phase.

We’ve never had an issue whatsoever in the 4 years charging the cars at 32amps (we’re on single phase etc.)

Just double checked with my electrician (handy having one on call as we do developments) and he said he used a 6mm cable and 40amp rated circuit breaker. He also noted that when we renovated 5 years ago we completely re-wired etc.

Yep, different supply authorities have different allowable maximum demand, if yours is above 70A then depending on the size of your house there is every chance the electrician did assess MD and found it was fine.

Even if you were as low as 63A (fairly low but common allowance) you would not notice any problems as the fuses in your pillar are set higher than that. This will not be a concern for anyone ever until either you exceed your fuse rating, or 10 people in your street also get an EV and you all exceed your MD at the same time potentially causing your supply authority equipment to overheat and suffer damage.

In that event the supply authority has every right to seek damages from the electrician who installed the charger and failed to assess MD. Many electricians are unaware, many electricians see the chances of this event occurring so unlikely that they don't need to worry, but those that are aware and risk averse will insist on what jetcharge have here, and they are within their rights to do so.

My sparky used 4mm^2 cable for my 32A single phase. I did ask for the 6mm, but he said 4 is fine and rated at 32A. I guess I will get a little more power loss than if he had used the 6, but I would hope that the RCBO is protecting things and it's safe.
My charger is connected via 4mm cable and if I set it to 32A the cable gets quite warm (not hot). The cable is in conduit but not otherwise enclosed. Our overall supply is not that great so I usually run at 20A max.

Reactions: HighlyCharged
My charger is connected via 4mm cable and if I set it to 32A the cable gets quite warm (not hot). The cable is in conduit but not otherwise enclosed. Our overall supply is not that great so I usually run at 20A max.
Standard PVC cable is rated to 75degC. While that is internal (ie where the copper touches the PVC) and external temperatures can vary quite a bit from the internal temperature, warm is not a concern. That said, if you want to limit risk, limit wasted power along your cable and improve the life of your cables, equipment and batteries, then it is always good to charge below the maximum rating where you can. Despite being able to charge at 24A, I usually set my car to draw 16A on day-to-day usage. This also reduces the chances of a spurious trip as I mentioned above

@Munka Once of the most informative posts in this forum for a long while, thank you.

You're welcome.

Recently had a HPWC installed with a 10mm^2 cable / 40A breaker+RCD on single phase. Sparky advised me this setup can happily run 24/7 at 32A. It is only a couple of metres from the meter box. Was really happy with the install process. Price was just a tad over $500.

They are coming out Monday to replace. Looking forward to getting the full charging rate I was expecting. If 32 amps are ever an issue I can just reduce in the car if necessary.
The Jetcharge subcontractor came out as promised on Monday. Great news I can now charge at the full 32 amps and get about 45km/hour rate of charge now.

If you go with Jetcharge, my main recommendation (other than confirming how they plan to run the wiring) would be to get them to confirm if they can install at the full 32 amps. Their default install for a standard home is to configure for 25 amps.

In the end it took installing a safety switch worth just a few dollars to allow for a safe 32 amp install.

The reason they set the standard wall charger install to 25 amps is to prevent the house drawing more power than it can and causing the power to trip.

My view is, I can lower the amps from the car if necessary (which I can happily say after using this week has not been necessary). I'd rather get the fastest charge I can get and not have a charger that is limited because the service provider does not want to explain the pros and cons of install options and let me make an informed decision about what I want to do.

Jetcharge have been great to deal with in every other aspect. I just think to get the best outcome, make sure you agree the setup you are comfortable with before they commence the work.

Attachments

• 20200120_120508.jpg
    20200120_120508.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 95
The Jetcharge subcontractor came out as promised on Monday. Great news I can now charge at the full 32 amps and get about 45km/hour rate of charge now.

If you go with Jetcharge, my main recommendation (other than confirming how they plan to run the wiring) would be to get them to confirm if they can install at the full 32 amps. Their default install for a standard home is to configure for 25 amps.

In the end it took installing a safety switch worth just a few dollars to allow for a safe 32 amp install.

The reason they set the standard wall charger install to 25 amps is to prevent the house drawing more power than it can and causing the power to trip.

My view is, I can lower the amps from the car if necessary (which I can happily say after using this week has not been necessary). I'd rather get the fastest charge I can get and not have a charger that is limited because the service provider does not want to explain the pros and cons of install options and let me make an informed decision about what I want to do.

Jetcharge have been great to deal with in every other aspect. I just think to get the best outcome, make sure you agree the setup you are comfortable with before they commence the work.

Glad it worked out, I’ve had zero issues in 4.5 years charging at 32amps....I also have the circuit breaker safety switch thingy like you have.....

Reactions: GedMelbAU
The photo is of a 63A C curve miniature circuit breaker. It doesn't add any additional "safety" in the application it is installed. It just prevents you exceeding the maximum demand and it installed to cover their a$$ rather than to prevent tripping as they say.

Reactions: GedMelbAU
The photo is of a 63A C curve miniature circuit breaker. It doesn't add any additional "safety" in the application it is installed. It just prevents you exceeding the maximum demand and it installed to cover their a$$ rather than to prevent tripping as they say.
Thanks for clarifying. That's great to know. I'm just glad to be able to charge at 32 amps!

Recently had a HPWC installed with a 10mm^2 cable / 40A breaker+RCD on single phase. Sparky advised me this setup can happily run 24/7 at 32A. It is only a couple of metres from the meter box. Was really happy with the install process. Price was just a tad over $500.
Hi Flatbat, are you able to advise which electrician you used?
Seems like a good price
Thanks

Someone recommended Everlite Electrical on this site last year. Gave them call, very interested in the installation.
They mainly do solar and battery installations. Perfect match. I have solar and batteries.
Anyway they installed HPWC early Jan.
New dedicated 32 amp circuit, ran conduit, removed tiles, very tidy job. 10mtr cable run.
$407 with Compliance Cert.
Works great. But have settled for only 16 amp charge because solar output just covers charging the car.
I might have to use off peak in winter to charge the M3. Cheap as chips compared to 95 oct.

Is 11kw(45km) 16A the best you can get out of the provided charger? Just had my wall charger installed and was wondering if I'm supposed to get 32A on my charging screen
I went through the same discovery process :p. The HPWC is capable of 22 kW (3-phase, 32A per phase), but the on-board AC charger in the Model 3 is 11 kW. So for 3-phase you are unable to dial the charge current higher than 16A inside the car, regardless of the switch setting inside the HPWC.

With single phase, the 32A max current of the HPWC determines the charging limit. You can dial the charge current in the car up to 32A, and AC charging will be 7.7 kW.

I just got quoted $990 for a 3 phase install from Jet Charge. It's about 5 meters of cable run, goes under the house and attached to a brick wall. Seems a fair bit higher than what others have mentioned, but I'm not sure if 3 phase adds alot of cost?

Anyone recommend someone in NE suburbs for a quote?

I just got quoted $990 for a 3 phase install from Jet Charge. It's about 5 meters of cable run, goes under the house and attached to a brick wall. Seems a fair bit higher than what others have mentioned, but I'm not sure if 3 phase adds alot of cost?

Anyone recommend someone in NE suburbs for a quote?

These prices are crazy....5m run with fairly easy access under the house for a grand? Come on! These electricians are charging like they are rocket engineers....in fact I am fairly certain the rocket engineers get paid a LOT less than that...

I like Jet Charge don’t get me wrong but from what I’ve read they charge double what everyone else does...I think being listed on Tesla’s preferred installers they probably get a lot of work and a lot of people don’t question the pricing so they in turn do a “charge through the nose and a few fish will bite”

Reactions: Icey