Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melbourne HPWC installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m renting and the owner is not willing to put any skin in the game to install a higher current outlet in the garage, he told me I can go ahead and pay for it myself. He didn’t buy the “upgrade” and “future proofing” story.

$900 is steep for a property I don’t own. I may change my mind and pony up later. For now I’m just going to wire up the HPWC to a standard 10A GPO and configure it to 8 or 10A for now. UMC will stay in the frunk.
Why bother wiring up the HPWC if it is 10 amp. Just plug in the UMC.

Reactions: Hairyman
Exactly. More or less worthless. I would see if you can find someone who will install it cheaper.
Installation quotes I’ve been getting are circa $900. If you guys know any good Sparkies in Sydney I’m all ears, the way things are going with the deliveries I may have 2 or more weeks to go to get my model 3.

Why not the UMC? The HPWC looks neater and I can easily patch up the mounting holes when I leave. In the event that I pay a Sparkie to run the wiring, or my landlord caves in, I’d have the HPWC ready to go. It’s a personal choice.

Installation quotes I’ve been getting are circa $900. If you guys know any good Sparkies in Sydney I’m all ears, the way things are going with the deliveries I may have 2 or more weeks to go to get my model 3.

Why not the UMC? The HPWC looks neater and I can easily patch up the mounting holes when I leave. In the event that I pay a Sparkie to run the wiring, or my landlord caves in, I’d have the HPWC ready to go. It’s a personal choice.
I havn’t seen your garage, but another choice is Circular cable (usually orange) which can run around the garage in the corner on the floor. Saves a lot of labor cost if you have distance to your switchboard. You can then take the cable (and breaker) to your next rental and re-use it.

Reactions: KRMS
I am get crazy quotes in Melbourne too. I want mine installed next to (ie touching) the meter box and am getting quotes of $900.
I wonder if it’s because the moment you mention “electric car” or especially the word “Tesla” they immediately triple the fee they would normally charge for installing something similar.

I wonder if putting ads in places like Airtasker and getting an electrician from there might be a better option.

I am get crazy quotes in Melbourne too. I want mine installed next to (ie touching) the meter box and am getting quotes of $900.
The install time is less than 2 hours if you dont need a massive or tricky power run, although my sparky has done so many now he moved mine recently in 30 minutes.
Consumables are a circuit breaker, isolation switch, and cable.
Any electrician can install one. They are no different to any other appliance.

Are any of these the Tesla recommended installers? I am looking for basically the same thing, the HPWC install location for me is right next to the breaker box.
Don't worry about Tesla recommended installers, any electrician can do it.

It's basically as hard as installing an oven.

I suspect a lot of the high quotes are electricians not knowing quite what's involved, so just adding a large contingency.
Putting an HPWC next to a meter box will take much less than $100 in materials, and take an hour, so long as there is room in the meter box for a new circuit and no weird problems with the wall etc.
Just cable $5, conduit $5, breaker $10, brackets $5, fixings to attach back plate $5, scratching head for 15 minutes looking at manual $25, doing work one hour $100, profit $750 :)

Hi guys - just a quick one from the viewpoint of a recommended installer, and have been for the past 5 years, installed more than 1000 as a company. For Tesla installs at the moment, when we give a quote, we always say it's a rough guide, and the final price will be quoted on the day (obligation free). This is so we set expectations and don't burn people. Always better to come in lower than promise a ridiculously low price and charge you for extras.

Companies are listed as recommended installers for a reason. Not everybody gets on the list, even though Tesla get asked by electricians every day.

As with anything, you can ALWAYS get it cheaper. Always. If your electrician is in and out of a job in under an hour, then something is getting missed. This is coming from a company where individual electricians have done more than a few hundred installs.

Anyway - just a quick view from us. Sorry to come across as defensive!!!! Enjoy your cars, no matter who installs the HPWC! I can't wait to get mine.

Timpoo,

What I do not get is if the customer is able to say "I want it put next to the box" why that cannot form part of a quote over the phone? Getting a crazy high estimate with the hope that when an electrician arrives it might end up lower seems...odd. In fact, it seems like baiting.
Probably because there are still variables. Maybe there is a steel column between the box and the wall. Does the box have sufficient space for the breaker...is the box asbestos backed, is the box old imperial sizes.....I’m sure Timpoo has seen many variables, and probably at the same time many that are straightforward.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Well then why not if this then that $.
Because if you say:
“$500, but if there’s a problem then $900”
some clients will only want to pay $500 even if there is a problem. Because people are ignorant ***holes :)

Also, as a business owner if you give 5 people quotes for $900 and only 3 of them engage you, you have a chance to make some higher profit on some of the jobs and maybe take the kids to Bali next winter.

Reactions: Hovean and paulp
Not sure when, but recently Telsa have updated their Australian web pages to include model 3. According to the update, simply plugging into a standard 240V socket is going to give 15km/hr for a model 3. For me, that is going to be more than enough for almost all overnight charging given most nights it is going to be charged for 10 - 12 hours, which gives an extra 150 - 180km of range per day.

I am very very rarely going to do anything like that during week days. I plan to do way more than that on weekend, but will use the supercharger network etc for that. So I think I might save the few hundred $$$ and not get the HPWC installed.

Home Charging Installation

For the folks that have had Tesla's a while, is there something wrong with my logic here based on your experience?

Last edited:
Not sure when, but recently Telsa have updated their Australian web pages to include model 3. According to the update, simply plugging into a standard 240V socket is going to give 15km/hr for a model 3. For me, that is going to be more than enough for almost all overnight charging given most nights it is going to be charged for 10 - 12 hours, which gives an extra 150 - 180km of range per day.

I am very very rarely going to do anything like that during week days. I plan to do way more than that on weekend, but will use the supercharger network etc for that. So I think I might save the few hundred $$$ and not get the HPWC installed.

Home Charging Installation

For the folks that have had Tesla's a while, is there something wrong with my logic here based on your experience?
Looks fine except you won't get the 15km/h; work on 10 to 12.