Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Melted HPWC handle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the warranty should be the same in Canada.

Since your cable was replaced does it still get really hot? You should be able to charge at 80A - didn't we pay extra to get a car with dual chargers? And I could have saved money on installation if I didn't want 80A as the wiring would not have to have been nearly as thick.

My cable doesn't get BURNING hot charging at 80A since the HWPC cable was replace... but it does get really warm at 80A. Since the service life of all electronics shortens with heat, I choose to charge at 50A overnight since there's still PLENTY of time for our P85D to fully recharge even a fully drained battery during our utilities Super Off-Peak rate window (10:00 pm to 8:00 am)... No reason to charge at 80A except in emergencies.

Warranty is the same in Canada.

I think this hottness is one reason why Tesla stepped down the power of standard L2 charging at home.. by lowering the capacity of the onboard chargers to maximum 72A and I think also reduced the capability of the new HPWCs because they don't need to deliver 80..

Sure the 'ol 80 Amps do the job... but.. can fry. And is why we pro-actively dial them down now.

IMHO ... I would not do a 100A circuit with 80 HPWC at home if I were to start over knowing what I do now. Total overkill. In fact, I seldom charge at home anymore.

I still enjoy and am glad to have ordered the dual on-board chargers for 80A capable Level 2, for on the road at public stations.

At home 40A circuit is sufficient. I wouldn't buy HPWC.. just another UMC. Dedicating one UMC to a Nema 14-50 receptacle is scads cheaper for home, and good enough.

In Canada, I think UMC sold new now are limited to 32A. But not when I got my car, got the good 'ol 40A capable UMC on a 14-50 input... before somebody in Ontario realized, hey! That's not CODE for Canada. How to be a party pooper.

Still 32A at home is sufficient.

Last edited:
Warranty is the same in Canada.

IMHO ... I would not do a 100A circuit with 80 HPWC at home if I were to start over knowing what I do now. Total overkill. In fact, I seldom charge at home anymore.

At home 40A circuit is sufficient. I wouldn't buy HPWC.. just another UMC. Dedicating one UMC to a Nema 14-50 receptacle is scads cheaper for home, and good enough.

I totally agree 100A circuit with 80 HPWC at home is total overkill... and expensive + an ongoing expense for HWPC cable replacement if you charge at 80A.

I also wouldn't pay for dual chargers either since 90% of our road trip charging has been at Tesla Superchargers... and of the 10% we've done at destination chargers or public charging stations have all but ONE been limited to 40A or less which make our dual chargers worthless.

Not so bad for us since we bought our 2015 P85D as a discounted inventory car which came with dual chargers and HPWC (the latter free because of a Tesla inventory pricing error)

Reactions: FlatSix911
It all depends on your routes and availability of charging on the go... for me, until a month ago there was no supercharger anywhere nearby.

But lots of stores and things had been installing public J1772 with northwards of 40A. 68A is not uncommon. I've never seen one that can deliver more than my car can drink.

Had I only a single onboard charger ... I'd be clipped at 40A. So I like taking drinks from any public/courtesy L2 at whatever full power it is capable of delivering... often pays for the journey of my short visit in the area. Electron sponge is me.

In 2014 nobody knew if these electric cars would catch on, and is why (as early adopter was a bit worried) I prepared for worst case by installing the highest power option available at home, took the highest capacity battery car at the time, and maximum onboard charging capability.

The world has changed since. We're never going back to a gas vehicle again. Who knew these would be so successful !?

Reactions: Rocky_H
I think HPWC's warranty is the same as your car's IF you associate it with your car's VIN.

If your car is paid for 8 year / 100,000 mile extended warranty, then your HPWC should be too.
I also have an HPWC I bought in 2014 and recently noticed that the handle/cord and the part where they join to be very hot. I have no idea how long it has been like that as I don't always charge at full current, and I don't normally handle the cable during charging or right after it has completed. I reported this to our SC but much to my annoyance, it turns out that I ordered the HPWC from the online store (i.e. not with the car) so it only has 1 year warranty. Even more annoying, when I looked back through my correspondence at the time, it appears I asked the sales person to add the HPWC to my car order and they told me to order it separately. Presumably they had no idea this would come back to bite me but I told the SC about this scenario (and the associated email) and they still wouldn't offer any kind of compensation or replacement cable. Given that these units cost $1200 USD back when I bought it and there is clearly a day 1 design flaw, and I'm essentially caught in an administrative loophole, I'm not happy. Personally I think (and I also suggested this) that going forward each time someone like me is in this position, they should offer to pay some nominal amount of money towards a new Wall Connector, provided the original HPWC is returned. I guess for people who do have warranty this wouldn't be attractive but presumably for many people even 4 years of warranty is running out. The point of this would be 1) Get HPWCs out of circulation (presumably at some point this becomes a safety issue that would not reflect well on Tesla); 2) Good-will for people who dropped a pile of cash on a unit that seems to be flawed; 3) Encourages people to buy a new product on which Tesla would presumably still make money. Win-win.

When my HPWC plug overheated, Tesla's Ranger just replaced the HPWC cord, NOT the entire unit which I'm guessing would cost less than an entire new unit.

Tesla's HPWC and Supercharger plugs clearly are a wear item from my experience and observations of Tesla replacing their Supercharger cords. Biggest issue I've seen with HPWC plugs is they're susceptible to denting if their dropped. Maybe somebody will design a "case" for our HPWC plugs... that would also shed heat. Yeah I know, don't hold my breath... but I can still hope!

Reactions: gpetti
If you want to buy a new cable assembly and Tesla won't sell it to you, Quick Charge Power has them for sale from take-offs when they convert the HPWC to J-Wall.

$300.00 for a Tesla Wall Connector cable from Quick Charge Power is a great (albeit pricey IMHO) option: Tesla 80 amp cable, HPWC, Wall Connector

I'm guessing Tesla would sell the correct Gen 1 or Gen 2 HPWC for less... and my preference would be to have a Tesla Ranger bring it our and install it to avoid any Tesla vehicle warranty issues... Especially if you're charging via a HPWC at > 40A... and absolutely if you're charging at 80A when even a brand new HPWC cable and new Tesla vehicle receptacle will get WARM.

YMMV

I was told by service that Tesla no longer replaces charge cord handles for the older units. I had an issue with my 2013 HPWC that had gone through two handle/cord replacements in the first year. They said my only option was to buy a whole new one for about $500 or whatever the price is.

I was told by service that Tesla no longer replaces charge cord handles for the older units. I had an issue with my 2013 HPWC that had gone through two handle/cord replacements in the first year. They said my only option was to buy a whole new one for about $500 or whatever the price is.

Good to know! Thanks! I'll definitely try to get our Gen1 HPWC cable replace before our 3-year warranty runs out (our HPWC was ordered with our "fully loaded" 2015 MS P85D with dual chargers).

I just looked at my car, don't see anyway to change charge amps. It depends on circuit. I have 50amp, it charges at 40. I go to a 100 amp charger, it charges at 80 amps. Oh, I have dual chargers. I see no way on screen to change amps.

On the cars charging screen where it says "80 amps", you can press the up or down buttons right next to the numbers to change the charging current....So from 80 amps, you can adjust it down to 60 amps and it will "GPS remember" that setting for that location....

I agree with RandyS; you should be able to throttle the charge down with the on-screen arrows. My High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) on a 100A cct allows a 72A charge to my MS, and I can reduce it if I want to using the down arrow. As a side note, apparently there was a Canadian Electrical code change that has caused newer continous load appliances, such as our Teslas, to only be charged at 70% of max circuit capacity, where I believe the code used to be 80% before. Consequently, my 2017 MS 75D with a 72A onboard charger only allows 32A charge with a 50A 14-50 plug at my son's place, where as Telsa used to allow 40A (80%) on a 50A cct with an older single or dual charger MS. This could be frustrating if you don't have a High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) and are running off a 40A or 50A appliance receptacle.

I agree with RandyS; you should be able to throttle the charge down with the on-screen arrows. My High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) on a 100A cct allows a 72A charge to my MS, and I can reduce it if I want to using the down arrow. As a side note, apparently there was a Canadian Electrical code change that has caused newer continous load appliances, such as our Teslas, to only be charged at 70% of max circuit capacity, where I believe the code used to be 80% before. Consequently, my 2017 MS 75D with a 72A onboard charger only allows 32A charge with a 50A 14-50 plug at my son's place, where as Telsa used to allow 40A (80%) on a 50A cct with an older single or dual charger MS. This could be frustrating if you don't have a High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) and are running off a 40A or 50A appliance receptacle.
It's not the car, it's the UMC, and more specifically the 14-50 adapter that was lowered to 32a in Canada. If you get a wall adapter, you would get the full 40a on a 50a circuit.

Reactions: miimura
It's not the car, it's the UMC, and more specifically the 14-50 adapter that was lowered to 32a in Canada. If you get a wall adapter, you would get the full 40a on a 50a circuit.
Interesting news ... it appears that all new UMC kits will now limit the 14-50 adapter to 32A in the US market. :cool:
Tesla releases 40% cheaper next-gen mobile connector for Model 3, S, and X Tesla started shipping a new mobile connector with the Model 3 earlier this year. Today, Tesla made the device – pictured above – its new standard mobile connector for all its vehicles and they are calling it “Gen 2”. The new mobile connector was apparently only delivered with the Model 3, but it now comes with all of Tesla’s vehicles, according to the company’s website.

“This product is included as standard equipment with your Tesla vehicle, however, purchasing another Mobile Connector Bundle may provide extra convenience if you wish to keep one set at the home and carry another in the car.” Those connectors are used for standard outlets and 240-volt outlets – mostly for overnight charging.

The kit bought separately is now only $300 – 40% cheaper than the previous version, which was itself made cheaper last year when Tesla slightly updated the design. It comes a with 20 ft cable, a NEMA 14-50 Adapter, and a NEMA 5-15 Adapter. With the 14-50 adapter, the new connector is limited to a max output of 32 amps versus 40 amps for the last generation connector. The design is fairly similar to the previous version.
tesla-gen-2-mobile-connector.jpg

Interesting news ... it appears that all new UMC kits will now limit the 14-50 adapter to 32A in the US market. :cool:
Tesla releases 40% cheaper next-gen mobile connector for Model 3, S, and X Tesla started shipping a new mobile connector with the Model 3 earlier this year. Today, Tesla made the device – pictured above – its new standard mobile connector for all its vehicles and they are calling it “Gen 2”. The new mobile connector was apparently only delivered with the Model 3, but it now comes with all of Tesla’s vehicles, according to the company’s website.

“This product is included as standard equipment with your Tesla vehicle, however, purchasing another Mobile Connector Bundle may provide extra convenience if you wish to keep one set at the home and carry another in the car.” Those connectors are used for standard outlets and 240-volt outlets – mostly for overnight charging.

The kit bought separately is now only $300 – 40% cheaper than the previous version, which was itself made cheaper last year when Tesla slightly updated the design. It comes a with 20 ft cable, a NEMA 14-50 Adapter, and a NEMA 5-15 Adapter. With the 14-50 adapter, the new connector is limited to a max output of 32 amps versus 40 amps for the last generation connector. The design is fairly similar to the previous version.
tesla-gen-2-mobile-connector.jpg
You know, if they were to come out with a version of that that had a J1772 connector on it, it would sell like hotcakes at that price point. Tony will undoubtedly base a new, cheaper Jesla on it, but...

Bumping this old thread. I just bought a Gen2 replacement so I can charge at 80 amps again after my Gen1 HPWC melted like the Original Poster's did. No warranty on mine - 7 years old. In any event. I am so surprised that the handle, or the charge-port itself (would make more sense) does not have a thermal sensor to either throttle down the current, or just turn off the charge. It's a simple enough safeguard for high current charging - I had a hard time extracting the malformed connector from the charge port.

Yeah, I guess I should be charging at 40 Amps max, but I paid for the dual chargers and from time to time, it's convenient to charge at 80!