Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes approved for ACTUAL self driving in the USA. And will accept responsibility.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand the trashing of the Mercedes system.

Sure, the Level 3 part of the system only works under 40 MPH in very particular conditions, but that doesn't automatically mean that outside those conditions, the Mercedes S-Class reverts to a 1975 vehicle with no cruise control and you have to manually hit the gas, manually hit the brakes, manually turn the steering wheel, etc.

It just means that once the Level 3 conditions are not met, then the responsibility for safely controlling the vehicle goes back to you, the driver. It doesn't mean that the active lane centering and adaptive cruise control suddenly turns off completely. In other words, it falls back to basically what Tesla Autopilot is -lane-centering and traffic-aware cruise control, and you, the driver, are responsible for double-checking the car's decisions--just as you are with Tesla AP 100% of the time.

Sure, the Level 3 part of the system only works under 40 MPH in very particular conditions, but that doesn't automatically mean that outside those conditions, the Mercedes S-Class reverts to a 1975 vehicle with no cruise control and you have to manually hit the gas, manually hit the brakes, manually turn the steering wheel, etc.

It just means that once the Level 3 conditions are not met, then the responsibility for safely controlling the vehicle goes back to you, the driver. It doesn't mean that the active lane centering and adaptive cruise control suddenly turns off completely. In other words, it falls back to basically what Tesla Autopilot is -lane-centering and traffic-aware cruise control, and you, the driver, are responsible for double-checking the car's decisions--just as you are with Tesla AP 100% of the time.
That's actually not true. As per the full length video, to avoid mode confusion, when it sees the conditions do not meet L3, it disables completely after giving driver time to respond. You can reactivate other features from there, but it doesn't fall back like Tesla Autopilot does.

So the car is driving at 35mph in L3. Suddenly the speed limit changes to 50. I was playing a video game so I did not notice that. Does it become my responsibility or Mercedes if I do not take over the driving and the car crashes?

So the car is driving at 35mph in L3. Suddenly the speed limit changes to 50. I was playing a video game so I did not notice that. Does it become my responsibility or Mercedes if I do not take over the driving and the car crashes?
That won't happen. When the limit changes, or traffic picks up speed, the car will alert you that it's going to hand back control in 10 seconds, which is enough time to stop gaming and drive manually.

Reactions: DarkForest
It will come to a gradual stop if you don't respond at all (just like how AP does). However, when that ~7-10 second timer is over, technically it is out of L3 mode already and you are responsible for anything that happens.

If you watch the videos, the steering indicator turns red, there is an auditory alert, your seat belts progressively tighten, so it is very hard to miss. In California also it is currently not legal to use a separate device, so whatever you do would have to be on the center screen, so Mercedes can simply shut that off or display a message on top to get your attention.

Reactions: MarkDave
That's actually not true. As per the full length video, to avoid mode confusion, when it sees the conditions do not meet L3, it disables completely after giving driver time to respond. You can reactivate other features from there, but it doesn't fall back like Tesla Autopilot does.
Thank you for the correction. I'm frankly more curious about the performance of the L2 system rather than the L3 system.

I see the L3 system in the Mercedes currently as the cherry on top. It's a very limited system. The L2 system, however, I would hope to be state of the art, with all the extra compute and sensors.

Reactions: enemji
It will come to a gradual stop if you don't respond at all (just like how AP does). However, when that ~7-10 second timer is over, technically it is out of L3 mode already and you are responsible for anything that happens.

If you watch the videos, the steering indicator turns red, there is an auditory alert, your seat belts progressively tighten, so it is very hard to miss. In California also it is currently not legal to use a separate device, so whatever you do would have to be on the center screen, so Mercedes can simply shut that off or display a message on top to get your attention.
Those 10 seconds...who is liable for an accident that happens in those 10 seconds?

Those 10 seconds...who is liable for an accident that happens in those 10 seconds?
Mercedes. The system gives you 10 seconds because it can handle driving tasks for those 10 seconds. After that it returns control to you and you're liable. That's a difference between L2 and L3. L3 can predict conditions far enough in advance to give you a grace period to take over, while maintaining control during that period.

The transition duration time in Tesla is quite abrupt with no warning clues in advance: sudden blaring audio alarm with visual red steering wheel icon. A sudden L2 to manual drive in a fraction of a second.

Not so with L3 system. You have plenty of time to take over. If you don't, it doesn't collide with a car. It will slow down to a stop if the driver becomes unresponsive.

How does that even work? The car decides that it's not safe to continue in L3, yet the computer gives you 10 seconds to take over?! Unless someone can explain to me how that makes any sense I prefer Tesla's approach;"I dunno what's happening, take over NOW".

How does that even work? The car decides that it's not safe to continue in L3, yet the computer gives you 10 seconds to take over?! Unless someone can explain to me how that makes any sense I prefer Tesla's approach;"I dunno what's happening, take over NOW".
L3 parameters are very much predictable.

When you drive in L3 at a slow traffic flow reaching the border of 2 states: L3 compliance state of Nevada and L3 prohibited state of California, it calculates the time and gives you warnings in advance that L2 operation is coming up: minutes, not just seconds.

Similarly, when a few numbers of cars ahead of the car in front start to speed up beyond 37 MPH, it can calculate when will the car immediately in front would also do so. Thus, it could warn you many seconds in advance when 37 MPH L3 will transition to 90 MPH L2.