Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes video released today re new EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a comparison of the Model X and the Mercedes.

That's pretty funny. To compare the fronts they used a photo of a 2012 Model X prototype. The fake grill look never made it to production.
Is the rest of the review as sloppy?

Do you take production numbers into account? Even in the unlikely event half of the Mercedes sales are "stolen" from Tesla, that would only work out to less than 15,000 units. It would only take 3% of Tesla's sales to be Mercedes conquests to surpass that.

Do you take production numbers into account? Even in the unlikely event half of the Mercedes sales are "stolen" from Tesla, that would only work out to less than 15,000 units. It would only take 3% of Tesla's sales to be Mercedes conquests to surpass that.

I expect that Mercedes will ramp up production pretty quickly to meet demand. It has plants all over the world, and if people want electric cars (and we do), it will build and sell them.

About three weeks ago, I was absolutely convinced that I was going to get a Model 3. I had quotes from Tesla, and even had a quote from an electrician to install a charging station. But I couldn't pull the trigger. Why? Tesla's service centers are not good. If Tesla had the service centers like Mercedes, I would be driving a Tesla today. Instead, I bought an ICE Mercedes.

Right now, Tesla has little competition in the EV car market. I think that if Tesla straightens out its service centers, it will thrive. If it doesn't, it will get overtaken by other car companies.

• Informative
Reactions: rwjr44
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I do not share it. Maybe we'll find out in due course, maybe not.
I have owned 2 Mercedes in the recent past. Service was great but shockingly expensive. Neither car was particularly reliable. Visits to service were frequent. Still beautiful cars! My 15 month old Model 3 has been to service only once to fix a seat switch that I broke. Tesla fixed it for free (the charge would have been $110) and would have sent mobile service. I wanted to try the Charlotte service center. Great experience! No service beats great service!

I think a company like Mercedes, with excellent service centers, is more likely to steal customers from Tesla, than Tesla is likely to steal customers from Mercedes. This will be even more true if people continue to post negative reviews of Tesla's service on places like YouTube.

I wish that were true, but having worked at a dealer, not that many techs are gonna be familiar with it. It'll take time for techs to catch up. Usually, only tech with certification on the car can work on it.

I wish that were true, but having worked at a dealer, not that many techs are gonna be familiar with it. It'll take time for techs to catch up. Usually, only tech with certification on the car can work on it.

When I was shopping for an EV and plugin in most cases (except Tesla) I knew much more about the vehicle than Sales Reps. I really hope their techs more knowledgeable about the company product.

When I was shopping for an EV and plugin in most cases (except Tesla) I knew much more about the vehicle than Sales Reps. I really hope their techs more knowledgeable about the company product.

Sales barely know didly squat. Our department (service) usually did the explaining on how things worked in their new car and we had to deal with the "promises" that sales gave. Techs are more trustworthy than sales unless that salesperson came from service first.

Sales personnel turnover rate was very high.

Reactions: Kappelan
Not real impressed with the Mercedes, noting recent history especially with the quality and reliability. Recalls have been overwhelming for may owners. Like the Mercedes non braille seat adjustments on doors and dash is okay. Dislike the lack of am radio in Teslas but overall Tesla is ahead. Yes, Tesla has quirks but the supercharger systems is superior over other charging systems at this date in time.

Service for both Mercedes and Porsche are expensive and dealers live off the service department income now days. Same for Audis and Jaguars. The F Jaguar is not even in the same class as an X but with a M3 maybe.

For now I will continue to buy American made Teslas and keep the income in the US. I don't care how any foreign car plants are here the bulk of the money goes back to the manufacturer overseas.

Not real impressed with the Mercedes, noting recent history especially with the quality and reliability. Recalls have been overwhelming for may owners. . . .

For now I will continue to buy American made Teslas and keep the income in the US. I don't care how any foreign car plants are here the bulk of the money goes back to the manufacturer overseas.

I have driven 8 Mercedes over 22 years. I have never had one break down. I have had one recall, which was fixed in a day. I have never had a repair which was not covered under warranty.

The point about driving an American car is a good one. Let's hope Tesla gets its act together on the service end.

Our department (service) usually did the explaining on how things worked in their new car and we had to deal with the "promises" that sales gave.

I hope so. But I remember how I was receiving calls from Chevy service department about oil change due as they would do for a regular vehicle, so every time I had to explain that we don't have to do oil change that often in our Volt :)

• Funny
Reactions: Petrocelli
I have owned 2 Mercedes in the recent past. Service was great but shockingly expensive. Neither car was particularly reliable. Visits to service were frequent. Still beautiful cars! My 15 month old Model 3 has been to service only once to fix a seat switch that I broke. Tesla fixed it for free (the charge would have been $110) and would have sent mobile service. I wanted to try the Charlotte service center. Great experience! No service beats great service!

You are correct about Mercedes being expensive to repair. That's why I only lease them. I never have a car that is out of warranty.

My guess is that service location is dependent on location. Here in West Los Angeles, Teslas are everywhere -- particulalrly Model 3s. There is no infrastructure to service them. That's a big problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: PJFW8
and they haven't reached anywhere close to the fed tax incentives right? niiice
wonder what the gvwr is, for those who can take advantage... looks to be similar enough size to the x, so the weight should be there to make the cutoff

That's pretty funny. To compare the fronts they used a photo of a 2012 Model X prototype. The fake grill look never made it to production.
Is the rest of the review as sloppy?

I guess German precision doesn't apply to the marketing department...

That Mercedes is a beautiful car with all of the touches one would want in a luxury car. But I don't like SUVs, its range isn't up to par and the lack of a coherent charging network are problematic for me. I know that there are a good number of charging stations being built but many of those don't seem to be convenient for road trips and only Porsche has seemed to make using them as convenient (at least that is what they say) to use (billing, credit card use, etc) as Tesla.

The next wave of EV buyers won't have the mind set of early adopters.