Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, you mean they acted like a normal dealership. In non-sales talk, they lied.

As much as hate the dealership model. But to be fair I don't recall the last time a Toyota or a Honda or a Mercedes or an Acura dealership promised me something and went back on it. I have owned each of the above brands and in my experience it has never happened. YMMV but during the car sale process if they said something, they followed through on it. Unlike Tesla, the company I believe in the MOST!

If I may, I’d like to add my 2 cents.

The people who keep defending Tesla no matter what are not doing anybody, including Tesla, any favor.
In reality, it’s the opposite since their comments are driving once-loyal Tesla fans (I was one of those fans) away since those ‘fans’ got nowhere with Tesla concerning their Tesla cars’ problems and thus they came here to share and possibly seeking advice(s).
They didn’t come here to be questioned about their ‘real’ motives of posting negativity about Tesla.

Pertaining to the OP’s situation, when was the last time anybody was willing to drive a rather long way to get their car(s) serviced?
Furthermore, telling people to take up with their state government regarding their car’s problems is rather inappropriate.

In any case, that’s how I see it.
The once beloved Tesla has now become something else.

Gauging from your comment and overall shock it seems like I dodged a bullet here with this screen issue? What was your experience? Are they refusing to replace or repair the screens anymore?

Yeah, there’s a very long thread about this issue. Several folks have been in arbitration regarding it. I was told it is NOT a warranty issue and that I would have to pay for replacement. Some folks are getting the UV treatment.

So 1) good for you that you didn't bat an eyelid driving 200 miles to your nearest service center. I apologize I am not as magnanimous and large hearted toward EV adoption as you are. Even though in my little realm I have stretched myself significantly to support Tesla through a vehicle purchase and stock purchase, but them asking me to start driving ~100 miles for service is making me lose faith toward continuing to blindly support this company.

and 2) I have (as have many other Tesla owners in MI) written to representatives including Gary Peters, Debbie Stabenow, Debbie Dingel and some Republican a-holes about their obnoxious policies that are going 180 degree opposite to what other states are doing in terms of EV adoption. They send out canned responses and have nowhere on their priority list to antagonize the big 3 here and lose votes and funding. It is a sad state of affairs here in Michigan and it certainly is making less and less sense to own a Tesla here. Because the government doesn't give a darn about EVs and now Tesla doesn't give a darn either about customers who want to support the company.

Your situation may not be as unique as you think I live in Arizona and my nearest service center is roughly 170 miles away one way. Another recently opened but it is approximately 147 miles away. I have made the trip when needed. I knew what I was getting into so I certainly can't throw shade at Tesla. Would it be better if there were more service centers of course but we are still in the early adopter stages compared to established automakers. Hang in there your situation will likely improve.

I'm willing to stay the course as I'm sure many are because this vehicle has been the most intuitive and engaging driving experience I've ever had in my life. Hopefully you'll be able to hang in there with us :) being a pioneer is hard..

Reactions: GSP and Tribaltech
To add to my comment above, as long as there’s new customers for Tesla, they can care less about the loyal former clients.

My guess is in about 2 years or so, it’d be too late for Tesla to try to right their wrongs.

We were going to be a 3 Tesla cars family but not any more.
I’d rather go back to MB or Porsche than buying another Tesla.

Your situation may not be as unique as you think I live in Arizona and my nearest service center is roughly 170 miles away one way. Another recently opened but it is approximately 147 miles away. I have made the trip when needed. I knew what I was getting into so I certainly can't throw shade at Tesla. Would it be better if there were more service centers of course but we are still in the early adopter stages compared to established automakers. Hang in there your situation will likely improve.

I'm willing to stay the course as I'm sure many are because this vehicle has been the most intuitive and engaging driving experience I've ever had in my life. Hopefully you'll be able to hang in there with us :) being a pioneer is hard..

I appreciate your kind and understanding tone in your comment. I want to hang in there and continue supporting Tesla..... I have to figure out how to make it all work with just one car and a job that won't allow me so much time away for SC visits. Trust me I want to continue being with Tesla....

Reactions: Darren Donovan
To add to my comment above, as long as there’s new customers for Tesla, they can care less about the loyal former clients.

My guess is in about 2 years or so, it’d be too late for Tesla to try to right their wrongs.

We were going to be a 3 Tesla cars family but not any more.
I’d rather go back to MB or Porsche than buying another Tesla.

THANK YOU for your previous comment and support. I immensely appreciate it especially at a time I am feeling distraught about my ownership of this vehicle. I too was saving up for someday getting a Model X as our second car down the road. But the way Tesla has burnt me, I am now in the never again club until Tesla rights some of these wrongs they have been doing toward MI customers.

Similarities indeed! My situation is very similar with regard to my ability to get time off work and my Model S being my only vehicle it has to serve all needs and all functions all the time.

I couldn't imagine being without a Tesla after having had one. my worst case scenario might involve hanging on to my Tesla and then picking up another used work beater some cheap ice car or perhaps another used EV just to get around and solve some of those scheduling problems? Although I'm not sure how that would even work.

I'm not entirely sure what this landscape looks like, because I've never been here before. None of us have we're trying to drive something that heretofore hasn't existed.

The $600 is a license plate fee plus a surcharge for an electric car ($200 as I recall). Michigan figures car tag prices based on the new car price. Any expensive car is going to have an expensive tag in Michigan. Additionally, new cars are sales taxed based on the new car price, any trade in is not deducted. So a $100,000 car with a $60,000 trade in will be taxed on the whole $100,000. There’s more. When you buy car insurance, there’s a $220 per car surcharge for something called MCCA, to provide for catastrophic care under Michigan’s no fault insurance scheme. Michigan has the highest insurance rates in the country. That MCCA just went up another $14 per car this year.

A lot of people drive 90 miles or more to a Tesla service center. It’s not just a Michigan issue. I’m sure they’d flatbed the car if it wasn’t drivable but the yellow screen doesn’t disable the car.

I haven’t had any recent repair issues so can’t say much. I did have a mirror replaced for a folding issue, they sent a ranger.

The dealership lobby is strong in Michigan. They are the ones opposed to direct sales. It isn’t the big 3, it’s the privately owned dealerships. They have a good thing going and they are paying lobbyists and politicians to maintain that good thing.

I’m in Ann Arbor. I bought my Tesla before moving to Michigan. There are a quite a number of Teslas here.

Michigan seems to go out of its way to squash any effort to decrease carbon footprints. They have a history of allowing massive pollution. Locally there is an enormous dioxane problem that’s polluting the ground water. It’s left over from failure to stop a company from spreading their industrial waste on top of the ground. Anyway they have local meetings about it but they don’t do anything. So they allow pollution, they allow contamination of water supplies (Flint is in Michigan) and yet they seem to make any attempts by residents to help the environment punitively expensive.

If I want to add solar to my house, they’ll increase the taxes on my house sufficiently that the system never pays back the cost. You cannot go off grid here, if you don’t have a connection to the local power company, you cannot get a certificate of occupancy. The power company does have to buy excess electricity for credits. As I understand it, the law has changed recently so the credits you get are based on the cheapest rates while you buy your power at the more expensive rates. So the power companies also have strong lobbies.

I wouldn’t look to Michigan to set any sort of example for anything environmental now or in the foreseeable future.

They do have some good schools, though.

The $600 is a license plate fee plus a surcharge for an electric car ($200 as I recall). Michigan figures car tag prices based on the new car price. Any expensive car is going to have an expensive tag in Michigan. Additionally, new cars are sales taxed based on the new car price, any trade in is not deducted. So a $100,000 car with a $60,000 trade in will be taxed on the whole $100,000. There’s more. When you buy car insurance, there’s a $220 per car surcharge for something called MCCA, to provide for catastrophic care under Michigan’s no fault insurance scheme. Michigan has the highest insurance rates in the country. That MCCA just went up another $14 per car this year.

A lot of people drive 90 miles or more to a Tesla service center. It’s not just a Michigan issue. I’m sure they’d flatbed the car if it wasn’t drivable but the yellow screen doesn’t disable the car.

I haven’t had any recent repair issues so can’t say much. I did have a mirror replaced for a folding issue, they sent a ranger.

The dealership lobby is strong in Michigan. They are the ones opposed to direct sales. It isn’t the big 3, it’s the privately owned dealerships. They have a good thing going and they are paying lobbyists and politicians to maintain that good thing.

I’m in Ann Arbor. I bought my Tesla before moving to Michigan. There are a quite a number of Teslas here.

Michigan seems to go out of its way to squash any effort to decrease carbon footprints. They have a history of allowing massive pollution. Locally there is an enormous dioxane problem that’s polluting the ground water. It’s left over from failure to stop a company from spreading their industrial waste on top of the ground. Anyway they have local meetings about it but they don’t do anything. So they allow pollution, they allow contamination of water supplies (Flint is in Michigan) and yet they seem to make any attempts by residents to help the environment punitively expensive.

If I want to add solar to my house, they’ll increase the taxes on my house sufficiently that the system never pays back the cost. You cannot go off grid here, if you don’t have a connection to the local power company, you cannot get a certificate of occupancy. The power company does have to buy excess electricity for credits. As I understand it, the law has changed recently so the credits you get are based on the cheapest rates while you buy your power at the more expensive rates. So the power companies also have strong lobbies.

I wouldn’t look to Michigan to set any sort of example for anything environmental now or in the foreseeable future.

They do have some good schools, though.

You summed it up beautifully in how ass backward this state is. If it weren't for my wife's entire family living here, I'd be getting the F out of this illogical dumb state in a heartbeat. You are absolutely right...any mention of the minutest effort for environmental protection and the Michigan government wants to blaze away in the opposite direction with lightspeed. Its disgusting!

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k and VT_EE
I would consider myself a Tesla fanboy (says so in my tag line), however, what is going on with @Tribaltech is not fair and is terribly unfortunate. I hate hearing stories like this and I am never a fan of when someone simply dismisses a problem without walking a mile in their shoes. There are failures here on many levels and I hope you get some satisfactory resolution.

On an entirely separate note...Michigan (and Michiganders) are a strange breed when it comes to cars. My wife is from Michigan, her entire family lives in Warren. Half of my family lives in Michigan, although I am Canadian. I have been visiting Michigan for more than 40 years and starting in the 90’s my family started making trips in our foreign cars (Honda’s and Toyota’s). We have had our (Japanese) cars vandalized on 4 separate occasions (spray painted, keyed, tires slashed and once we think it was some kind of acid thrown on the paint), without doubt because “we bought foreign”. Now Tesla is the newest threat to Michigan’s automotive status quo. I am sure it will all work itself out in about 20 years.

.....We have had our (Japanese) cars vandalized on 4 separate occasions (spray painted, keyed, tires slashed and once we think it was some kind of acid thrown on the paint), without doubt because “we bought foreign”. Now Tesla is the newest threat to Michigan’s automotive status quo. I am sure it will all work itself out in about 20 years.....

OMG!! SO TRUE! The number of times I have had pickup truck driving rednecks tailgate me or Dodge Charger or Mustang GT driving petrolheads tailgate or rev their engines past me on the highway, I have lost count. There is this unsaid but very prominent complex that Michiganders have toward anything that symbolizes a progressive move in the right direction. So often times me driving my Tesla I am faced with these brainless buffoons who want to ideally make me go off road and crash and burn just cuz I'm driving a EV. Which ironically is more American made than their garbage pickup truck of Chevy SUV they might be driving.

Reactions: erik_k and mrElbe
Oh, you mean they acted like a normal dealership. In non-sales talk, they lied.

Exactly!

In the beginning, Tesla was not focused on profit.

It created a salesforce with no commissions to focus on education the public about electric vehicles rather than making sales.

Somewhere along the line, its idealism has faded and now it focuses on sales and profits at all cost and its sales ethics is pretty much in line with traditional dealership including lies that are not documented in a contract.

OMG!! SO TRUE! The number of times I have had pickup truck driving rednecks tailgate me or Dodge Charger or Mustang GT driving petrolheads tailgate or rev their engines past me on the highway, I have lost count. There is this unsaid but very prominent complex that Michiganders have toward anything that symbolizes a progressive move in the right direction. So often times me driving my Tesla I am faced with these brainless buffoons who want to ideally make me go off road and crash and burn just cuz I'm driving a EV. Which ironically is more American made than their garbage pickup truck of Chevy SUV they might be driving.
My mother-in-law worked at Continental Plastics for a period of time where they were making small parts for Tesla. They eventually lost the contract but even that wasn’t enough to sway the masses.

This is why I can’t recommend a Tesla to my parents in Travers City. Until the corrupt State laws are fixed, it only makes sense to own a Tesla if you live near the Ohio border. Trucking cars all over the state is not cost effective for Tesla and can understand why they stopped.
Sadly, This is exactly what the big 3 want. It's how they win, but I get it.

Exactly!

In the beginning, Tesla was not focused on profit.

It created a salesforce with no commissions to focus on education the public about electric vehicles rather than making sales.

Somewhere along the line, its idealism has faded and now it focuses on sales and profits .
Ummmm if the company goes bankrupt who does that serve?