Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stand corrected: edited my post #79 to read "not nearly enough" instead of the absolute "nothing".
Still the sentiment remains the same, Tesla cares more about getting new people to buy than existing customers who already bought the vehicles. For a business to thrive, it needs both groups.

I do agree that Tesla needs to do more. I wish they could just snap their fingers and have 100 service centers per state and all the money to do so. But....reality.....

I completed understand you. My model 3 and X have crack in windshield. And I have to drive to Toledo since Tesla doesn't want to transfer to Cleveland. I am just worried that my whole window shatters on my way there.

Sad that Tesla doesn't help us any more.

I completed understand you. My model 3 and X have crack in windshield. And I have to drive to Toledo since Tesla doesn't want to transfer to Cleveland. I am just worried that my whole window shatters on my way there.

Sad that Tesla doesn't help us any more.

Can you go to a certified body shop closer to you for the glass repair? (If not a warranty issue).

Windshield shouldn’t shatter.

Why Don’t Windshields Shatter? A Quick Car Glass Explainer

Can you go to a certified body shop closer to you for the glass repair? (If not a warranty issue).

Windshield shouldn’t shatter.

Why Don’t Windshields Shatter? A Quick Car Glass Explainer
Checked a couple of repair place and the conclusion is the crack is beyond repair.

Most of the glass replacement place doesn't carry Tesla glass and has to order from Tesla, which they don't enjoy. One was telling me not to bother and call tesla instead.

Checked a couple of repair place and the conclusion is the crack is beyond repair.

Most of the glass replacement place doesn't carry Tesla glass and has to order from Tesla, which they don't enjoy. One was telling me not to bother and call tesla instead.

Does Tesla have a source for windshield glass replacement they can give you? Surely they know of shops that do the work and where they have shipped to before.

I hate states like Michigan, Texas, etc. They should be responsible to all of their citizens and those include Tesla owners.

Yea its pretty pathetic in how they've abandoned the Tesla owners in this state. The government had failed us to begin with this and now this company too. The writing is clear on the wall, I need to trade my S in for a Leaf or a Jaguar i-Pace or something. Its not going to be the best thing to go to either of those options, especially considering none of them have a supercharging network. But then again its better than driving 100 miles every time I need to get an issue fixed in my car.

Shame on Tesla...and shame on the corrupt MI administration. And I'm not even talking about the sky high $600+ annual registration that i have been paying to own a Tesla here. It makes no sense to own a Tesla here anymore.
You are not very informed to say you would trade your Tesla for a Leaf.:) But if you are into torturing yourself, go ahead...

Your other choices are cars that are not up to speed yet either. In all, you would be getting lesser vehicles. Shorter distance to service? Maybe. Each of these other brands have to have their trained specialized mechanic and often they are few and far between. You or your prospective car could have to possibly travel even farther for service. Need parts? Good luck with that too. Grass can look greener on the other side...

I am one that had to have my car go to Cleveland for a month so I do have some experience with this.

Please continue to battle for better government to fix the biggest issue of Tesla being locked out of Michigan.

Last edited:
Sounds like the sentiment is that the Big 3 are winning the war in Michigan since there are unhappy Tesla owners not wanting to buy/recommend Tesla anymore. So, get rid of your Tesla and get a Lincoln or Cadillac.

In all seriousness, yes it suck that Tesla is not flatbedding cars around Michigan anymore, but objectively speaking, it makes no sense to believe that was a sustainable long-term solution, anyway. The real issue is with the state legislature being bought and owned by the Big 3. They're the ones that the frustration needs to be directed at. I would call them and chew them out... since it's ultimately their decision. Chewing out Tesla makes no sense since they're at the mercy of Michigan's government.

Crappy situation, friend.
I think one issue is that Tesla sold customers cars while telling them the flatbed service is what they will get, and now they are not. Maybe they expected to win by now, and if so, they should have been open about it - "you get flat-bed service until 2019, then if we win with the state we will build service centers, but if we don't, you'll be on your own". The bigger issues is that Tesla cars require so much service, especially considering how much is computerized and the fact that Tesla can update all those computers over the air. As volumes of Tesla's exploded with the Model 3, service has become a major drain on Tesla finances, hence they are cutting where they can. They should just track how much service each new car needs on average and include that as part of the price of the car. For states like MI, they should account for each service requiring a flat-bed pickup/drop-off.

You are not very informed to say you would trade your Tesla for a Leaf.:) But if you are into torturing yourself, go ahead...

Your other choices are cars that are not up to speed yet either. In all, you would be getting lesser vehicles. Shorter distance to service? Maybe. Each of these other brands have to have their trained specialized mechanic and often they are few and far between. You or your prospective car could have to possibly travel even farther for service. Need parts? Good luck with that too. Grass can look greener on the other side...

I am one that had to have my car go to Cleveland for a month so I do have some experience with this.

Please continue to battle for better government to fix the biggest issue of Tesla being locked out of Michigan.

Did you read my comment, specifically wherein I mentioned that these aren't going to be the best options for me? I love the Tesla for its drive. I don't love it anymore for the myriad quality issues it has had and with Tesla taking a giant dump on Michigan customers just because its salivating over new sales. If they think they can get away with burning their loyalists then they are sadly mistaken.

ANd you're probably right about Leaf/Jaguar or Audi-Etron not having the right mechanics available for servicing the cars but then again having a SC close to me around 20-40 miles is much more manageable than wasting a day shipping my car to Tesla in Toledo.

I think one issue is that Tesla sold customers cars while telling them the flatbed service is what they will get, and now they are not. Maybe they expected to win by now, and if so, they should have been open about it - "you get flat-bed service until 2019, then if we win with the state we will build service centers, but if we don't, you'll be on your own". The bigger issues is that Tesla cars require so much service, especially considering how much is computerized and the fact that Tesla can update all those computers over the air. As volumes of Tesla's exploded with the Model 3, service has become a major drain on Tesla finances, hence they are cutting where they can. They should just track how much service each new car needs on average and include that as part of the price of the car. For states like MI, they should account for each service requiring a flat-bed pickup/drop-off.
The politicians would love for Tesla not to be competitively priced and that pricing model you suggest may not work well for car sales. Supposedly, flat bed trucks must have been figured in. I think the OP has a couple of minor problems and it is these lesser issues (like he is having) they don't want to flatbed. They want him to drive it in. Sorry, but a stubborn stance has been taken on both sides of this matter. It would be nice to know why the OP is unwilling to drive the 100 miles. If this wasn't first spawned by bought and paid for politicians this would be a non issue. Time to take our anger out on them and get new ones.

The politicians would love for Tesla not to be competitively priced and that pricing model you suggest may not work well for car sales. Supposedly, flat bed trucks must have been figured in. I think the OP has a couple of minor problems and it is these lesser issues (like he is having) they don't want to flatbed. They want him to drive it in. Sorry, but a stubborn stance has been taken on both sides of this matter. It would be nice to know why the OP is unwilling to drive the 100 miles. If this wasn't first spawned by bought and paid for politicians this would be a non issue. Time to take our anger out on them and get new ones.
Tesla has no choice, they cannot continue losing money. Their sales are exploding but they still can't break into profitability - that is not sustainable. Simply include the cost of service in the price but show people as a separate surcharge line item, so MI customers see that their politicians are effectively increasing the price of their car - like a tariff on warranty to cover the difference in doing warranty and good-will repairs (Tesla service just told me last week that any repair which doesn't include new parts is considered good-will). Tesla can lower that cost by improving their production quality too, less visits from new car owners, less cost, less surcharge for being in a state which requires flat-bedding - win win for everyone.

OP's car does not require a flat-bed truck for pick up/drop off. He can drive the car safely to the service center. If his car was unable to drive to a service center, I'm sure Tesla would send a flat-bed truck. I have seen them do that.

Let me clear it up for people like you who are all sticks and stones on such forums pelting nonsense toward anyone who is even the slightest bit frustrated with Tesla. My car has had a severe vibration issue on acceleration. It has been to the shop a couple of times already wherein Tesla SC claimed they fixed the issue. They sent back the car and the issue came up a week later. This is the third time it needs to go into the SC. They know they are in the wrong by sending back the car without doing anything to it (they have done that on multiple occasions). It is an issue that is making it feel unsafe to drive the car. There are other issues in the car that I need to be fixed as well, the screen being the least of my priorities.

If you're still having Tesla send over the flat bed to you then good for you. But then don't just assume anything about my situation and come on here talking garbage just because your mind is made up that I am in the wrong and that Tesla is all unicorns and pixies and the last remaining savior of humanity. Open your mind, and quit this embarrassing blind allegiance toward a company.

Reactions: ACA Man
Let me clear it up for people like you who are all sticks and stones on such forums pelting nonsense toward anyone who is even the slightest bit frustrated with Tesla. My car has had a severe vibration issue on acceleration. It has been to the shop a couple of times already wherein Tesla SC claimed they fixed the issue. They sent back the car and the issue came up a week later. This is the third time it needs to go into the SC. They know they are in the wrong by sending back the car without doing anything to it (they have done that on multiple occasions). It is an issue that is making it feel unsafe to drive the car. There are other issues in the car that I need to be fixed as well, the screen being the least of my priorities.

If you're still having Tesla send over the flat bed to you then good for you. But then don't just assume anything about my situation and come on here talking garbage just because your mind is made up that I am in the wrong and that Tesla is all unicorns and pixies and the last remaining savior of humanity. Open your mind, and quit this embarrassing blind allegiance toward a company.

What type of vibration, and would you mind sharing what line item that was included on the last 2 items where Tesla claimed they fixed it.

Usually goes like.

Customer states: Driver rocker panel was damaged while in service trying to correct panel gap.

Corrections: Rocker Panel LH

Then Tesla lists the parts and labor.

Then they show payment. Warranty. Good will. Customer pay.

You seem pretty detailed. You mentioned vibration. Trying to help. Not pelting anything. Remember you came here to share your problem on a forum about Tesla's. There are a few Tesla satisfied customers here. We are not in disbelief, but sharing more than my screen doesn't work and they won't pick my car up is not one I have heard of. Many screens are that way, and no one that I know would expect a pick up for that unless it was in for something else.

So can you do some screen shots of those invoices so we can talk about the vibration your experiencing, and while at it the other items?

Where are you at in MI? I’m in GR and have had my car flatbed to Cleveland. I asked mobile service recently if this was still a thing and they said yes. I don’t think you’re lying to us but I can’t help but wonder if you need to talk to someone else. They have been doing this for years.

The bench trial (Tesla vs MI) in GR is now scheduled for 2/4/2020. It was supposed to be this summer. Crazy how these things get delayed....

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SO16
I still suspect that the reason Tesla does not want to provide a flat bed and a loaner is because the OP is just wanting a new main screen to get rid of the little yellow line around the edges. OP has already had this done, and now wants it done again. Tesla probably wants to wait until they can sort out the UV treatment program, instead of just keep replacing expensive screens.

I still suspect that the reason Tesla does not want to provide a flat bed and a loaner is because the OP is just wanting a new main screen to get rid of the little yellow line around the edges. OP has already had this done, and now wants it done again. Tesla probably wants to wait until they can sort out the UV treatment program, instead of just keep replacing expensive screens.
You might be right, but then the discussion will turn into "if the manufacturer discovers they have a defective part, how long is considered reasonable to give them to fix it permanently, vs. continue to pay for temporary fixes". Tesla has had the yellow screen issue for a couple of years now, considering a standard lease is 3 years, that's two thirds of the lease time that the customer has to live with a defective part.

Does Tesla have a source for windshield glass replacement they can give you? Surely they know of shops that do the work and where they have shipped to before.

I hate states like Michigan, Texas, etc. They should be responsible to all of their citizens and those include Tesla owners.
Well, after contacting a few shops who contacts Tesla and gave me quote, it is the cheapest way for me to go to Tesla...

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset