Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta agree with Tribal here. But I think we're talking about more than just lack of service from a bait and switch standpoint.

Just purchased a 2016 Model X. Drove my family down to Chicago from Petoskey (whew..) and we had an awful experience, sort of like an apple store but with un-helped and disgruntled customers wandering around (I mean, we're only taking 10 or so) while scared (or annoyed) helpers flit in and out of 'employee only' areas avoiding eye contact, and having to interface with people. I'm the type that will maintain a super-nice demeanor so at not to burn any bridges, and help myself to be helped. Even so - didn't seem to matter.

After about an hour of "your server will be right with you" from various people that we all but tackled to even get someone to look directly at us, our delivery adviser appeared. I won't call him out by name, but he was exasperated that we even wanted to check the vehicle out, and even more so when we had questions about the quality issues. He'd go back into the service center (out back for a smoke?) and tell us "they Said no" at various times when we asked about things to be fixed. The whole feeling of Tesla at this point is - hey we're doing you a favor by even letting you buy one.

I get the leap of faith. I get the vision of sustainable transport. Car has a couple dents that weren't in the pictures. Scrapes that weren't in the pictures, A rip in the seat fabric that wasn't in the pictures. The list goes on. Our purchase-adviser assured us that Tesla would fix anything that wasn't in the pictures. Test drive this specific vehicle you want? No. Tesla Vehicle Records? No. Why not? [Insert evangelistic speech about the power of Elon's vision, and support of its' customers - who join the Tesla Family, and are forever taken care of] Truth discovered: We don't want you to hear the rods knocking when you step on the Accelerator.

The vehicle appears very sharp, red 2016 P100DL MX, black 22" wheels etc., after we poked and prodded -- got rejected on several (ostensibly quite legitimate) requests for repair or even promise of repair - we were told - hey, its' under warranty, and they'll come to you! (Ranger). I asked about Ranger service, and he made some joke like "You mean lone Ranger? That's a comic. We don't do Ranger anything." Perhaps I got the terminology wrong, but really - I mean - that's just not necessary. My family (including a 4 year old that had been so good for several hours at this location that it may have factored into my decision to just purchase it to get the hell out of there) was tired and cranky, and yes maybe I should have pulled out - but we'd all been so excited to pick it up, and it really was, after all, a cool vehicle - our advisor kept repeating anything wrong - they'll fix it under warranty - what's to lose?

I had wanted a Tesla for as long as I'd heard they made an SUV so we finally decided to pull the trigger. I had bought the car based on three things mainly:

1. Excellent 4Year/50K Mile warranty on a used vehicle
2. Ranger service! Won't that be great.
3. EV's can largely be fixed by OTA updates.

You know how it goes - don't really know what's wrong until you drive it a few days. The list of issues with the vehicle is long and distinguished. Our purchase advisor has gone silent. The Tesla App where we are supposed to select Ranger service apparently no longer allows this. Made an appointment anyway, still haven't received a call 10 days later so I can plead for a truck-roll. Our delivery person "Here, just call me!" won't return calls - I reached out to a local Tesla group I found online (our of desperation) and we have a meet up nearby this Saturday where hopefully I will get some phone numbers, contact names that are responsive etc.

I don't doubt I'll have to somehow get myself down to Toledo for for most of these issues, but it would be really nice to know that someone from Tesla actually gives a rip now that we've purchased the vehicle. I know I'm to blame for falling into the WOW.. TESLA! Gottahavit. pit, but man if they didn't just confirm our fears rather than allay them by clamming up right when we need help.

List of issues includes the dreaded Acceleration Shudder, 2nd row seats motor(s) dying along with horrible squealing as they move forward, general cabin/wheel vibration etc etc., (if anyone wants to know for some reason - morbid curiosity or otherwise, I can provide a complete list).

Anyway Tribal - I feel your frustration, even after just purchasing my vehicle, living in Michigan - / lack of a service center in say, Grand Rapids, Lansing, or even Traverse City (right, I know).

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Tribal here. But I think we're talking about more than just lack of service from a bait and switch standpoint.

Just purchased a 2016 Model X. Drove my family down to Chicago from Petoskey (whew..) and we had an awful experience, sort of like an apple store but with un-helped and disgruntled customers wandering around (I mean, we're only taking 10 or so) while scared (or annoyed) helpers flit in and out of 'employee only' areas avoiding eye contact, and having to interface with people. I'm the type that will maintain a super-nice demeanor so at not to burn any bridges, and help myself to be helped. Even so - didn't seem to matter.

After about an hour of "your server will be right with you" from various people that we all but tackled to even get someone to look directly at us, our delivery adviser appeared. I won't call him out by name, but he was exasperated that we even wanted to check the vehicle out, and even more so when we had questions about the quality issues. He'd go back into the service center (out back for a smoke?) and tell us "they Said no" at various times when we asked about things to be fixed. The whole feeling of Tesla at this point is - hey we're doing you a favor by even letting you buy one.

I get the leap of faith. I get the vision of sustainable transport. Car has a couple dents that weren't in the pictures. Scrapes that weren't in the pictures, A rip in the seat fabric that wasn't in the pictures. The list goes on. Our purchase-adviser assured us that Tesla would fix anything that wasn't in the pictures. Test drive this specific vehicle you want? No. Tesla Vehicle Records? No. Why not? [Insert evangelistic speech about the power of Elon's vision, and support of its' customers - who join the Tesla Family, and are forever taken care of] Truth discovered: We don't want you to hear the rods knocking when you step on the Accelerator.

The vehicle appears very sharp, red 2016 P100DL MX, black 22" wheels etc., after we poked and prodded -- got rejected on several (ostensibly quite legitimate) requests for repair or even promise of repair - we were told - hey, its' under warranty, and they'll come to you! (Ranger). I asked about Ranger service, and he made some joke like "You mean lone Ranger? That's a comic. We don't do Ranger anything." Perhaps I got the terminology wrong, but really - I mean - that's just not necessary. My family (including a 4 year old that had been so good for several hours at this location that it may have factored into my decision to just purchase it to get the hell out of there) was tired and cranky, and yes maybe I should have pulled out - but we'd all been so excited to pick it up, and it really was, after all, a cool vehicle - our advisor kept repeating anything wrong - they'll fix it under warranty - what's to lose?

I had wanted a Tesla for as long as I'd heard they made an SUV so we finally decided to pull the trigger. I had bought the car based on three things mainly:

You know how it goes - don't really know what's wrong until you drive it a few days. The list of issues with the vehicle is long and distinguished. Our purchase advisor has gone silent. The Tesla App where we are supposed to select Ranger service apparently no longer allows this. Made an appointment anyway, still haven't received a call 10 days later so I can plead for a truck-roll. Our delivery person "Here, just call me!" won't return calls - I reached out to a local Tesla group I found online (our of desperation) and we have a meet up nearby this Saturday where hopefully I will get some phone numbers, contact names that are responsive etc.

I don't doubt I'll have to somehow get myself down to Toledo for for most of these issues, but it would be really nice to know that someone from Tesla actually gives a rip now that we've purchased the vehicle. I know I'm to blame for falling into the WOW.. TESLA! Gottahavit. pit, but man if they didn't just confirm our fears rather than allay them by clamming up right when we need help.

List of issues includes the dreaded Acceleration Shudder, 2nd row seats motor(s) dying along with horrible squealing as they move forward, general cabin/wheel vibration etc etc., (if anyone wants to know for some reason - morbid curiosity or otherwise, I can provide a complete list).

Anyway Tribal - I feel your frustration, even after just purchasing my vehicle, living in Michigan - / lack of a service center in say, Grand Rapids, Lansing, or even Traverse City (right, I know).

Contact your local politician and say about how unfair it is that Michigan doesn’t allow service centers in the state.

Yes - I'll head on over to the sandbox and start pounding. It'll save some time.

Better yet contact your local news and/or radio station. Tesla stock is at an all-time high vehicles are among the most popular being sold right now. Strike while the iron is hot. Find a way to apply pressure to your legislators. They're not going to be caught on the wrong side of history in an upcoming election year.

Reactions: E Dizzle
Yes - I'll head on over to the sandbox and start pounding. It'll save some time.

Perhaps but at least you can say you tried. I drove my rep (Tommy Brann) in my Tesla Model S to Lansing a couple times. He was certainly supportive. Tesla owners in TX were able to influence their state government.

I also sent the governor a message and this was the response:

———————-

Thank you for reaching out to share your comments about Tesla sales in Michigan. I truly enjoy hearing from Michiganders from across the state, and I am grateful for the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, barriers Michiganders face in purchasing cars from Tesla are a result of statutes that the Michigan Legislature has put in place over the years, which limit how car manufacturers can do business in this state. Current laws bar Tesla from selling directly to consumers, so you can only place an order online and pick them up in neighboring states like Ohio or Illinois. As you may know, Tesla is currently in the process of working to change current laws. Legislation to amend this law was initially introduced in 2016 in Michigan but lacked significant support. If you would like to see a change in those laws, please contact your elected representatives in the Michigan House and Senate, and make your voice heard.

Michigan House of Representatives – You can find your State Representative by calling the House Clerk’s office at 517-373-0135 or by visiting www.house.michigan.gov.

Michigan State Senate – You can find your State Senator by calling Secretary of the Senate’s office at 517-373-2400 or by visiting www.senate.michigan.gov.

I remain committed to supporting businesses in Michigan and will continue to encourage businesses to invest in our state. Unfortunately, at this time, my administration is unable to intervene in legal cases, such as this one.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. On January 1, 2019, I took an oath to serve the state of Michigan, and I am committed to building bridges from state government to real Michiganders. Please do not hesitate to contact my office at (517) 335-7858, should you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Gretchen Whitmer
Governor of Michigan

Last edited:
Perhaps but at least you can say you tried. I drove my rep (Tommy Brann) in my Tesla Model S to Lansing a couple times. He was certainly supportive.

I also sent the governor a message and this was the response:

———————-

Thank you for reaching out to share your comments about Tesla sales in Michigan. I truly enjoy hearing from Michiganders from across the state, and I am grateful for the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, barriers Michiganders face in purchasing cars from Tesla are a result of statutes that the Michigan Legislature has put in place over the years, which limit how car manufacturers can do business in this state. Current laws bar Tesla from selling directly to consumers, so you can only place an order online and pick them up in neighboring states like Ohio or Illinois. As you may know, Tesla is currently in the process of working to change current laws. Legislation to amend this law was initially introduced in 2016 in Michigan but lacked significant support. If you would like to see a change in those laws, please contact your elected representatives in the Michigan House and Senate, and make your voice heard.

Michigan House of Representatives – You can find your State Representative by calling the House Clerk’s office at 517-373-0135 or by visiting www.house.michigan.gov.

Michigan State Senate – You can find your State Senator by calling Secretary of the Senate’s office at 517-373-2400 or by visiting www.senate.michigan.gov.

I remain committed to supporting businesses in Michigan and will continue to encourage businesses to invest in our state. Unfortunately, at this time, my administration is unable to intervene in legal cases, such as this one.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write. On January 1, 2019, I took an oath to serve the state of Michigan, and I am committed to building bridges from state government to real Michiganders. Please do not hesitate to contact my office at (517) 335-7858, should you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Gretchen Whitmer
Governor of Michigan

The lawsuit vs MI is going to federal court in GR in February. Everyone is most likely going to wait and see how that plays out vs taking action at this point.

The protectionism laws are antiquated and ridiculous. I don't understand how Michigan allows you to register, drive, and charge your Tesla in the State but bars you from purchasing directly in the State.

A majority of other States that allow Tesla Service Centers have the very same traditional dealerships that Michigan laws protect. If those traditional dealerships are okay with it in other States, why doesn't the Michigan legislature develop some common sense? The same brand dealerships compete with Tesla in an open market overseas so why not do the same everywhere here (in the U.S)?

You probably already know Tesla service centers can now fix the acceleration shudder.

And you probably also know that vibration is often caused by wheels that need to be balanced or ice on a wheel.

Re: other replies, because the Big Three are so important in MI, if I were in your place I wouldn't bother to contact legislators.

First of all I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Ugh! That sounds awful. Especially going through the hassle of driving from Petoskey to Chicago with a 4 year old. That must've been brutal. And to think that you might have to drive all the way to Toledo to get your car serviced just breaks my heart.

Your experience further cements my belief that Tesla just does not give a s**t anymore. Elon is busy dancing like a dunce in China while the stock price rises and his and his company's give-a-S-factor toward retaining customers continues to dwindle. This idiot started out with a commitment to his loyal customers who adapted early and bought the non-mass market expensive Teslas. He even shed a tear at one of the keynotes on how much customer loyalty toward Tesla meant to him and how it was pivotal to their success. And now its this very company that is shamelessly and absolutely remorselessly not in the least bit concerned about providing customer service or after sales support. You can't get to a human on the phone, everything happens in their stupid app and their service centers have zero human representation over the phone or email. They love texting you service updates but then if you have any question they provide zero answers and half ass service issues with 50% of the things unfixed.

Now whats going to happen is that fanboys are going to come out of the woodworks who are going to tell you ten different ways how YOU are at fault. They will talk about the Michigan government being at fault and how you should not blame Tesla and be feverishly writing to your reps, about how "you shouldn't have taken delivery"...or how "whats not in writing did not actually happen"...or that Elon can do no wrong...or they'll tell you "how dare you point fingers at Tesla when its trying to change the world'... you will see every darn weasly little finger pointed at you for daring to write about your negative experience and opinion about Tesla. These losers don't realize that we too are huge fans of the company and thus why took this giant leap of faith of being Tesla owners in a state where the company is banned. But anyway there's no convincing them.

I just wanted to write to you to let you know I feel your pain and feel horribly for you. The only bit of support I can provide is that if you do have to end up driving to Toledo from Petoskey (gulp) then its highly likely my house will fall in your route. And if you need to stop over for anything for a break or cup of coffee or for charging your X then don't hesitate to reach out to me. You can DM to connect with me.

The more I think about it and until Tesla issues a strong statement outlining changes in customer service, I will continue to feel that buying a Tesla was a sunk cost. It surely felt like an investment in the planet's future but it also undoubtedly feels like a sunk cost personally and the most expensive, risky mistake I have made in my life due to how horrible the after sales support has been. I keep waiting for a formidable competitor like Rivian or someone to make a splash but unfortunately for us who want to drive zero emission vehicles with a fast charging network then Tesla seems to be the only good option. Sorry, my rant is over. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck dealing with this dumpster fire of a company.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16
Wisconsin has the Michigan issue. The GOP passed rule changes to allow Tesla to do business until the Wisconsin auto dealers association gave a large donation to the Democratic governor who vetoed the bill.

Funny because in Michigan, it was a Republican Senator that strengthened the laws against Tesla and a Republican Governor at the time that signed it.

• Informative
Reactions: linux-works
First of all I am so sorry to hear of your experience. Ugh! That sounds awful. Especially going through the hassle of driving from Petoskey to Chicago with a 4 year old. That must've been brutal. And to think that you might have to drive all the way to Toledo to get your car serviced just breaks my heart.

Your experience further cements my belief that Tesla just does not give a s**t anymore. Elon is busy dancing like a dunce in China while the stock price rises and his and his company's give-a-S-factor toward retaining customers continues to dwindle. This idiot started out with a commitment to his loyal customers who adapted early and bought the non-mass market expensive Teslas. He even shed a tear at one of the keynotes on how much customer loyalty toward Tesla meant to him and how it was pivotal to their success. And now its this very company that is shamelessly and absolutely remorselessly not in the least bit concerned about providing customer service or after sales support. You can't get to a human on the phone, everything happens in their stupid app and their service centers have zero human representation over the phone or email. They love texting you service updates but then if you have any question they provide zero answers and half ass service issues with 50% of the things unfixed.

Now whats going to happen is that fanboys are going to come out of the woodworks who are going to tell you ten different ways how YOU are at fault. They will talk about the Michigan government being at fault and how you should not blame Tesla and be feverishly writing to your reps, about how "you shouldn't have taken delivery"...or how "whats not in writing did not actually happen"...or that Elon can do no wrong...or they'll tell you "how dare you point fingers at Tesla when its trying to change the world'... you will see every darn weasly little finger pointed at you for daring to write about your negative experience and opinion about Tesla. These losers don't realize that we too are huge fans of the company and thus why took this giant leap of faith of being Tesla owners in a state where the company is banned. But anyway there's no convincing them.

I just wanted to write to you to let you know I feel your pain and feel horribly for you. The only bit of support I can provide is that if you do have to end up driving to Toledo from Petoskey (gulp) then its highly likely my house will fall in your route. And if you need to stop over for anything for a break or cup of coffee or for charging your X then don't hesitate to reach out to me. You can DM to connect with me.

The more I think about it and until Tesla issues a strong statement outlining changes in customer service, I will continue to feel that buying a Tesla was a sunk cost. It surely felt like an investment in the planet's future but it also undoubtedly feels like a sunk cost personally and the most expensive, risky mistake I have made in my life due to how horrible the after sales support has been. I keep waiting for a formidable competitor like Rivian or someone to make a splash but unfortunately for us who want to drive zero emission vehicles with a fast charging network then Tesla seems to be the only good option. Sorry, my rant is over. I feel your pain and wish you the best of luck dealing with this dumpster fire of a company.

Yes, Tesla is at fault for poor service at a location. But I live in Michigan too and if there were service centers in this state, at least it would make it easier for us to deal with that bad service when it occurs.

Last edited:
ok. Maybe the postponement mentioned below wasn’t granted or it was retracted.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
Awe heck no :D (Referring to original message)

Upon consideration of the Joint Stipulation (ECF No. 264), and pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 16(b)(4) and Local Rule 16.1, the deadlines set out in the Fourth Amended Case Management Order (ECF No. 262) are hereby ADJOURNED. IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the parties shall file a joint notice, on or before April 1, 2020, setting forth a list of dates in 2020 in which both sides are available for trial.
Motion was grated, see attached

Original
Pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 16(b)(4) and Local Rule 16.1, the parties, by and through their undersigned counsel, hereby stipulate to and request an order modifying the Fourth Amended Case Management Order (ECF No. 262) in this matter. Specifically, the parties request that the Court enter an order adjourning all existing deadlines in this matter and order the parties to file a joint notice, on or before April 1, 2020, setting forth dates on which both sides are available for trial in 2020.

Attachments

• 09915664291.pdf
    16.7 KB · Views: 61
Thanks Tribal - and all for the info. For my part I'll just keep trying to contact the service center to set up a Ranger visit, then a likely trip to Toledo when possible. After reading Rich Rebuilds MX delivery saga (ery entertaining 4 part saga) experience I thought.. that's awful, but that can't be the norm. Oops.

For any that are interested / havent seen it - I'm probably late to the party but..

Thanks Tribal - and all for the info. For my part I'll just keep trying to contact the service center to set up a Ranger visit, then a likely trip to Toledo when possible. After reading Rich Rebuilds MX delivery saga (ery entertaining 4 part saga) experience I thought.. that's awful, but that can't be the norm. Oops.

For any that are interested / havent seen it - I'm probably late to the party but..

When Toledo first opened, they were sending the vehicles to Cleveland for the actual work. Not sure if that’s still the case.

• Informative
Reactions: Static_X