Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm disagreeing on it being a _clear_ violation of the interstate commerce clause.

The interstate commerce clause only says that Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce. But Congress hasn't regulated car sales and maintenance, only the vehicle and warranty.

I think Tesla will be pushing more on the other points, that the state government colluded with the dealers on the issue.

I'm hoping they can take down the entire protectionist US dealership model as well.

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and Evoforce
Wow, $600 registration. Is that just for EVs? How did they come up with that figure?

Michigan bases their registration fee on a portion of the original MSRP of the car. Not the current value. So for example, when I lived in MI 10 years ago the plates on my 20 year old Mercedes were more than the plates on my 11 year old Jetta, even though the Jetta was worth more at the time.

-J

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I’m a Tesla fanboy. I bought a Model X in 2017 and a Model 3 in June of last year. I also bought a ton of Tesla stock. My family and friends are sick of hearing me rave about the car.

Same promises were made to me when I bought my cars. Service was never going to be an issue. Ranger or Valet service with loaner.

But today they have confirmed in writing no valet service for Michigan. Even if you live 7 hours away. This is not what I expected from Tesla.

I've had the yellow touchscreen issue for over a year and now they finally have the tool to fix it; but I would have to spend basically the entire day in Toledo to get it fixed. So I cancelled my appointment.

I can understand others may have always had to take the car to a distant service center, but you knew that before buying the car. Those of us in Michigan were sold a car with the promise of valet service since there are no service centers in Michigan.

Yes; no service centers is because of our corrupt politicians that are in the pockets of the dealer association but, Tesla was always above that, and looked after it’s customers first. I guess no longer.

I had a conversation today with the person in charge of the Michigan region service and he said he has been hearing many of us complain but his hands are tied. He has bought it up to senior management multiple times but as of now nothing is changing.

I’m concerned this will not only hurt Tesla sales in Michigan but will dent the brand as well. One that relies on word of mouth.

My father was planning to get a Model S in December, not now. I have 2 other friends that were getting a Tesla this year and are now reconsidering.

I can no longer recommend a Tesla to anyone in Michigan that is not close to Toledo, OH.

Hi

I own a Tesla Model S since 2016. When I purchased the car, everything was hunky dory for S and X owners in Michigan since Tesla promised to send a flatbed to pick up your car and give you a loaner or send a ranger to fix your car issues. This arrangement lasted for a while but has lately gotten rocky to the point that now Tesla is downright abandoning their Michigan customers.

Last couple of times I have tried scheduling a service with Tesla they gave me a hard time about picking up my car then said they'd charge $100 for the picking up and dropping off a loaner. I pushed back and they showed some flexibility and continued the arrangement of picking up my car and dropping off a loaner one time.

But in the latest instance wherein I setup a service appointment (to fix the dreaded yellow screen and driving vibration issue under warranty), Tesla tells me that I will need to drive my car to either Toledo or Cleveland to get it taken care of. The problem is that I live approx. 90 miles one-way from Toledo and much farther still from Cleveland. I called up and asked why the heck were they being so difficult about this and they said that apparently they are doing this to even customers all the way in Traverse City. Now I don't know how much truth is associated with that last statement but if a Tesla customer in TC is expected to drive 300 miles to Toledo service then 1) either they think Tesla owners in Michigan are downright dumb or 2) such Tesla customers are so loyal to Tesla that they don't think anything of wasting an entire couple of days just driving their car to and from the Tesla service centers. In either case the situation is awful.

If this is the way Tesla chooses to treat its Michigan customers then I can safely say this is going to lead to an increasing number of customers moving away from purchasing a Tesla. I love my Tesla and love the fact that I am not driving an ICE but I have to say that Tesla with its myriad of quality issues that my car has experienced and now dwindling customer service is making me strongly consider trading in my car for a Nissan Leaf or something. At least I won't have to drive my Leaf 100 miles to get it serviced. Ever since the Model 3 launch I feel Tesla has gone to a terrible place in terms of their wait times and lack of customer service.

I am writing all this to inquire if other Michigan owners have lately had the same troublesome experience with getting Tesla service scheduled and car picked up? If yes and if you live upward of 70 miles away from Tesla service then how are you going about dealing with this situation? I am curious to hear some perspectives on this as from my standpoint this is an incredibly frustrating and brainless move Tesla is making toward Michigan customers. This is leaving me feeling quite distraught and considering options of getting rid of my Tesla. As hard as it would be to give up on Tesla I feel that the quality issues are too many in my car (and other Teslas from what I have read) and to waste half a day going to and from a service center every time is just absolutely assinine but it seems like Tesla has put its foot down and is not thinking this through for Michigan customers.

Thank you!

I’m a Tesla fanboy. I bought a Model X in 2017 and a Model 3 in June of last year. I also bought a ton of Tesla stock. My family and friends are sick of hearing me rave about the car.

Same promises were made to me when I bought my cars. Service was never going to be an issue. Ranger or Valet service with loaner.

But today they have confirmed in writing no valet service for Michigan. Even if you live 7 hours away. This is not what I expected from Tesla.

I've had the yellow touchscreen issue for over a year and now they finally have the tool to fix it; but I would have to spend basically the entire day in Toledo to get it fixed. So I cancelled my appointment.

I can understand others may have always had to take the car to a distant service center, but you knew that before buying the car. Those of us in Michigan were sold a car with the promise of valet service since there are no service centers in Michigan.

Yes; no service centers is because of our corrupt politicians that are in the pockets of the dealer association but, Tesla was always above that, and looked after it’s customers first. I guess no longer.

I had a conversation today with the person in charge of the Michigan region service and he said he has been hearing many of us complain but his hands are tied. He has bought it up to senior management multiple times but as of now nothing is changing.

I’m concerned this will not only hurt Tesla sales in Michigan but will dent the brand as well. One that relies on word of mouth.

My father was planning to get a Model S in December, not now. I have 2 other friends that were getting a Tesla this year and are now reconsidering.

I can no longer recommend a Tesla to anyone in Michigan that is not close to Toledo, OH.

Hopefully the Tesla v Michigan lawsuit in Feb 2020 clears this up. I am disgusted by our Michigan politicians.

Reactions: MP3Mike

I really appreciate your post. Just like you I am at a point of feeling confused. Because on one hand I have spent perhaps a good part of 7 years rooting for Tesla ever since I saw the first Tesla Model S in a mall in NJ. I have been rooting for this company, going on forums to talk positive about it and about Elon Musk, I have been doing anything and everything in my power to spread the good word about all the groundbreaking and "future changing" stuff that Elon and Tesla has tried to pull off. Shutting down naysayers on comment sections and talking highly positive about the company in any social setting that brought up the opportunity to speak about EVs and esp. Tesla.

But I feel confused and disgusted and disillusioned to see what Tesla has become. The shameless and awful way in which it is turning its back on Michigan customers and going back on its word has left me with a lot of disdain and contempt for Tesla. They are now singularly focused on their Model 3 numbers and feel that they can make rash decisions on the customer service front falsely assuming that this will not hurt them. But they are so wrong. To turn their backs on an entire state's customers is a grosely miscalculated move at best.

And just like you I had 2 different families who admired our Tesla and keep inquiring about it asking questions, etc. at social gatherings. I like the typical Tesla fanboy that I was always used to feed them the positives about how incredible the car is and how amazing the company is. But now I strongly admonish them against going for a X and a 3 respectively. I tell them about the myriad of quality issues that occurred in my Model S and how with them removing the valet service support its just not worth it, rather it is risky owning a Tesla in Michigan.

I am done with this company. I am looking toward trading it in for an eTron or iPace. I know I will miss the Tesla dearly but I cannot stand behind this company anymore which has no qualms or shame about going back on its word and burning its early adapting loyal customers. I am done with Tesla.

...shameless and awful way in which it is turning its back on Michigan customers and going back on its word has left me with a lot of disdain and contempt for Tesla...

Money seemed not to be an object in the early days. It was willing to pour money for towing, valet, mobile service... as long as customers would be happy even if they were in a Tesla-forbidden land hundreds of miles away. The emphasis was to build trust and reputation.

But things have changed. The demand to be profitable is just too vocal to be ignored so Tesla has caved in to the demand and it now acts just like any other business to emphasize profits first and cut costs even at the expense of trust and reputation.

Hopefully, when Tesla will become profitable and strong, it will be able to compensate for its absence in Michigan with first-class mobile service and towing again!

Reactions: Fiddler
Hopefully, when Tesla will become profitable and strong, it will be able to compensate for its absence in Michigan with first-class mobile service and towing again!

Not gonna happen...

Not because I think Tesla doesn't wan't it to, but it can't....

Lest people forget...Tesla is a public company....they have shareholders....(and activist shareholders at some point...) and they have no choice. The quarterly 10K trumps everything else. They have got to make Wall St happy. You do realize that Elon...has a humongous pay package riding on the stock price...don't you?

The service doesn't matter...the quality doesn't matter...as long as sales are coming in...and the bottom line can be "manipulated" to look good...or really good...that's all that matters.

Not gonna happen...

Not because I think Tesla doesn't wan't it to, but it can't....

Lest people forget...Tesla is a public company....they have shareholders....(and activist shareholders at some point...) and they have no choice. The quarterly 10K trumps everything else. They have got to make Wall St happy. You do realize that Elon...has a humongous pay package riding on the stock price...don't you?

The service doesn't matter...the quality doesn't matter...as long as sales are coming in...and the bottom line can be "manipulated" to look good...or really good...that's all that matters.

I think if sElon could find another good path to making Tesla Private (without the Saudis), I think he would do it.

Yes it is tough for Michigan owners at this time because of that valet service. When I bought my S, they did tell me about the valet service. That just isn’t sustainable without local service centers. Tesla MUST win this case against Michigan.

In the meantime, every Michigan Tesla owner should make a point to contact the governor and their reps to say how disgraceful it is that Michigan is for preventing the free market. Too allow the dealerships to continue to get government protection. People bitch about Tesla in Michigan and yes it has declined. But don’t be lazy. Michigan Tesla owners need to get off their asses and tell our state government how bad this is.

Hopefully the Tesla v Michigan lawsuit in Feb 2020 clears this up. I am disgusted by our Michigan politicians.

Yet you guys keep voting for them.... It blows my mind (and I see this in other states, and even federal) that Democrats will struggle between the green/environmental portion of their platform and the labor union portion of their platform. Tesla straddles that spectrum where the UAW vs. Tesla is a big contradictory issue, as well as the news media vs. Tesla where they almost cheer for Tesla's defeat, as well as the dealer associations, etc. It's sad to see, but very interesting.

Reactions: croman
Yet you guys keep voting for them.... It blows my mind (and I see this in other states, and even federal) that Democrats will struggle between the green/environmental portion of their platform and the labor union portion of their platform. Tesla straddles that spectrum where the UAW vs. Tesla is a big contradictory issue, as well as the news media vs. Tesla where they almost cheer for Tesla's defeat, as well as the dealer associations, etc. It's sad to see, but very interesting.

FYI is was bipartisan MI government that banned Tesla in MI. And a republican governor if you must know who signed the bill into law.

You are correct about most Voters. It was a republican who made the law more strict (Joe Hune) and it was a Republican Governor Schneider who signed it.

I sure as hell don’t. I even spent two days in lansing talking to every rep I could about Tesla. I also handed out several books from TeslaTap.com.

Also drove my local rep Tommy Brann to work twice. He’s sold. Also contacted the previous governor and new one.

there was also a Democrat that had a Tesla but sold it. He loved the car but got too much pressure from his union constituents. I forget his name.

Last edited:
FYI is was bipartisan MI government that banned Tesla in MI. And a republican governor if you must know who signed the bill into law.

it was a republican Joe Hune who strengthened the law. It was a republican governor who signed it into law. I contacted the governors office after the initial signing and they said they would review it again in the future. Well....no change the next time it came up.

Free market republicans MY ASS!

Fortunately there are some other decent republicans trying to help out Tesla. Tommy Brann and another one that I Think his first name is Alex. He’s a good guy.

it was a republican Joe Hune who strengthened the law. It was a republican governor who signed it into law. I contacted the governors office after the initial signing and they said they would review it again in the future. Well....no change the next time it came up.

Free market republicans MY ASS!

Fortunately there are some other decent republicans trying to help out Tesla. Tommy Brann and another one that I Think his first name is Alex. He’s a good guy.

Exactly. Free market republican my ass. But - in Michigan it is definitely both parties. They're all scumbags... that's the reality. Just amazes me that the party that is supposedly all about sustainability and environmental respect, and happens to now be in charge, still isn't making any effort to allow Tesla to change the world. Seems they're more interested in the deep pockets of the UAW and the Big 3 than their feel good platform BS.

Reactions: SO16