Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bay City/Saginaw SC: Not sure if this is the right place for this. I'm from Toronto, but often drive up to Gaylord to see my daughter and grandchildren. Without that planned charger in Bay City it is not practical to go there in my Tesla. Is there a big need in Michigan to have an SC half way between Detroit and the Mackinaw Bridge?

It would be a big deal to me.

Bay City/Saginaw SC: Not sure if this is the right place for this. I'm from Toronto, but often drive up to Gaylord to see my daughter and grandchildren. Without that planned charger in Bay City it is not practical to go there in my Tesla. Is there a big need in Michigan to have an SC half way between Detroit and the Mackinaw Bridge?

It would be a big deal to me.
The 2016 plan is:
Bay City / Saginaw
Port Huron
Lansing
Traverse City
Grayling
Ludington

As far as how big of a need, I do not know. However, that's Tesla's Plan (which is always subject to change). Keep in mind, Tesla executed their last 7 month Michigan roll out on time (and as planned). So, if the next 9 month go according to plan, you'll be able to Super Charge on your way to Gaylord.

Last edited:
Thanks Joel and toms, As you note, maybe I can pull it off this Christmas with the public charger in Bay City. I didn't know about it.

Port Huron and Grayling would be excellent. As for Gaylord, I can use my daughter's dryer outlet :) But that is all for sometime next year ...

Maumee Supercharger:
- It is almost at the end of the Meijer parking lot.
- Meijer (24 hours) is little away from the supercharger, but these places are very close to it.

(2) Deet's BBQ

Visited this SC yesterday. Good meal at Deet's. No other cars when we arrived; one other car
charging when we left. The SC itself is not super-easy to find in the cast Meijer parking lot.

I charged at Ann Arbor for the first time yesterday. No other cars in sight the whole time. All the neighboring construction is complete and there's now a Texas Roadhouse and Starbucks just steps away from it. None of that was there last summer when I first scouted it.

Reactions: dapao
Yep, the Ann Arbor location is great for people. (No Tesla yet, but grew up and live here).

In the Meijer parking lot there is a Starbucks, Texas Roadhouse, Five Guys, Pancheros. Within walking distance (under 10 minutes) there's a McDonald's, Best Buy (actually a whole shopping complex where bestbuy is), a local breakfast/pancake place, and a Outback Steakhouse.

Reactions: dapao
The 2016 plan is:
Bay City / Saginaw
Port Huron
Lansing
Traverse City
Grayling
Ludington
With 2016 drawing to a close, they have officially moved the locations they didn't get to this year to the 2017 map. The northern Michigan marker has moved from what looked like Gaylord before to its proper location in Grayling, and Battle Creek has been added as well. The random mid-Michigan locations have been removed.
2017-michigan.jpg

I grew up in Michigan and kinda want to drive there just to see what it's like to go to a Supercharger with no other cars in it. That's unimaginable here in California, we get excited when we are the only one waiting in line!
I went to high school in Michigan. A few months ago I went back to see if anything had changed since >50 years ago. Some things had changed.

Mine was the only Tesla I saw anywhere near the then new Port Huron Supercharger. As I came over the bridge into Michigan the US Immigration guy spent five minutes grilling me about my Tesla, not a problem since nobody was waiting and I was not in a hurry. Later I charged at the Dearborn City Hall (several free stalls, working very well at 240/30). Nobody else was charging when I arrived, nobody when I left. Then I parked at the Henry Ford Museum, whereupon three people started asking about my Tesla. I was surprised but never more so than when another Model S parked beside me. Later when I left there was a third Model S sitting beside us both.

With all the Michiganders discussing their Teslas I actually expected to see more of them. I did not go back to visit my own childhood area but I'll wager it is all ICE there (South Central, about 30 miles from Angola Supercharger and about 20 from the upcoming Battle Creek Supercharger).

I know this is slightly OT, but I suspect many of us former Michiganders will bring out Teslas back to visit as the infrastructure develops. Now, if we all can get the crazy laws changed!

Reactions: jvonbokel