Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's unfortunate they went with Whitewood instead of Moosomin. The location at the Red Barn in Moosomin brought with it a lot of food options, with the Red Barn itself being excellent plus A&W, KFC, Subway, Dairy Queen, and a couple of Pizza shops all within easy walking distance.

The Whitewood location doesn't have much, and the only sit down food option around there is a bit of a hike.

That being said, I can understand why Tesla did it. This will shave off a required charger through for them Sask (at least in the short term), it's just a bit disappointing.
The typical v3 supercharging stop in summer could be as little as 15 minutes so the amenities aren't as important.

I remember back before the Trans-Canada Highway was even on the map, armchair "experts" like myself (i.e. not experts at all) looked at how many would be needed to complete certain sections. Then when the grey dots first appeared, they were closer together than expected, certainly closer than other parts of North America. I expect this was either due to the climate (a safety net due to cold weather) or maybe they were planning to increase the density across the rest of the continent to this level.

This new gap is more like their original "standard" distances, but maybe the arrival of Raven S & Xs, and the LR Model 3 has made them more comfortable with this sort of gap?

OR... maybe they're doubling down and are not going from 2 to 1 intermediate locations, but 2 to 3... and there will be additional sites at the 1/4 and 3/4 distances!

Note my "armchair (non-)expert" status continues...

I remember back before the Trans-Canada Highway was even on the map, armchair "experts" like myself (i.e. not experts at all) looked at how many would be needed to complete certain sections. Then when the grey dots first appeared, they were closer together than expected, certainly closer than other parts of North America. I expect this was either due to the climate (a safety net due to cold weather) or maybe they were planning to increase the density across the rest of the continent to this level.

This new gap is more like their original "standard" distances, but maybe the arrival of Raven S & Xs, and the LR Model 3 has made them more comfortable with this sort of gap?

OR... maybe they're doubling down and are not going from 2 to 1 intermediate locations, but 2 to 3... and there will be additional sites at the 1/4 and 3/4 distances!

Note my "armchair (non-)expert" status continues...
Yes the average range of the Teslas on the road at this point is much longer than it used to be. And honestly, if you are driving across Canada in winter in an S60 or something, you should really know what you are getting into. That's more on you than it is on the network to provide a fool-proof amount of superchargers.

Yes the average range of the Teslas on the road at this point is much longer than it used to be. And honestly, if you are driving across Canada in winter in an S60 or something, you should really know what you are getting into. That's more on you than it is on the network to provide a fool-proof amount of superchargers.
Sure the average is going up, but at some point even those 300+ nominal vehicles will degrade down around 240mi full range and come winter driving West into the teeth of -30C, 30kph wind becomes a rather dangerous proposition.

"You can't drive long distance in winter weather" ain't going to cut it if you want to go mainstream, and going mainstream is Tesla's core mission.

I have a LR-AWD Model 3 and I just want to know if 240km is a dicey highway drive in prairie winters... How about 300km? As I said, without superchargers, I haven't had the chance to try this sort of thing last winter.

I believe you should have about the same range as my 2017 MS 100d. I’ve driven Calgary to Med Hat in a blizzard with uncleared snow on the road and a strong headwind. They did close portions of the road after we had passed, so it’s about the limit of bad weather. It was reasonably close, but I wasn’t too concerned. 325 would be a nice limit, I’d push that to 350 if I had to.

Draft behind other vehicles.
Watch the energy graph.
Turn off (down) the heat and use the seat heaters.
Play with all of this before you need it.

Reactions: SammichLover
I believe you should have about the same range as my 2017 MS 100d. I’ve driven Calgary to Med Hat in a blizzard with uncleared snow on the road and a strong headwind. They did close portions of the road after we had passed, so it’s about the limit of bad weather. It was reasonably close, but I wasn’t too concerned. 325 would be a nice limit, I’d push that to 350 if I had to.

Draft behind other vehicles.
Watch the energy graph.
Turn off (down) the heat and use the seat heaters.
Play with all of this before you need it.
That is downhill and probably downwind though. You'd have had a tough time in the opposite direction. Generally speaking, I don't think you'll have an issue going 240km in either of those cars, but in really horrible conditions, 300km could be tough. Still should be doable using hypermiling techniques, but some care needs to be taken.

Reactions: SammichLover
That is downhill and probably downwind though. You'd have had a tough time in the opposite direction. Generally speaking, I don't think you'll have an issue going 240km in either of those cars, but in really horrible conditions, 300km could be tough. Still should be doable using hypermiling techniques, but some care needs to be taken.
True it is 400m difference, but wind does blow from the East occasionally.

The biggest thing is you’re not going to have much wiggle room & -30 is serious business in that sort of environment. Not that ICE won’t potentially fail in that sort of scenario, too. It’s pretty extreme conditions.

I assume too in inclement weather one is not doing the 110kph or more typical in good weather. That too should help with range? (I read somewhere the ideal range-friendly drive was around 100kph or 90kph, reducing wind resistance power consumption.)

I assume too in inclement weather one is not doing the 110kph or more typical in good weather. That too should help with range? (I read somewhere the ideal range-friendly drive was around 100kph or 90kph, reducing wind resistance power consumption.)

When I was down in Mesa I rented an 18 P3D+ and when travelling only 90km/h (as a test) our expected range was around 540km and it was only about 21 Celcius outside. that was with 3 people and luggage in the car. I can't remember off hand the wh/km

I find it easier to follow someone with the distance set to one. The result is similar to slowing down because both block the wind.

Having said that, yes, slowing down makes a big difference.

I find it easier to follow someone with the distance set to one. The result is similar to slowing down because both block the wind.

Having said that, yes, slowing down makes a big difference.

Be careful with that. Following so closely can result in a lot of rock chips to the paint and windshield pitting. I'll only do this in an emergency.

Reactions: RiverBrick
Might we be seeing a Supercharger in Davidson, SK sometime soon?
@Chuq (heads-up warning) @DigAdrenaline @lloydbrokeit @1.21 Jiggawatts @InternetDude

5E1CF636-C0A7-44F0-BD8B-8AEA92E5266B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Might we be seeing a Supercharger in Davidson, SK sometime soon?
@Chuq (heads-up warning) @DigAdrenaline @lloydbrokeit @1.21 Jiggawatts @InternetDude

View attachment 441378
We confirmed construction this morning. The manager of the Davidson Coop gas station confirmed there was an excavator on site this morning and they had started. Completion is expected on October

This is huge news for us because there is so much travel between saskatoon and regina for sports and concerts.

We confirmed construction this morning. The manager of the Davidson Coop gas station confirmed there was an excavator on site this morning and they had started. Completion is expected on October

This is huge news for us because there is so much travel between saskatoon and regina for sports and concerts.

Lite em up!

Calgary-Winnipeg and back. Two weekends in a row, and discussion of a possible threepeat this weekend. I’m super excited.

I’m thankful for the Chademo, and even more excited for Superchargers. Woohoo!

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts