Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We confirmed construction this morning. The manager of the Davidson Coop gas station confirmed there was an excavator on site this morning and they had started. Completion is expected on October

This is huge news for us because there is so much travel between saskatoon and regina for sports and concerts.
This is big news for anyone in Saskatoon or Edmonton. I'd be looking for construction in places like Saskatoon, Lloydminster, Innisfree and Battleford as well.

Reactions: 1.21 Jiggawatts
When I was down in Mesa I rented an 18 P3D+ and when travelling only 90km/h (as a test) our expected range was around 540km and it was only about 21 Celcius outside. that was with 3 people and luggage in the car. I can't remember off hand the wh/km

Fairly simple math Conversation.

(540 km \ 335.54 mi) / 75 KW = (7.2 km \ 4.47Mi)per 1 kW

1.0/7.2= (138.8 wh/km.) or 1.0/4.7= (223.7 wh/mi)

Fairly simple math Conversation.

(540 km \ 335.54 mi) / 75 KW = (7.2 km \ 4.47Mi)per 1 kW

1.0/7.2= (138.8 wh/km.) or 1.0/4.7= (223.7 wh/mi)

Your units are wrong. It’s kWh, not kW.

kW is a measure of instantaneous power, like horsepower. kWh is a measure of energy, like a gallon of gasoline*.

* one gallon of gasoline is equal to 33.7 kWh of electricity.

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
A general question - does the fact that this route is almost entirely V3 make it worth the wait? :)
IMHO V2 vs V3 is a non issue. Realistically if you look at charge rates over the entire charge interval, you only get a few minutes difference in charge time, and only if your battery is closer to the 0% end of SoC. Tesla so far has provided homogeneous types at charge sites (ie. only 72kW Urban chargers, only 150kW V2 or only 250kW V3).

If I am travelling across the country, there are some locations where I want to have a meal, and an urban charger would be preferred. Other locations I just want a bathroom break, and a V3 might be nice. A V3 would be a negative for me if I want to eat. Either of these might be desired at the same location at different times.

A site with a mix of Urban, V2 and V3 would be my sweet spot.

IMHO V2 vs V3 is a non issue. Realistically if you look at charge rates over the entire charge interval, you only get a few minutes difference in charge time, and only if your battery is closer to the 0% end of SoC. Tesla so far has provided homogeneous types at charge sites (ie. only 72kW Urban chargers, only 150kW V2 or only 250kW V3).

If I am travelling across the country, there are some locations where I want to have a meal, and an urban charger would be preferred. Other locations I just want a bathroom break, and a V3 might be nice. A V3 would be a negative for me if I want to eat. Either of these might be desired at the same location at different times.

A site with a mix of Urban, V2 and V3 would be my sweet spot.

Even a few destination chargers at some. (Crossiron). This is really true.

But what’s more, it’s interesting because people who don’t own EVs complain all the time that they take too long to charge, but people who do own them are starting to complain that they often charge too fast.

Ideal would be:
1) the app should have a feature of “I want to charge for xxx minutes”, so it could adjust charging as appropriate. Maybe “I want to leave at xxx time.” Whatever. Basically a flexible way to turn a v3 into a destination.
2) an awareness of Charger need. So if the location is more than 60% full, you just charge at full speed, regardless of the setting from #1.
3) a setting for “opportunity” charging, so that you can be throttled down automatically by the charger.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Even a few destination chargers at some. (Crossiron). This is really true.

But what’s more, it’s interesting because people who don’t own EVs complain all the time that they take too long to charge, but people who do own them are starting to complain that they often charge too fast.

Ideal would be:
1) the app should have a feature of “I want to charge for xxx minutes”, so it could adjust charging as appropriate. Maybe “I want to leave at xxx time.” Whatever. Basically a flexible way to turn a v3 into a destination.
2) an awareness of Charger need. So if the location is more than 60% full, you just charge at full speed, regardless of the setting from #1.
3) a setting for “opportunity” charging, so that you can be throttled down automatically by the charger.
Isn't that just allowing you to "hog" charging capacity and block others from being able to charge? If the SC site is pretty much full then everyone should charge ASAP and move their car ASAP. I know what you're saying as you don't want to have to get up in the middle of a meal to move your car, but that does not give you the right to block others from being able to charge.

Sorry I missed that, but either way I still don't think it makes sense as what if a several cars show up and they are now blocked as you are taking longer than you had to.
I think the ability to do it is already there when you’re at, and stay at, <%50 stalls used. Plug it in, go to the restaurant, and come back when you’re done. However you have to manually watch your app closely and be ready to get the vehicle fast. Not something I’m interested in. Theoretically Tesla could further automate this with only sending the “Disconnect & move now” warning when it saw more vehicles that would send it over 1/2 capacity approaching the SC.

Besides I find that the issue is already there with V2 for Model 3 LR since they bumped the charge rate to nominally 150kW and sped up the curve above 50% SOC.

As for V3, looking at the curves people posted, I’m expecting a double digit percentage drop in total time to charge. I expect the 3-4 min shorter time will feel substantial, that I’ll get the sense the car is waiting on me even when driving alone.

PS Because V3 isn’t using shared pairs, the 50% number before charging for idle fees could be changed to something higher. Although “half full” is a more user friendly rule for people to remember and follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: lensovet
Does Tesla not charge for being plugged in when charging is complete? I thought I read that somewhere.

Plus there was something about only charging to 80% or 90% in busy times?
Both those things are correct. You get 5 minutes of grace after your charging is complete. Then idle fees start.

And yes during busy periods you will be limited at the supercharger. I was limited to 80% at the Port Hope Ontario supercharger this weekend (labour day).

Both those things are correct. You get 5 minutes of grace after your charging is complete. Then idle fees start.
But only if at least half the stalls are occupied. They also double the idle rate when all stalls are occupied. Supercharger Idle Fee

I don’t know if anyone has ever checked the interactions between the 50% trigger and SC with “phantom” use on it, where your map shows a stall is in use but no one is physically there.

Plus there was something about only charging to 80% or 90% in busy times?
80% and those so far, and the 40 min max limit, on V2 have only been signs. It isn’t enforced in any way that i’ve heard of. I don’t know if that limit on that appeared on the first V3 test site in CA enforced it?

It isn’t really a good limit to have as a hard rule, anyway. There are legitimate reasons to charge past that.

Reactions: doghousePVD
How do they charge you the idle fees? I have a 2015 Model S so I have free Supercharging for life and I have never given them a credit card number.
That was an issue, yes. My understanding is eventually they went to a rule that after you get too big an outstanding amount owed you can't SC until you pay it. I don't know how strictly they enforce that since I've never had idle fees nor free supercharging.