Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid-Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried calling six different places in Kenora ON this morning including the tourist information center, and nobody had any information about Tesla chargers - everyone pointed me at existing chargers which are already on Plugshare. I would have assumed the Prawda MB crew would have made their way to Kenora by now, so I'm not sure if it is just not common knowledge in town or whether a supercharger will be somewhere outside Kenora.

Tried calling six different places in Kenora ON this morning including the tourist information center, and nobody had any information about Tesla chargers - everyone pointed me at existing chargers which are already on Plugshare. I would have assumed the Prawda MB crew would have made their way to Kenora by now, so I'm not sure if it is just not common knowledge in town or whether a supercharger will be somewhere outside Kenora.
Yeah, Kenora would be a bit hard to find something by calls because it’s already a way bigger city than Nipigon, Wawa or White River.

I also came across this article in the local news about a large theft of copper wire in mid-August - The timing makes me wonder if somebody grabbed the copper which was intended for a few more stations and whether that may have stalled Eastbound buildout for a bit: Copper wire stolen from north end business

Prawda work appeared to be relatively complete in the first week of August - that makes it possible that the crew had moved to Kenora when this theft happened

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab

I wonder if contacting the Ontario Provincial Police station- Kenora would yield something. +1 807-548-5534 It happens to be next door to Canadian tire. But the the street view shows it as Wal-Mart.

I wonder if contacting the Ontario Provincial Police station- Kenora would yield something. +1 807-548-5534 It happens to be next door to Canadian tire. But the the street view shows it as Wal-Mart.
Gonna be honest here - OPP in northwestern Ontario towns is extremely busy and under-resourced, and I wouldn't even consider calling them to ask about this as a result (I grew up in Thunder Bay). They've got far more important things to worry about and I wouldn't want to take up their precious time with something like this.

Reactions: bpjod and Goggs
I also came across this article in the local news about a large theft of copper wire in mid-August - The timing makes me wonder if somebody grabbed the copper which was intended for a few more stations and whether that may have stalled Eastbound buildout for a bit: Copper wire stolen from north end business

Prawda work appeared to be relatively complete in the first week of August - that makes it possible that the crew had moved to Kenora when this theft happened

the base prep work I've seen (Portage) does not include any wiring. That would be the Hydro people working with wire, at least until the big white cabinets show up like in Davidson. Not many sites have those yet. I assume Hydro has its own reliable wire supplies, does not take wire or candy from strangers - after all, if something fails you want to be sure it wasn't because someone supplied you with substandard wire.

the base prep work I've seen (Portage) does not include any wiring. That would be the Hydro people working with wire, at least until the big white cabinets show up like in Davidson. Not many sites have those yet. I assume Hydro has its own reliable wire supplies, does not take wire or candy from strangers - after all, if something fails you want to be sure it wasn't because someone supplied you with substandard wire.
Interesting - sounds like a difference between the eastbound and westbound crews! They have been installing wire on the westbound buildouts e.g. this picture from Sault Ste Marie:
ef77def7-444a-4abc-8c3d-653cf29e5211-jpeg.448527

Interesting - sounds like a difference between the eastbound and westbound crews! They have been installing wire on the westbound buildouts e.g. this picture from Sault Ste Marie:
ef77def7-444a-4abc-8c3d-653cf29e5211-jpeg.448527
There are three different crews doing 3 different segments.
One is the Ontario crew which is doing installs from Deep River to Kenora
Another is the Prince Albert crew which is doing installs from Prawda to Swift Current
Last is the Albertan crew which is doing installs from Maple Creek to Bassano (or further)

• Informative
Reactions: 204EV
There are three different crews doing 3 different segments.
One is the Ontario crew which is doing installs from Deep River to Kenora
Another is the Prince Albert crew which is doing installs from Prawda to Swift Current
Last is the Albertan crew which is doing installs from Maple Creek to Bassano (or further)
Excellent, good to know - thanks! I had assumed the Prawda crew would keep moving east with Kenora as their next stop, but if they are done at the Manitoba border then Kenora may be the last one hooked up and the last one that we will hear news about as a result.

Ontario crew has quite a few stations left to do then and there's already patchy frost occurring in northern Ontario...

Excellent, good to know - thanks! I had assumed the Prawda crew would keep moving east with Kenora as their next stop, but if they are done at the Manitoba border then Kenora may be the last one hooked up and the last one that we will hear news about as a result.

Ontario crew has quite a few stations left to do then and there's already patchy frost occurring in northern Ontario...

Attachments

• PAC February 26, 2019 Agenda.pdf
    130.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
(vii) Consideration of applications for minor variance  D13-19-03,
Tesla Alex Tsopelas, Agent Tesla Motors Via Teleconference

Alex Tsopelas, from Tesla Motors, introduced himself as the Agent for the file and thanked the Committee for accommodating himself for participation in the meeting. The Agent explained that Tesla is proposing to install six super charging stations within existing parking stalls at the Canadian Tire Gas Bar, being the rear side of the Page 3 of 18 gas bar, there are existing natural gas and hydro meters.

In order to maintain the proper clearance by code, they have to move the curb out from the building by approximately 1 m, which will reduce the stall length to 5.1 m. It is for this reduction that they are seeking a minor variance to the Zoning By-law. The Planner presented the planning report file D13-19-03 and explained that six existing parking stalls are proposed to have their lengths reduced so as to accommodate six electric vehicle charging stations and associated equipment. Parking spaces and aisles are shared between the Canadian Tire store and the Gas Bar.

The location of the parking spaces subject to this development are surplus and not required for patrons who normally park at the front of the building or at the fuel pumps. The Planner noted that currently the Zoning By-law does not have a definition for electric vehicle charging; however, she noted that the next comprehensive Zoning By-law review will incorporate refueling for electric vehicles. The application was circulated to the public within 60 m and no comments had been received. There also had been early discussion with the Agent regarding whether vehicles would be towing. It had been explained to the Planning Department that the charging stations are back-in only and there would not be the opportunity to charge if towing a trailer. It was the Planner’s professional opinion that the application should be approved; conditional on removing a stack of steel fencing situated towards the rear of the gas bar. It would have to be removed prior to any construction, anyways. At this time, it is unsightly and unnecessary.

The Agent explained that the metal fencing is not theirs but that they will speak to the property owner to have it removed. The Agent was not sure what it is there for. The Chair asked if there was anyone in the public whom wished to speak in favour of or against the application. There were none. The Chair asked the Committee if they had questions pertaining to the application. For clarification, the Chair asked whether the charging stations are for all makes of vehicles, not just Tesla. The Agent clarified that the charging connectors are for Tesla vehicles only. Ray Pearson noted that on the site plan, there are eleven spots behind the gas bar. He asked if there are future plans to use the others since this proposal is only requesting relief for six stalls.

The Agent stated that they do not have any plans at this time and are leaving the remaining parking spaces unchanged. Bev Richards asked if there will be an agreement in place between Tesla and Canadian Tire to ensure trailers/boats are not towed when vehicles are charging. She explained that the parking lot gets very busy in the summer and there is also a vendor that typically sells produce at the location, which might be affected. The Agent explained Page 4 of 18 that he does not believe it is explicitly outlined in the lease that there is a specific location to store trailers/boats for those towing.

John Barr wished to clarify several points. The first, being that Tesla chose this location due to the location of hydro. He asked if there were other site options for the charging stations. The Agent stated that he believes other locations were being looked at; however, that there were several factors that were considered. One, being the proximity to existing hydro connection and a second being the busyness of the parking areas in order to utilize space.

They needed a location where they could install additional electrical equipment and somewhere that would avoid taking up parking stalls. There were no further questions
. The Chair asked the Committee for discussion prior to making a decision.
There was no discussion.

Moved by: Bev Richards Seconded by: Graham Chaze That the Kenora Planning Advisory Committee approves application for minor variance file no. D13-19-03, seeking relief from Section 3.23.4 - which requires that 90 degree parking spaces must be 6m in length.
Approval of the application minor variance file D13-19-03 will allow six (6) existing parking stalls with 90 degree space dimensions to be reduced to 5.1 m in stall length in order to accommodate the installation of six (6) electric vehicle charging stations and associated equipment; conditional on the removal of the stack of steel fencing on the east side of the gas bar. Carried

TL : DR

they have received permission to start and the location is
right behind the Candian tire gas bar in the open parking spots
75ec2eca-544d-408c-9fc4-492bc4612d1f.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and MarcoRP
Sometimes contacting the city or town planning dept. can yield information.
For instance on the City of Kenora website:

Planning Advisory Committee (PAC) – City of Kenora

http://listview.kenora.ca/Files/Meeting Documents/2019/Planning Advisory Committee/PAC February 26, 2019 Agenda.pdf#navpanes=0&view=FitH

Mention Tesla:
"vii. Consideration of Applications for Minor Variance
D13-19-03, Tesla
D13-19-04, WNHA"
Awesome, good find! When I was calling around I saw the Canadian Tire, but Canadian Tires here in southern Ontario seem to be installing their own competing power system so I mentally ruled them out as a result of that (e.g. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You )

Hopefully the Ontario crew gets there before freeze-up!

Awesome, good find! When I was calling around I saw the Canadian Tire, but Canadian Tires here in southern Ontario seem to be installing their own competing power system so I mentally ruled them out as a result of that (e.g. PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You )

Hopefully the Ontario crew gets there before freeze-up!
Looks like my hunch payed off. The OPP office is right next door.

That leaves Thunder Bay and Ignace to nail down a location. It’s amazing how fast the Supercharge.info map is filling in so quickly.

noticed this when skimming the Terrace Bay superchargerView attachment 450978

This looks like a regular 6 bay V2 supercharger. each stall is only 146KWdc and they are shared. could this be the standard for non heavy traffic routes or maybe all the 6 bay Canadian SuC are only going to be V2?
Plans change. We only have access to a single older set from the original proposal before the V3 rollout. They can be informative but shouldn't be treated as unalterable gospel. As all the other TCH locations we've currently seen being built are V3, I would be pretty surprised if Terrace Bay wasn't as well.