Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range trip report - 268 Wh/mi.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weekend trip to from Durham, NC to Athens, GA. Start temp 44F (rain) ; mid trip temp 70F; end temp 39F (more rain). Not much elevation change. 90% on Interstate 85. Frequent use of defrost, some heat.

717 miles, 192 kWh, 268 Wh/mi.

No waiting at superchargers in Charlotte, Greenville, or Athens.

The car eats miles like candy. Great, great road car. Amazingly good highway efficiency compared, ahem, to some other EVs. I love this car.

Weekend trip to from Durham, NC to Athens, GA. Start temp 44F (rain) ; mid trip temp 70F; end temp 39F (more rain). Not much elevation change. 90% on Interstate 85. Frequent use of defrost, some heat.

717 miles, 192 kWh, 268 Wh/mi.

No waiting at superchargers in Charlotte, Greenville, or Athens.

The car eats miles like candy. Great, great road car. Amazingly good highway efficiency compared, ahem, to some other EVs. I love this car.

You don't state what your average speed was which is probably the overwhelming weighting factor on efficiency on the highway.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Well,as I said it was 90% interstate, so you can guess it was probably ~ 90% 70 mph + 10% 30 mph. I think the beast does very well maintaining efficiency at speed. I ran some tests earlier this month at totally steady state, no heat, no traffic, cruise control run at 70 mph, about 50F, and I was getting about 225 kWh/mi. My 2754 mi lifetime is 256 kWh/mi. I'm quite happy with Tess.

Reactions: intenost
Here’s my long range rwd over course of 13 months. All types of driving

Attachments

• B1E90080-BD3D-44CD-966A-D5DBE94ABAC9.jpeg
    B1E90080-BD3D-44CD-966A-D5DBE94ABAC9.jpeg
    800.3 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: Jedi2155
Here’s my long range rwd over course of 13 months. All types of driving

Ahh, you are quite a bit more efficient than me. I need to control that right foot !

I wish Tesla would keep the lifetime metrics and show them on that same panel. Also wish they would keep and show the kWh/mi, temperature, and elevation graphs for each trip. And for lifetime. And make that history and all history available in my Tesla account. And let me download it. And....

I am trying to determine how I could make the MR battery version work for my commute, and I know that this is a very subjective question, but what would be "typical" single charge range (miles) for the MR battery size, if accounting for max and min routine charge level (80%-20% ???).

General estimate for absolute best case (garaged, plugged in, weather conditions, speed, ect...)

General estimate for absolute worst case (non garaged, cold soaked, weather conditions, speed, ect...)

I think most of us charge to 90% which is 237 miles right now, at standard rating of about about 240 Wh/mi. Dropping down to 10% gives you about about 208 miles of range in the bast case. I don't know your location and weather, but there are several reports on the board about the winter loss. I don't want to speculate for your situation.

Reactions: eokie
I think most of us charge to 90% which is 237 miles right now, at standard rating of about about 240 Wh/mi. Dropping down to 10% gives you about about 208 miles of range in the bast case. I don't know your location and weather, but there are several reports on the board about the winter loss. I don't want to speculate for your situation.

I was doing 80% but Elon has stated that 90% is fine and have since then changed the charge limit to 90%. I can't imagine many people who need more than the 200 +/- range for daily commuting.

If you want things in mi/hr for charging, my work charging stations are 30A/204V and usually shows charging at around 24 mi/hr.

At home, I use the first gen mobile charger that chargers at 40A. I have never seen how fast it charges but obviously a bit faster than the above ones (I charge after midnight)

I am trying to determine how I could make the MR battery version work for my commute, and I know that this is a very subjective question, but what would be "typical" single charge range (miles) for the MR battery size, if accounting for max and min routine charge level (80%-20% ???).

General estimate for absolute best case (garaged, plugged in, weather conditions, speed, ect...)

General estimate for absolute worst case (non garaged, cold soaked, weather conditions, speed, ect...)

The biggest questions are how long is your commute (round trip, plus any extra stops you may want to make) and are you going to install a charger at home and charge every night?

If you have a long commute like I do, the winter effects won't be as harsh as multiple small commutes. So say you have a 120 round trip commute like I do. You'll lose, depending on how cold it gets, anywhere from 10-25% because your car will have time to warm up the battery. That plus a charger at home would make it easily doable for you.

However, if you don't have a charger at home and want to make multiple smaller commutes, you'll be at the SC a lot because you'll lose closer to 40% range.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Ahh, you are quite a bit more efficient than me. I need to control that right foot !

I wish Tesla would keep the lifetime metrics and show them on that same panel. Also wish they would keep and show the kWh/mi, temperature, and elevation graphs for each trip. And for lifetime. And make that history and all history available in my Tesla account. And let me download it. And....

TeslaFi my friend :)
Referral code: Jedi2155

Look at all the fun details your missing!
upload_2019-2-21_2-19-13.png

My 7000 mile avg is 287 wh/mile. I have LR RWD 18" wheels.
How you guys manage to get <240 wh/mi.
Wondering if something is wrong with my car.
View attachment 379257

Thats even higher than mine! I'm at 277 Wh/mile lifetime ~7400 miles . It's also possible you're just using a lot of heat, you have a giant lead foot and don't use regen (remember try not to brake and rely on the regen more often), or your car is really busted.

That is really impressive! I'm at 10k miles and have an average of 268 Wh/mi. I was ~240 average before winter started. I use regen al much as possible and keep the cabin fairly cool (64-66°F), but even in perfect fall weather I was never able to achieve a 200 Wh/mi average.

Interesting to see so many trying to achieve these low wh/mi. I never try to achieve keep it low. I drive it normally, accelerate fast when I feel the need, and enjoy the car whenever I can. I will say though, I do take advantage of regen and rarely have to touch the brake pedal.

Are you guys trying to do this to save on electricity used to charge the car? Or just to see how efficiently you can drive it? When I was in my Leaf, I used to do everything to drive it as efficiently as possible, but that was because the range was so low, I had to do it.