Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the point of this rant? Tesla makes 100% of their own interiors and they have the option to make 100% black seats or 100% white seats on any given day. If they so choose, they can fabricate white seats for the next 4 months straight. They have been offering white interiors on their vehicles for at least 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure why you feel this is a problem for them. Are you a day 1 reservation holder who has been waiting on your MR car for the last 1,000 days? You can verify that you put your deposit down in 3/31/2016 for an MR that didn't exist and now you are venting about a production correlation you cannot prove exists ?

Also, why are you incorrectly claiming in your other rant that you lose $7,500 at year end? It goes to $3,750 not $0 at year end.

You are aware that you ordered a vehicle configuration that had NEVER been produced right? With a battery pack that had NEVER been fabricated.... with a drivetrain or parts that are NOT in any other existing model currently right.

If I were you, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig getting the first beta models of the MR anyway. Wouldn't you prefer the factory workers making $15 or $20/hour train on a few other cars before they do yours ?

Just to make your battery pack work, someone has to code an entirely new fork in the battery management software, vet it, test it and get it ready for production. Literally speaking, this is more detailed work than your local hospital setting your arm bone when it is fractured.

If you have a Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement that says you will get your MR with white seats, you will get your MR with white seats. It seems to me that the cars "available" are mostly AWD or AWD performance with white interior that have been produced in "spec" batches for inventory and placed around the country. Everything else appears to be custom ordered.

I suspect Tesla probably received 100,000 overseas reservations in the past week alone. They are doing everyone in the USA a 'favor' by not just selling high margin cars overseas.

I ordered a LR on 10/15/18, but switched to a MR on 10/19 when it was announced as 6-10 weeks delivery with more than 10 weeks to go in the year. Just a few days ago the CEO promised that cars ordered still in the future will be delivered by year end. They market the price of the car most prominently on the order page as including the $7,500 tax credit. The longer they wait to batch white in favor of black, the more likely unforeseen delays in delivery (very common according to this forum, especially at quarter end) will bump many of us from receiving in 2018. That's just a plain fact.

I'm not concerned about the MR battery pack, as the car will be under warranty for several years. With that reasoning, EVERYONE who has ordered a Model 3 to date is insane because this technology isn't proven yet.

I fully understood when I ordered the car when I did that it was nearing the end of the tax credit. I'm fully prepared for the worst, and yes, it is a difference between $7,500 and $0 for me, as a $3,750 tax credit that I won't be able to claim until January of 2020 does not work for my situation. I've got to send $7,500 off to the federal government if I don't take delivery by Dec 31, so for me it is a binary choice. I'd rather use that money towards this car.

The lack of communication has me (and many, many others on here) stressed. That was the point of the rant.

Not sure why you come into a waiting room thread and attack us for being anxious? Whatever life we don't have for being here, you have a little bit less...lol

We are getting the same cars! I didn't get EAP though. Did you have a reservation? Supposed to pick mine up a week from tomorrow, we'll see though apparently Dedham SC is having a bear of a time storing all the cars as they come in.

I've been told my car is sitting on the lot in Dedham SC, but they don't have any open appointments until at least Friday...so yeah, they seem pretty busy.

Order on 10/31
No reservation
Black/black/18 aero with EAP
received text and email for 12-11 delivery at my house.
Atlanta Georgia

Will be calling to have the delivery changed to the SC and change the date as I’m on vacation from the 8th to the 13th.

I was thinking about the Black and White interior delays. At this point, with the new cutoff of Nov. 30th, I feel like they may not start making these until next week. That way they can make ALL of the white interior cars promised before the end of the year at once. Does not make sense to make some now, and then switch back to black and then switch to white again. Sucks for all of us waiting on this option, but that is just my guess on how it may play out.

With the new expedited shipping, hopefully that still means middle of December deliveries for some.

Reactions: neroden and V__2
I was thinking about the Black and White interior delays. At this point, with the new cutoff of Nov. 30th, I feel like they may not start making these until next week. That way they can make ALL of the white interior cars promised before the end of the year at once. Does not make sense to make some now, and then switch back to black and then switch to white again. Sucks for all of us waiting on this option, but that is just my guess on how it may play out.

With the new expedited shipping, hopefully that still means middle of December deliveries for some.

Makes sense, and I hope you're right.

Attached is a geographic snapshot of the number of orders that have received delivery date so far by location (MR orders only). I pulled the data from the spreadsheet and built this graphic today on mapchart net. There are 368 MR orders tracked in there. If anyone is curious, the most orders are from California (131), Texas (27), Florida (19), Massachusetts (14), Washington (13), Ohio (12), Virginia (11), New York (11), Colorado (11), Arizona (10), Maryland (9), New Jersey (9), Georgia (8), Pennsylvania (7), North Carolina (6), Missouri (6), Illinois (6), Utah (5), Tennessee (4), Michigan (4), Minnesota (3), Indiana (3), Connecticut (3), South Carolina (2), Nevada (2), and Louisiana (2). All other states had (1) order. The ones in gray had no orders in the tracker.

It shows they are delivering the the East Coast, so there's no surprise. It gives an idea how far west they've worked so far. I know it's personally frustrating for folks (particularly on the west coast), but it's a logical and fair way to do it to maximize 2018 deliveries. Hoping everyone gets their car by year end!

Black/Black/aero/ and no-EAP (although I plan to add it if I get delivery before year end). Oh yeah, and I'm hoping for delivery to Cleveland, Ohio!

Time to go check my email, Tesla account, and phone 10 more times before bed ! Good luck everyone!

I pulled the trigger today. Went to my local Tesla store, met with my sales contact there (awesome staff) who searched for an unallocated inventory car that matched our spec. We quickly discussed pros/cons and switched to a LR AWD. Within one hour we had a text and email from Tesla (Las Vegas) with an in home delivery scheduled for 11/30. I know this represents a $8K increase but I feel so much better tonight (peace of mind). Now excited for AWD, extended range and quicker acceleration with higher top end (that I'll never use- LOL)

This new AWD M3 is the same spec as our MR M3 - white interior, MSM exterior, 19" wheels and EAP. We placed order on 10/19 but grew too impatient and were worried about tax credit. If you're worried or impatient like us- visit a sales center and have them do a search for you. There were a few LR RWD's available (all with black interior) and several LR AWD's with white interior. As most know both options are more $$ ($3K and $8K).

Attached is a geographic snapshot of the number of orders that have received delivery date so far by location (MR orders only). I pulled the data from the spreadsheet and built this graphic today on mapchart net. There are 368 MR orders tracked in there. If anyone is curious, the most orders are from California (131), Texas (27), Florida (19), Massachusetts (14), Washington (13), Ohio (12), Virginia (11), New York (11), Colorado (11), Arizona (10), Maryland (9), New Jersey (9), Georgia (8), Pennsylvania (7), North Carolina (6), Missouri (6), Illinois (6), Utah (5), Tennessee (4), Michigan (4), Minnesota (3), Indiana (3), Connecticut (3), South Carolina (2), Nevada (2), and Louisiana (2). All other states had (1) order. The ones in gray had no orders in the tracker.

It shows they are delivering the the East Coast, so there's no surprise. It gives an idea how far west they've worked so far. I know it's personally frustrating for folks (particularly on the west coast), but it's a logical and fair way to do it to maximize 2018 deliveries. Hoping everyone gets their car by year end!

Black/Black/aero/ and no-EAP (although I plan to add it if I get delivery before year end). Oh yeah, and I'm hoping for delivery to Cleveland, Ohio!

Time to go check my email, Tesla account, and phone 10 more times before bed ! Good luck everyone!

This is awesome pictorial. I'm one of the AZ 10 lol. 4 weeks this Thursday no word.
MR
Black
Aero
No EAP

Sooooo shady for them to not disclose up front that white interiors would not be available on the same timeline as black. If it would have said "white interior may add up to 3 weeks to delivery timeline", I would have passed on it. Hope their couple hundred dollars of margin on those is worth pissing half of us off.

Why even offer it if it wasn't ready to go into production right away? Wouldn't you think they'd produce those FIRST since it's a higher margin car?

I'm seeing all these non-reservation orders with order dates after mine in my region getting delivery dates and VINs, and it all comes down to the f'n color of the dashboard strip and seats?!?

Sorry to rant, but it's like they enjoy messing with us by being sooooo unnecessarily opaque with their plans this close to the end of the tax credit.

You were quoted 6 to 10 weeks at order.... Where does the shady part come in again????

You were quoted 6 to 10 weeks at order.... Where does the shady part come in again????
Shady was probably a bad word choice on my part. Shady implies they're up to something. I don't believe that.

It's more that they're increasing the likelihood of customer anxiety by introducing a new option and then just....not producing them. At all.

If I saw evidence of even a few others getting delivery dates, I'd chill the F out. We're just starting to see delivery dates into the second week of December and no sign of life.

You just perfectly described said info about the white interior delay. 100% of us that have ordered white interior on the MR3 have heard exactly zilch :( Ever since Elon tweeted about the availability of the MR option, 100% of all MR 3s produced and delivered (that we know of) have had black interiors. So many of us may have made a different decision if we knew in advance that white interiors wouldn't even begin production for a month or more from order... (e.g., order black interior, save a grand, already be driving and enjoying our new MR with full tax credit and zero worry that weather or other events delay our delivery by NYE). In the past week I've been rethinking my 3 purchase altogether and am likely switching back to a fully loaded used S for less than my net cost of the 3. Most people who buy expensive cars aren't appreciating the radio silence from Tesla. Those of us current and former Tesla owners are a bit used to waiting, but eventually Tesla's lack of good customer service is going to hurt the company severely (for example, when its near-term competitors have their 2019/2020 EV models at local dealerships for an immediate test drive and purchase). Tesla has had a huge moat to date as the only pure EV option, but that's changing.

I reiterate that it IS shady, because of the complete lack of communication in the month since. I don't believe they're trying to screw us out of the tax credit or anything (because there's no benefit to them in doing that), but I DO believe that they believe in their own brand strength so much that they believe that they don't need to update us, because we want their product so much we'll just eat it. For the most part that's true, but I don't think you can look at their customer service when it comes to this aspect of their business and blame anyone for not exactly being thrilled with how they handle it. Again, a simple disclosure would have allowed us to make informed decisions when configuring the most expensive car most of us have ever ordered.

As for us getting the car by year end, I fully believe that they'll do everything they can, but unforseen circumstances like wildfires, weather and holiday-based shipping delays have the very real potential to take that control out of their hands.

I really don't feel entitled to anything despite my frustrated ranting. It's just that to some of us, the only way this car makes sense is with the funds from the tax credit being freed up by reducing the check we write to uncle sam in January being reduced by $7,500. If they can't make it happen, I'll just cancel my order (after attempting to get matched with a similarly priced inventory car), continue to save up, and buy the SR a year from now with little to no credit.

Other companies may do the same thing (typically on products <100x less expensive), but it doesn't excuse them from doing it the same crappy way. Just saying...

Feels good to read others going through same turmoil. Getting a bit worked up over the lack of communication. Yes, a week sooner or 2 later don't really matter after all. Could be better that white interior is not first batch, could be worse as it is going to be produced during real push for numbers and lower QA standards coming with each quarter/year end. For a good number of us Model 3 is the most expensive car by a large margin that we have ever purchased. Interest rates may go up, tax credit may be missed (important point already made is that if you don't take delivery this year, the 3750 goes on the tax return you will prepare in 2020. And having time to think is never good in sales.