Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the newbie question but where is this so called "tracker" that we can input info into? I have a delivery date but no VIN

On the main Ordering, Production, Delivery topic list, the top topic is one for a tracking google sheet. People can go in and submit when they placed order, when they got a VIN, and what delivery date is. Just a way to crowdsource status of what is going on since Tesla is less than forthcoming with status updates.

Reactions: Ejhjcfan
Is the range closer to ~283mi estimated by various sources, or is it in line with 260mi advertised?

Starting with a 100% charge, I drove 170 miles yesterday, 35F, 70% fast highway (75 mph), 30% slow driving (less than 45 mph). Got home with about 60 miles of range. Like I said, way better than my 2018 LEAF, and way way way better than 2011 LEAF I used to have.

I would guess that a road trip in my area (80 mph highways, same temp as today) you would be looking at around 180 miles from 100% to 5%. Slower highways along the coasts (and/or warmer temps) should offer much longer range. Doing 65 mph in sunny California you should get up into 240 mile range.

Around town range should not matter at all for most of us. I had a crazy day yesterday, I only drive that much a couple of time per year, but even so, I did not even worry about the range. I do admit if I was new to EV driving I may have been mildly concerned yesterday, but like I said, crazy day.

Starting with a 100% charge, I drove 170 miles yesterday, 35F, 70% fast highway (75 mph), 30% slow driving (less than 45 mph). Got home with about 60 miles of range. Like I said, way better than my 2018 LEAF, and way way way better than 2011 LEAF I used to have.

I would guess that a road trip in my area (80 mph highways, same temp as today) you would be looking at around 180 miles from 100% to 5%. Slower highways along the coasts (and/or warmer temps) should offer much longer range. Doing 65 mph in sunny California you should get up into 240 mile range.

Around town range should not matter at all for most of us. I had a crazy day yesterday, I only drive that much a couple of time per year, but even so, I did not even worry about the range. I do admit if I was new to EV driving I may have been mildly concerned yesterday, but like I said, crazy day.
This doesn’t sound promising. Is the update going to push you to 260?

This doesn’t sound promising. Is the update going to push you to 260?

Yeah, 230 does seem a bit low...however, in 35F weather, I imagine there was >10% loss of battery per temperature (based on what I've seen online), plus the heater was probably being run quite a bit (correct me if I'm wrong, @Badshirt ... Maybe you enjoy driving in freezing cabin temperatures ;))

Yeah, 230 does seem a bit low...however, in 35F weather, I imagine there was >10% loss of battery per temperature (based on what I've seen online), plus the heater was probably being run quite a bit (correct me if I'm wrong, @Badshirt ... Maybe you enjoy driving in freezing cabin temperatures ;))
@Badshirt sorry, didn't mean to tag you here. Meant to tag @ivan801 to verify how much heat he was running, but mis-tagged and couldn't edit! Was not calling you out haha.

@ivan801, 230 is very disappointing, especially considering this is a lighter car by about 150lbs. There are people reporting getting 330 mi routinely on LR. However there are a lot of unanswered questions here. Ambient temperature, heater setting when driving, wind conditions, tire pressure, is Aerowheel cover on off, regen setting and what was the terrain? Also, normally, when you get fresh set of Lithium Ion batteries, you want to charge to near 100% and let the BMS balance the batteries… maybe the batteries were not fully balanced? Over a few weeks of driving and slow level 2 charging, I am thinking the BMS will better balance the batteries to maximize efficiency and charge. Nissan leaf has probably a few dozen cells, Model 3 has like 3000-4000 cells so balancing is a bigger task for the car.

I would like to your long term average watt hours per mile figures later.

• Disagree
Reactions: eloder
Got my MVPA today, my home delivery appointment is still supposedly "on" for tomorrow at noon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ordered on 10/18; assigned a delivery date on 11/3; got VIN on 11/5; got final MVPA today. Delivery tomorrow.

MR; EAP; black interior and exterior; 19" wheels. San Jose CA. I wasn't given the option to pick up the car; home delivery was the only choice I was given at order time.

LOL this sounds so strange...

Just FYI, I have had ZERO emails or phone calls from Tesla during this process.

I got ONE initial text from someone ("Ted") offering the car on a particular date, and THAT'S IT.

I periodically checked the website during the week and saw as various things happened (VIN appeared; request for $ appeared; MVPA appeared), but never received email or phone or text informing me of the progress. You'd think they would email me to ask me to pay them, but they never did.

Until today, at least, ... when I received an email from Tesla reminding me of tomorrow's delivery appointment.

At a couple of points I have asked questions via text of "Ted", which he answers promptly. But neither he nor anyone else from Tesla nor the Tesla website has proactively informed me of updates.

SO ... I guess in the new modern world we make $50,000 purchases via text message, more or less. :)

Just FYI, I have had ZERO emails or phone calls from Tesla during this process.

I got ONE initial text from someone ("Ted") offering the car on a particular date, and THAT'S IT.

I periodically checked the website during the week and saw as various things happened (VIN appeared; request for $ appeared; MVPA appeared), but never received email or phone or text informing me of the progress. You'd think they would email me to ask me to pay them, but they never did.

Until today, at least, ... when I received an email from Tesla reminding me of tomorrow's delivery appointment.

At a couple of points I have asked questions via text of "Ted", which he answers promptly. But neither he nor anyone else from Tesla nor the Tesla website has proactively informed me of updates.

SO ... I guess in the new modern world we make $50,000 purchases via text message, more or less. :)

I configured the order on my phone, while moving at 80mph (I was not driving), and used my face (i.e. Apple Pay) to place the deposit. LOL. It was way too easy to spend $50k.

Several of you asked me to post a 0-60 run so here it is:
I did several of these and the time seems to come out right around 5.5 seconds in my crude measuring. Initial jump is impressive, but acceleration drops off considerably after you pass 40 mph. I took several of these, let me know if you want me to post all of them. I am not great at this video stuff (as you will notice).

@ivan801, 230 is very disappointing, especially considering this is a lighter car by about 150lbs. There are people reporting getting 330 mi routinely on LR. However there are a lot of unanswered questions here. Ambient temperature, heater setting when driving, wind conditions, tire pressure, is Aerowheel cover on off, regen setting and what was the terrain? Also, normally, when you get fresh set of Lithium Ion batteries, you want to charge to near 100% and let the BMS balance the batteries… maybe the batteries were not fully balanced? Over a few weeks of driving and slow level 2 charging, I am thinking the BMS will better balance the batteries to maximize efficiency and charge. Nissan leaf has probably a few dozen cells, Model 3 has like 3000-4000 cells so balancing is a bigger task for the car.

I would like to your long term average watt hours per mile figures later.

OK, so just to clarify a couple of things. Heat: yes, I use heat, set at 70F. Battery balancing: I have charged to full several times now, I think that batteries are probably balanced. Wind conditions: it was a calm day. Ambient temp: ranged from 30F in early morning to 50F in the afternoon. Wheels: original Aerowheel with covers. Regen setting probably does not matter much for my type of driving, but I left it on standard. Terrain: start and finish at home, typical Utah highways with some hills. Nothing crazy.

As a former (recovering) LEAF driver, this range is actually very impressive. As a comparison, 2018 LEAF with advertised range of 150 miles can barely make it from my house to my mother-in-law and back on a cold Sunday when I can drive at around 80 mph both ways. Total distance: 82 miles. Battery left when I get home: about 5-8%. However, on a mild day, driving slower (around 65 mph) I can get my LEAF to do 125 miles (actually did this, had 3% left on arrival, was passed by EVERYONE on the freeway). And no, I could never get 150 miles out of it in real life, as that would require driving at around 55 mph or less with no heat or AC. In contrast, I think that I could do 260 miles in my Model 3 if I tried, just has to be a warmer day and I have to keep my speed below 65 mph.

Got my MVPA today, my home delivery appointment is still supposedly "on" for tomorrow at noon. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ordered on 10/18; assigned a delivery date on 11/3; got VIN on 11/5; got final MVPA today. Delivery tomorrow.

MR; EAP; black interior and exterior; 19" wheels. San Jose CA. I wasn't given the option to pick up the car; home delivery was the only choice I was given at order time.

I changed my Zip a few times, including my work which is under 10 miles from a delivery center. No dice...home delivery. As long as it doesn't push me into next year I'm cool with someone dropping off a car at my house :)

Maybe something I can change down the road?