Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe the plan is to just pump out cars through the first week of December and then start batching them at locations to coordinate delivery. So 12/1, they pull white and black interior orders for a specific state and get them on trucks and then assign VINS and schedule delivery dates when they are already en route. I agree though. Not sure I have confidence. We shall see.

BTW - with last years prediction of 10K cars per week, you would think they would have thought about logistics a little bit.
I recently test drove a 3 at Westmont (Chicago) and learned that past damage from long distance trucking of new Teslas (and higher cost) has led Tesla to use Union Pacific (and some BNSF) rail for long haul transport to the Midwest. (I don’t believe Tesla ever stated they bought actual trucking companies, rather trucking capacity...which likely means Tesla has only contracted for short-haul truck deliveries. Beware of writers in the news who can’t understand the important distinction.) Deliveries to the NE and SE must then interchange with another Class I RR (i.e., Norfolk Southern or CSX), and sometimes yet a third non-Class I RR. This causes major delays that most folks (erroneously) assume takes days, but in reality (e.g., major delays caused by CA fires, or current Midwest to East Coast blizzards that are 100% out of Tesla’s control) amounts to weeklong delays (contractually known as Force Majeure, so no financial liability by Tesla). Once the trains arrive, THEN a truck will make the final delivery (20-100 miles to a Tesla Service Center). THEN the 3 will be prepped and ready for delivery to its final customer. I spent 25 years in the logistics and fuel delivery business, so I have finally given up on my 3 (I really only wanted the cheaper SR for my daily commute, but cost justified MR to my wife because of the expiring full $7500 tax credit) after almost a 1,000-day wait (as a day 0 reservation holder, with my order placed Oct 21 for blue with WHITE INTERIOR - my ultimate downfall!). I miss driving a Tesla so I sought out my Plan B (a 2012 Sig Red P85 perfectly loved and maintained by its original owner), and I just purchased and paid for said Model S. I fly next week to Seattle to pick her up and enjoy a 2,000-mile scenic trek back to Iowa. I cancelled my 3 order, and formally requested my $6,000 refund ($1k res + $2,500 order charged TWICE to my VISA, in error...but nonetheless very real) from Tesla (put in writing, twice, a week ago), but have heard nothing in reply :(

The good news is that all future 3 owners are now +1 in line (since I just stepped out), and I will soon be enjoying a beautiful Sig Red P85 for about the same net cost. Bad news is that I may have to chase Elon all the way to Mars (“70% chance (he) goes there”) for my refund on my 3 ;)

Last edited:
I recently test drove a 3 at Westmont (Chicago) and learned that past damage from long distance trucking of new Teslas (and higher cost) has led Tesla to use Union Pacific (and some BNSF) rail for long haul transport to the Midwest. (I don’t believe Tesla ever stated they bought actual trucking companies, rather trucking capacity...which likely means Tesla has only contracted for short-haul truck deliveries. Beware of writers in the news who can’t understand the important distinction.) Deliveries to the NE and SE must then interchange with another Class I RR (i.e., Norfolk Southern or CSX), and sometimes yet a third non-Class I RR. This causes major delays that most folks (erroneously) assume takes days, but in reality (e.g., major delays caused by CA fires, or current Midwest to East Coast blizzards that are 100% out of Tesla’s control) amounts to weeklong delays (contractually known as Force Majeure, so no financial liability by Tesla). Once the trains arrive, THEN a truck will make the final delivery (20-100 miles to a Tesla Service Center). THEN the 3 will be prepped and ready for delivery to its final customer. I spent 25 years in the logistics and fuel delivery business, so I have finally given up on my 3 (I really only wanted the cheaper SR for my daily commute, but cost justified MR to my wife because of the expiring full $7500 tax credit) after almost a 1,000-day wait (as a day 0 reservation holder, with my order placed Oct 21 for blue with WHITE INTERIOR - my ultimate downfall!). I miss driving a Tesla so I sought out my Plan B (a 2012 Sig Red P85 perfectly loved and maintained by its original owner), and I just purchased and paid for said Model S. I fly next week to Seattle to pick her up and enjoy a 2,000-mile scenic trek back to Iowa. I cancelled my 3 order, and formally requested my $6,000 refund ($1k res + $2,500 order charged TWICE to my VISA, in error...but nonetheless very real) from Tesla (put in writing, twice, a week ago), but have heard nothing in reply :(

The good news is that all future 3 owners are now +1 in line (since I just stepped out), and I will soon be enjoying a beautiful Sig Red P85 for about the same net cost. Bad news is that I may have to chase Elon all the way to Mars (“70% chance (he) goes there”) for my refund on my 3 ;)

Congratulations on your new ride. But you chose a first year pre- redesign model S (probably no warranty and no AP?) over 2018 model 3??? Wow, that’s rough...

Reactions: rtloeffler
Congratulations on your new ride. But you chose a first year pre- redesign model S (probably no warranty and no AP?) over 2018 model 3??? Wow, that’s rough...
Guess I fell in love with Tesla’s original S, so pre-facelift is no issue for me. I’m receiving the original owner’s extended full warranty that has two years remaining. But no AP, which will be missed on my 2k-mile journey home. No AP was the one clear sacrifice that I labored over, especially after chauffeuring Jay Leno when he came to my town a year ago for a comedy show. I pulled up to his hotel (in my 2012 S) and perfectly parallel parked in one quick motion. Jay was super polite, but surprisingly asked, “Why doesn’t your Tesla park itself?” (since his evidently does, with AP1) I smiled and replied, “For the same reason your steam cars don’t” (early tech doesn’t come with every bell and whistle). :)

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone and eloder

I think Elon tweeted that they acquired some trucking companies. I’m in the same boat as you were - day 0, almost 3 years, ordered 5 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. I once thought my reservation would at least get me a matchbox Model 3 but now realize that might not even happen. Hopefully my reservation guaranteed delivery by end of year.

Picked our Model 3 up a few minutes ago. The car is flawless....except for the 1 1/4" crack in the glass roof...and possibly the drivers side window isn't seating all the way up.

The car really is great, despite the crack that really should have been caught before they handed it over. So, the roof is being replaced ASAP, though we may just hold off until the winter tires get here and do it all at once. Anyway, pics below!

46831336-10218140028558067-4200031184270393344-n.jpg

46798786-10218140028838074-8340791111186382848-n.jpg

46891365-10218140029438089-5450889754386104320-n.jpg

I think Elon tweeted that they acquired some trucking companies. I’m in the same boat as you were - day 0, almost 3 years, ordered 5 weeks ago and haven’t heard anything. I once thought my reservation would at least get me a matchbox Model 3 but now realize that might not even happen. Hopefully my reservation guaranteed delivery by end of year.

Yes, Fred Lambert of electrek.co asked Elon to elaborate on "trucking capacity", in which Elon replied," We bought some trucking Companies & secured contracts with major haulers to avoid trucking shortage mistakes of last quarter".

I also believe it was Tesla's plan all along to do this, they just need the capital to do so. And I've heard that "some" showrooms /delivery centers have a few remaining die cast model 3's. Just have to ask.

Excited to receive a text today for a 12/11 delivery in Cleveland. The delivery date shows up in my account too.

Black / Black / Aero / No EAP. 10/21 reservation affected by the 10/30 email issue. Not a previous owner, but a Sept 2017 reservation.

It seems they are moving westward and now hitting the midwest. Deliveries should accelerate with faster shipping times as they move to the west coast. I'm very excited that I got a date and plan to call and add EAP tomorrow. I updated the tracker. Good luck everyone! I'll be checking in and pulling for everyone.

Called Tesla today they had me as home delivery which was automatic because of where I live relative to delivery location. Changed to pick up at delivery center because they said it would be faster. 5 weeks and waiting for that magical text from 510 area code.
AZ NON OWNER no previous reservation
MR Black/Black/Aero/No EAP

My black on black, aero wheel LEMuR has arrived in Charlotte ahead of my 12/5 delivery date. I can pick it up whenever the paperwork is ready, thought seeing as I’m out of the country still, that may not be any earlier than originally planned. I don’t have a VIN yet on my portal and the Backdoor edit design has stopped working.

Called Tesla today they had me as home delivery which was automatic because of where I live relative to delivery location. Changed to pick up at delivery center because they said it would be faster. 5 weeks and waiting for that magical text from 510 area code.
AZ NON OWNER no previous reservation
MR Black/Black/Aero/No EAP

When you say you called tesla, did you call the tesla sales and service number or your DS?

I am also scheduled for home delivery and would love the experience of going to pick up my new car and driving it off the Lot! Plus a few days early wont hurt also :)

Someone over on the tesla.com forum is reporting they took delivery of MR with white interior this past monday (26th)!
So, that is the ONE user that used the tracking sheet that said they had a white interior and had a delivery date. Which, looks like is actually true. I was assuming for some time it was an input error.

So interesting that only 1 of the 200 people on the tracking sheet for white has 1) got a car delivered and 2) is the ONLY one that is even scheduled.

Maybe all the white ones are for people NOT on the forums? Seems possible but statistically unlikely. Maybe this user got the demo/test build white interior for the Mid Range. Kind of like the person that got the first MR overall got it within like 10 days of the announcement.