Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini Spare For Model 3, Hyundai Genesis 18" works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any experience with this item from an eBay seller? Looks like the make a similar kit for MS and MX.

2017-2018 Tesla Model 3 Complete Spare Tire Kit - Modernspare | eBay
"Conveniently Fits Inside Trunk Tire Well With All Necessary Mounting Hardware Included."

This is not an accurate description since this there is no Trunk Tire Well inside the Model 3.

I'd like to see a picture show if if could fit inside the front frunk or inside the hole under the trunk cover.

Otherwise could the spare be installed horizontally below the back window with a brace so it would not take all of the trunk space?

I had bad luck with seller sending the 17 inch spare even though I ordered 18 inch Genesis spare donut tire. Seller said he did not have it in stock, and gave credit for that 17 inch wheel. Since I have this 17 inch steel spare, I thought I would try and see.

17 inch steel wheel could not clear brake caliper in the back, but it worked fine for the front. So, I can still use it for the front. If my rear tire fails, I may have to put spare on the front, and mount front tire on the rear. This is in fact better than mounting the spare in the rear as this is a rear wheel drive car, and puts more stress on rear wheels(donut is weak :)). This would be still faster than waiting for roadside assistance which only flatbed the vehicle anyways, and then trying to find a tire patching service, or even worst looking for tire replacement.

I’ve run into a very similar situation. I ordered a “18x4” Genesis spare on eBay (the precise listing was “Rim Wheel Coupe 18x4 Spare Fits 09-16 Genesis 3979648”), but I received a 17” wheel instead. Like yours, it also fits in the front but not in the back. The only difference is I received an aluminum, spoked wheel rather than a steel one. On the bright side, the aluminum wheel has pockets on the mounting face to accommodate the rotor screw.

So I'm not sure what I should do. Returning it and ordering another one would be a pain. Plus, I got it for about half what most of the 18" Genesis spares are going for, so I'd probably have to pay another $60-$70 to get an 18" wheel.

Anyone know if eBay sellers ever do partial refunds when the item doesn't match the description?

Here's what it looks like:
upload_2018-9-15_15-31-14.png

And here's it mounted on the front (the car is still jacked up in this photo):
upload_2018-9-15_15-32-12.png

And here's the mounting surface showing the pockets for the rotor screw:
upload_2018-9-15_15-34-3.png

Reactions: Ciditad
I’ve run into a very similar situation. I ordered a “18x4” Genesis spare on eBay (the precise listing was “Rim Wheel Coupe 18x4 Spare Fits 09-16 Genesis 3979648”), but I received a 17” wheel instead. Like yours, it also fits in the front but not in the back. The only difference is I received an aluminum, spoked wheel rather than a steel one. On the bright side, the aluminum wheel has pockets on the mounting face to accommodate the rotor screw.

So I'm not sure what I should do. Returning it and ordering another one would be a pain. Plus, I got it for about half what most of the 18" Genesis spares are going for, so I'd probably have to pay another $60-$70 to get an 18" wheel.

Anyone know if eBay sellers ever do partial refunds when the item doesn't match the description?

Here's what it looks like:
View attachment 335225

And here's it mounted on the front (the car is still jacked up in this photo):
View attachment 335226

And here's the mounting surface showing the pockets for the rotor screw:
View attachment 335228
It is not unusual to give partial refunds. Actually they would love to do that over paying for shipping both ways. I would say tell them the problem and propose partial refund. Very likely you would get partial refund.

Well, you have a 50% chance it will be your front tire that blows. If it is a rear, simply move a front wheel to the rear and install this spare up front.

• Informative
Reactions: iwannam3
Anyone have any experience with this item from an eBay seller? Looks like the make a similar kit for MS and MX.

2017-2018 Tesla Model 3 Complete Spare Tire Kit - Modernspare | eBay

"Conveniently Fits Inside Trunk Tire Well With All Necessary Mounting Hardware Included."

This is not an accurate description since this there is no Trunk Tire Well inside the Model 3.

I'd like to see a picture show if if could fit inside the front frunk or inside the hole under the trunk cover.

(I don't have that exact spare, but pretty sure the outer dimensions on mine would be pretty much identical...)

Frunk: Doesn't fit. Not even close.

upload_2018-9-15_16-11-23.png

upload_2018-9-15_16-12-40.png

Trunk under-floor cargo area: It partially fits down in there, but it sticks up above the floor so you can't put the cover back in place.

upload_2018-9-15_16-15-46.png

upload_2018-9-15_16-16-46.png

If you stand it up straight, you can partially slide the cover back to provide a floor over the rest of the cargo area. The trunk closes ok with it like this if it's mostly standing up straight.

But if you ever came to a hard stop, the spare could fall forward and push the cover forward since nothing's holding the wheel or the cover in place. But if one was so inclined, they could pretty easily make a new cargo area cover out of plywood and include a cutout for the spare to stick up through (or just buy a second OEM cover from Tesla and cut a hole in it) so that it would fall in the normal grooves that hold the OEM cover in place, and that might suffice in holding the spare in place during a hard stop. (Probably not in a wreck, tho.)

upload_2018-9-15_16-34-28.png

upload_2018-9-15_16-37-0.png

Lastly, here's how it looks in the back of the trunk, pushed up against the seat backs:

upload_2018-9-15_16-18-27.png

Last edited:
Lastly, here's how it looks in the back of the trunk, pushed up against the seat backs:
Thank you so much for all of those pictures.
I wonder it there would be enough space to move the spare under the back window using some braces of making a shelf,
and still be able to close the trunk door? (Sorry for the pic, I just used Windows Paint, not any good Photoshop tool)
[Note: If you get chance, may be could you use some cardboard to move the spare tire up under the windows]

M3 Spare - 5  Against back seat  - (Up 2) .jpg

It does look like it might fit in the frunk if you remove the plastic tray and deflate the tire. Mounting it to the top of the trunk might be the best option.

I received my wheel/tire deflated, and the tire is still quite stiff even with no air pressure. You can squeeze a few inches out of its diameter, but not as much as I would have expected, and it takes more force than expected.

That's said, idk what taking out the plastic tray entails, or how much extra room it would provide. But with the tray in, the tray is only 16" from front to back at the bottom (it's ~18" at the top, but it tapers down), so even a bare 17-inch rim without a tire wouldn't fit in the frunk with the tray in place.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
This reminds me why they do not include a spare in the first place. I wouldn't want it taking up space in my trunk.

I did get a flat the other day in my model S. It was a pretty good size gash. I used the goop that came with the inflation kit and pumped it up. We had to stop and pump it up a couple times to get back home. In the end I realized that it wasn't much more (probably less!) work than switching to a spare. With everyone having cell phones, and the infrequency of flats I do kind of see why the industry is going this way.

If you're way up in the mountains on back roads I can see being paranoid about a flat though.

Attachments

• IMG_5726.jpg
    IMG_5726.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 371
To me, the idea of a compact spare is to carry it all the time. I think I would prefer to have a full size wheel and tire that is kept at home most of the time, but can be carried on long trips when you know you will be too far away from services to be practical. I much prefer to drop off a dismounted wheel for tire repair or replacement than to leave the car there. So, if my wife got a flat around town, I would just go get the spare from home, change it, and take the loose wheel to the tire shop. All that can be done within the typical response time of a tow truck.

This is the first car I have owned without a spare tire. But, I have not changed a tire in 15+ years now. I owned my last SUV 11 years without a single tire change and the car before that I changed one time, probably 4 years before the SUV.

I replace the tires when the tread wear goes gets to 6.

But I have had a few repairs along the way where I was able to use a portable compressor to gas up the tire and get to a tire store for repair.

Long story short I really do not see the need for a spare any more. I can always call AAA if needed.

To me, the idea of a compact spare is to carry it all the time.
I think I would prefer to have a full size wheel and tire that is kept at home most of the time,
but can be carried on long trips when you know you will be too far away from services to be practical.
I much prefer to drop off a dismounted wheel for tire repair or replacement than to leave the car there.
So, if my wife got a flat around town, I would just go get the spare from home, change it,
and take the loose wheel to the tire shop. All that can be done within the typical response time of a tow truck.
This is true, tow trucks have priority to serve major accidents and make you wait for ever for a jump start or a flat tire.

By having an extra normal size tire then allow you then to make a rotation using 5 wheels.

Then you keep the best tire as spare when getting a new set of 4 news tires.

I also feel that to have a brand new compact spare and never used it was a big waist of money.