Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing dead pedal (foot rest)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new MS75 doesn't have a dead pedal. I took it into the SC to get an embarrassing number of paint flaws addressed and I asked if it should have one and he said yes, and wrote it on the work order. Made me wonder how many other parts are missing...

Then I got in my loaner, another MS75, slightly older than mine but very similar. It, too, doesn't have the dead pedal.

Does everyone else have one?
IMG_3350.jpg

tape seems like a weak way to attach a pedal...the screw to the frame seems more solid. Do 2/2017-3/2017 cars have holes there for the mounting of the pedal??
Also we have the rubber tesla mats that go pretty far up the dead pedal area..would a dead pedal make the rubber mats fit poorly? seems like its possible as the mat molds to the floor really close.

The elimination of the dead pedal happened months ago. Lots of discussion about this back then. Our 75D arrived in March without one. We wanted waterproof mats for our car and bought the Kagu 3D MaxSpider mats. Takes care of protecting that area of the car carpeting. Posted photos of the installation in our car back then. We really like these mats BTW.

Disappointed with Tesla's all weather mats

Last edited:
This makes me sad. Dead pedal is important and it looks terrible without.
Sorry you don’t like it. Matches the Tesla pedals just fine and does it’s job to keep the foot there. I’d request a refund then?

Actually it does NOT match the tesla pedals at all. It is shiny metal and the black stuff on top are NOT rubber strips. They are just cheap black skateboard deck tape strips. The thing is total junk. I did not return for a refund since it would be more trouble than it’s worth to remove as it’s stuck to the carpet with double sided tape. This is just a PSA for other people. I would not buy this product again it is junk. I would try the cozero product if I could find any good reviews.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlatSix911
Correct, different materials and sheen. I suppose I expected cheap and got cheap and got exactly that. TBH, I don't look at that area everyday and see it more as a utility to have a dead pedal than full aesthetic.

That being said, I did mull over the one from CoZero and my buddy that just got his S might order it. If so I'll let you know how it looks.

Then I got in my loaner, another MS75, slightly older than mine but very similar. It, too, doesn't have the dead pedal.
After 3 1/2 years driving an S I traded it in on an X four months ago and was surprised to find the X had no dead pedal, just a raised carpeted area. After awhile I realized what an anachronism a dead pedal is. With TACC and EAP, the majority of my time behind the wheel I don’t use my right foot, it stays flat on the floor. My left foot can do the same.

I actually tested this before he made them. I pulled the carpet up to see what was underneath and if screws could be used. It looked suspect at best because you could not tell what was hidden below the footwell and I did not feel like drilling into something blind. I tested various carpet tapes and felt the one he is supplying worked well. It's been in my car for over a year and I have had no issues.

When I first tried it out, I pulled it up to see how much damage was done to the carpet and there was very little if any damage. YMMV.

I think the AL dead pedal does go well with the Tesla performance pedals. Here is my before and after shots (before with prototype that was going to use screws and regular Tesla pedals). The third picture is what is below the carpet.

Attachments

• IMG_4680 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_4680 (Medium).JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 274
  • 20160817_151402 (Medium).jpg
    20160817_151402 (Medium).jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 271
  • 20160817_151719 (Medium).jpg
    20160817_151719 (Medium).jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Informative
Reactions: Ski_ and FlatSix911
Correct, different materials and sheen. I suppose I expected cheap and got cheap and got exactly that. TBH, I don't look at that area everyday and see it more as a utility to have a dead pedal than full aesthetic.

That being said, I did mull over the one from CoZero and my buddy that just got his S might order it. If so I'll let you know how it looks.
That would great. Please do LMK if the cozero unit is better quality.