Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The analogy I would use is Steve jobs could have used a scroll wheel like blackberry or a stylus like treo but he went for using our fingers which wasn’t tried and tested and introduced lots of errors. Now where are those styluses and scroll wheels!
I'm not sure that I agree. Jobs had realised that, if he could make it work, a system for controlling a smart phone using fingers on the screen would provide a far more versatile interface. With auto wipe and auto high beam, the user derives no advantage from the underlying technology unless it provides a better result. Given that these systems, for example as implemented on my BMW 540i, work flawlessly using existing technology, there can be no advantage in developing an alternative way of trying to achieve the exact same thing.

Reactions: browellm
Version 4.4.2 of the iOS app was just released. On my iPhone I now have miles showing again.
Thanks Elon, you need to run an awareness course for the teen developers ! I understand it is hard to crack the UK style of following both metric and imperial systems randomly but the truth is we have no idea what 373kms means other than making us feel good as the numbers look big!

Reactions: Llama.
It is provided by Tesla but generally inbuilt or linked to iOS updates not from the app store downloads when Tesla updates its app.
Sorry, that's incorrect. The OS provides an API framework, but the developers of the apps write the widgets and they are not embedded in the OS or linked to OS updates except where they need specific functions provided by the update. If you think about it the OS would have to include the widget of every single app that wanted one even if you didn't have the app installed - which would very quickly become impossible to manage.

It used to be a similar situation for watchOS apps until Apple decoupled them a few years ago, the watchOS app was delivered as part of the iOS app so you couldn't have one without the other.

Reactions: CMc1 and Cardo
Moderation comment - thread renamed to include general 4.4 discussion from "Mobile app 4.4.0 gone metric?"

Since updating to 4.4.0 my mobile app (iOS) seems to have decided to show stuff in kilometres rather than miles (so range and last charging session for example). Anyone else seeing the same?
Exactly the same with mine. The car still shows miles but the phone will only show metric