Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger: Do I need it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Wall charger installed and, of course, there is the network. I purchased the home charger before deciding to go with the wall charger, I was thinking I'd use a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle, instead of a wall charger at the time.

So, is there any use that merits me keeping the mobile charger vs. returning it for a refund?

It all depends on your driving habits and risk tolerance. I’ve had a model 3 for just over 3 years and use my mobile charger with a 14-30 outlet in my garage. That said, I have never disconnected the mobile charger from my wall and taken it with me. Supercharger and destination chargers always seem sufficient on trips. I can imagine scenarios where it might come in handy, like staying with family for an extended period or camping, but have yet to need it.

The only time I have used the mobile connector is when parking at the airport where 120v outlets are available. However, I have come to learn that if I leave Sentry off the car can easily sit at the airport for weeks, otherwise I need to plug in. Some airport parking offers J1772 connectors, in which case the mobile connector is not needed.

You need to consider such factors but, in the end, having it the car will likely be nothing more than a security blanket.

I have the Wall charger installed and, of course, there is the network. I purchased the home charger before deciding to go with the wall charger, I was thinking I'd use a NEMA 14-50 Receptacle, instead of a wall charger at the time.

So, is there any use that merits me keeping the mobile charger vs. returning it for a refund?
To me anyway, that would be like saying, "would I consider going hiking without water". It hardly takes up much space, but could come in really handy. It is not about "if" I need it, but "when" I will need it, and I've used mine a couple times since getting my car. Just my 2¢.

My Teslas both came with mobile connectors, but the only time I ever used them was at home before my wall connector was installed. I've been on many road trips and have never needed anything other than the J1772 adapter (which is still standard) if I couldn't use a supercharger.

When I get my next Tesla, I won't order the mobile connector.

Do you anticipate going on trips where you may stay at campgrounds, vacation homes / cabins, etc. where the portable EVSE would be useful?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Like others, I leave my cable attached to the wall. I use a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage that I installed myself for pennies before I got the car 4 years ago. Have never had a need for a wall charger as I charge overnight. I’d never notice the difference in charging speed because I’m asleep either way.

Reactions: GregBallantyne
I was in the same situation. I kept the mobile charger and was really glad I did. I normally charge with the wall charger. But on trips, several times I have needed and used the mobile charger, because the nearest SC was over 100 miles away from where I was staying overnight. I did get adapters for 14-50, 5-15, J1772 for the mobile charger and also carry a 10-30 and 10-20 adapters. I haven't actually needed the 10-20 adapter because the 5-15 was adequate and I just used it. The rest have come in really handy. I don't carry a spare tire, the added weight seemed more important than the possibility of a flat tire. Some day I will likely regret that decision?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I echo dhrivnak’s statement. I have a mobile charger hooked up the a 14-50 for daily charging and keep a second mobile charger in the car. I’ve used it at my son’s house which is a bit remote so getting charged back to 80 percent over the weekend with the 110v plug is a big help. I’ve also used it at a few times at VRBOs, with the the 110 plug in as well as with a dryer plug adapter. I prefer to have options, which is why I also have a CCS adapter. It’s worth the extra piece of mind for me and helps ease my wife’s range anxiety too.

Only you can answer that for your given situation.

Fortunately, my car came with one. However, knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t buy one with a new purchase. Already have a HPWC, free charging at work, a couple Supercharger stations near by, and several 3rd party chargers near by. I’ve used my mobile corrector twice in 3+ years; used it to charge at a family’s house. Didn’t really need it for the 2nd trip cause a Supercharger station opened by then.

If your situation is similar to mine, return it.

We do a lot of long distance travel and always carry the mobile connector with us in case of need. I have used it when staying at other people’s homes. Also handy for an RV park hookup. RV parks are more plentiful than superchargers in many parts of the country. And then there is the 110 outlet compatibility which can help overnight.

It depends on your traveling style.

It can be nice as a backup option if you ever travel to areas with sparse charging options so you can plug into RV parks or camp grounds or even any random 120V outlet for power.

If you don’t travel far off the beaten path then it’s not really needed. The supercharger network is pretty well spaced in most areas that you shouldn’t be caught without being able to charge as long as you travel along major interstates.

Obviously at home you have the wall connector so it’s not needed there.