Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To that I say; I find it hard to understand those spending over $60k+ for a EV and then $400 on a Wall Connector and using cheaper aluminum wire and risking a possible fire?
Why would aluminum risk a fire any more than copper? If it's sized properly and connected properly there's no difference in safety. You should stop - Your posts are just exposing your ignorance.

Why would aluminum risk a fire any more than copper? If it's sized properly and connected properly there's no difference in safety. You should stop - Your posts are just exposing your ignorance.
Aluminum expands and contracts much more than copper does and the connections are more likely to come loose. I had aluminum wires that came loose where they attached to a breaker and the breaker started getting so hot, it tripped. I'm not sure there was necessarily something wrong with the way it was installed -- it had probably been installed way before I was even around and when the house was built, almost 50 years before it started having this issue. Given enough time, any wire can have issues but aluminum is more likely to have issues than copper.

Aluminum expands and contracts much more than copper does and the connections are more likely to come loose. I had aluminum wires that came loose where they attached to a breaker and the breaker started getting so hot, it tripped. I'm not sure there was necessarily something wrong with the way it was installed -- it had probably been installed way before I was even around and when the house was built, almost 50 years before it started having this issue. Given enough time, any wire can have issues but aluminum is more likely to have issues than copper.
What you say is correct, which is why I stated ‘properly installed’ - you need the proper connectors and it needs to be torqued properly. You realize that the main service cables to the majority of homes are aluminum, right? If they were unsafe we’d have houses burning down left and right.

Just a simple search would show you why. Aluminum expands and contracts dependent on temperature, but also is more susceptible to oxidation.
Now if you actually read the context of my post though you’d see I wasn’t saying aluminum is unsafe don’t use it. It’s safety risk is more than copper, but not enough in reality to actually make a difference. Similar to using a 14-50 outlet compared to a hard wired wall charger.

Just a simple search would show you why. Aluminum expands and contracts dependent on temperature, but also is more susceptible to oxidation.
Now if you actually read the context of my post though you’d see I wasn’t saying aluminum is unsafe don’t use it. It’s safety risk is more than copper, but not enough in reality to actually make a difference. Similar to using a 14-50 outlet compared to a hard wired wall charger.
The main issue with aluminum is the corrosion is non-conductive so if you don't coat it to prevent the corrosion the resistance goes up over time. Where copper corrosion is conductive. And the connectors have to be the right material but that's a given if you're using aluminum.

The main issue with aluminum is the corrosion is non-conductive so if you don't coat it to prevent the corrosion the resistance goes up over time. Where copper corrosion is conductive. And the connectors have to be the right material but that's a given if you're using aluminum.
And that is exactly why I used a Tesla recommended professional electrician that has installed many EV chargers and was thoroughly familiar and up to date with local codes. The job passed inspection with no issues.

The Mobile Connector will be supplied with cars ordered before April 28
Price drop for Mobile Connector to $200 and more connectors included (5-15 and 14-50)
Note - new bundle is not available until August
New Mobile Connector bundle and Wall Charger can be ordered with the car
New price $400 for Wall Charger too ($95 price reduction)

View attachment 798678
Additional details from Electrek.

"The price of the mobile connector is now $200 and the Tesla Wall Connector is $400. Tesla already had some of the best prices in the industry when it came to home charging stations, but these prices are particularly impressive, especially the Wall Connector since anything 48-amp and with Wifi connectivity generally start at at least $600.

Along with the price update, Tesla also added the charging solutions to its vehicle online configurator: This is important, since buyers will now need to make sure they have a home charging solution when buying as they can’t rely on one being included with the vehicle."

Screen-Shot-2022-04-29-at-7.51.00-AM.jpg

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
I looked at your posts - you repeatedly came back to your point that 'cheaping out with aluminum was a fire risk' which is why I responded. Aluminum wire needs to be installed correctly, but as long as it is it is no more dangerous than copper wire. The issues you highlight can be an issue with improperly installed copper wire, too.

If you do not make heavy use of it a cheap receptacle will likely be fine but the cheaper receptacles do not perform well with repeated plugging and unplugging. The difference here is they are intrinsically more dangerous because of the design and construction. It has nothing to do with the installation.

Gotta love how you get charged the $200 right away for the mobile connector. It’s not rolled in to the price of the car.
Just another way for Tesla to increase profits immediately on a car they won’t deliver for 6+ months.
well, what's the difference between that and buying the car then going to the Tesla store and ordering a charger separately? And what about the charge for non-white paint? It's not mandatory so you're free to leave it off of the order and wait or get a different charger.

Personally, I think it's a cheap money grab for Tesla to stop providing the mobile connector, but adding it to the order like they did is transparent, easy and straightforward. I'm not sure how you can have a problem with that.

Reactions: FlatSix911
If it was a "money grab" it would be way easier for Tesla just to add few hundred $$$ to the price. It would be the smallest price increase they made in the past year or two. They also didn't have to reduce the price of the Wall Charger. "Money grab" theory doesn't add up.
Yes, but they also could have dropped the price by $200 or given a $200 credit to the Tesla store towards the purchase of a wall connector. Or giving the option of 'upgrading' to a wall connector for $200. instead they simply took the charger out without giving any compensation in price. Money Grab.

I looked at your posts - you repeatedly came back to your point that 'cheaping out with aluminum was a fire risk' which is why I responded. Aluminum wire needs to be installed correctly, but as long as it is it is no more dangerous than copper wire. The issues you highlight can be an issue with improperly installed copper wire, too.

If you do not make heavy use of it a cheap receptacle will likely be fine but the cheaper receptacles do not perform well with repeated plugging and unplugging. The difference here is they are intrinsically more dangerous because of the design and construction. It has nothing to do with the installation.

well, what's the difference between that and buying the car then going to the Tesla store and ordering a charger separately? And what about the charge for non-white paint? It's not mandatory so you're free to leave it off of the order and wait or get a different charger.

Personally, I think it's a cheap money grab for Tesla to stop providing the mobile connector, but adding it to the order like they did is transparent, easy and straightforward. I'm not sure how you can have a problem with that.

If it was a "money grab" it would be way easier for Tesla just to add few hundred $$$ to the price. It would be the smallest price increase they made in the past year or two. They also didn't have to reduce the price of the Wall Charger. "Money grab" theory doesn't add up.
I also referenced it was a money grab because they are taking the money upfront, not when they deliver the charger/car. They are basically getting millions in 0% interest loans from customers.
So by not only nickel and diming customers by removing the connector, they want the money upfront, not when they actually deliver the chargers.

Please note that the J-1772 to Tesla adaptor is no longer included in the newly reduced-price mobile connector kit. Those are an extra $50 (was $95) and would be a great thing to have if you are nearly out of juice but are near a non-tesla L2 charger. I wouldn't be without that piece.

Old mobile connector price without the 14-50 adaptor cord... $275 (which did includ the J-1772 adaptor)
Add the 14-50 adaptor cord +$45 (many people ordered that as well)
------
$320 Old Price if bought separately but also came with the cars

New price including the 14-50 plug adaptor $200
J-1772 to Tesla adaptor $50
-----
$250 New Price

$70 less for those things most of us had in our cars that statistics showed that most of us never used. ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H

Obviously the context of my posts went over your head.
My aluminum/copper posts were comparing the difference in risk of fire hard wiring vs using a NEMA plug.
One is theoretically safer than the other, but not so much that it makes a difference if used correctly.
You are disagreeing with me, when what I was saying was exactly what you are saying.