Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 on April 22, 2022, after the 17th cutoff?, but before the option to add the charger for $200 when ordering. I have reached out to Tesla as I have no idea if or how I can be sure to get a Charger. Anyone else in this predicament?

My situation is worse! I ordered on May 28th before the Canadian website had an option to add a charger... Called Tesla and was told my car won't come with a MC and my only option is to order one when they are available lol. Website says Aug-Oct my EDD is July-Aug... My commute is only about 30KM daily and the closest supercharger is about 30 minute away 🤬. I'm not happy at all and thinking about just keeping my Jeep Srt.

• Funny
Reactions: xyeahtony
My situation is worse! I ordered on May 28th before the Canadian website had an option to add a charger... Called Tesla and was told my car won't come with a MC and my only option is to order one when they are available lol. Website says Aug-Oct my EDD is July-Aug... My commute is only about 30KM daily and the closest supercharger is about 30 minute away 🤬. I'm not happy at all and thinking about just keeping my Jeep Srt.
You can order a non-Tesla EVSE such as Grizzle-E. Canada – GRIZZL-E

The Grizzl-e EVSE costs more than the Tesla Mobile Connector; enables charging at 40 amps (versus 32 amps for the Tesla Mobile Connector.) The charging cord is 24 foot in length, could make it easier to reach the charging port on the Tesla vehicle.

To charge the Tesla Model Y using the Grizzl-e EVSE you would use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that comes with every Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
I am sure you meant April 28. You can always buy wall charger* which is available right now.

Last edited:
Wall charger is a good option or see if the SA can preorder the mobile charger for you so that the order is in process. I went with another brand for my wall charger I just wanted something that didn't lock me in to only Tesla. I ordered the Chargepoint Flex on Amazon and it arrived next day.
No issues for me using a non-tesla charging solution.

Well from what I gathered with my January Model Y order date (expected September delivery !!?) I should get the UMC included.

IMO, it is an essential component and if anyone is on the fence about this, I strongly recommend getting one. I use mine regularly (9 year Model S owner) for 14-50 home charging and it gets regular use on road trips. Way back when, before an adapter was available, I made my own dryer outlet adapter which I still occasionally use. The 120 adapter gets used on our beach trips and is a great option for use in long term parking, like airports.

It is good to see the price come down. These used to be $1500 when the Model S first came out.

My situation is worse! I ordered on May 28th before the Canadian website had an option to add a charger... Called Tesla and was told my car won't come with a MC and my only option is to order one when they are available lol. Website says Aug-Oct my EDD is July-Aug... My commute is only about 30KM daily and the closest supercharger is about 30 minute away 🤬. I'm not happy at all and thinking about just keeping my Jeep Srt

Well I'll be...
I did a screengrab, since I ordered on the 19th of April, and my SA said after the 17th of April I wouldn't get one. Dang, I hope this sticks, for all of us before that date.

I suggest all of us in the April 17 to April 28 ordering window also do a screengrab at once, so we will have some ability to argue this if Tesla walks this back.

Last edited:
Reactions: OliverM3
Thank you. Out of curiosity, how did you find it? This is the only one that I found when I searched (both via Tesla's support page and from a web search) https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf.

It would be very helpful if Tesla actually included product model numbers and/or links to the manuals on the product page. (or actually clearly said that the $400 version is 14-50 only and capable of 40A)
I ordered a Gen 3 WC and it was $495. Three wks later its price dropped to $400 before I had mine installed. So it's hard for me to believe that the $400 version could only deliver 40A output (mine is confirmed at 48A output)... It's hard for me to believe until I see proof

I ordered a Gen 3 WC and it was $495. Three wks later its price dropped to $400 before I had mine installed. So it's hard for me to believe that the $400 version could only deliver 40A output (mine is confirmed at 48A output)... It's hard for me to believe until I see proof
There's no difference except price.
My $400 config page:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-214723_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-214723_Samsung Internet.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: WhiteWi
This is old info. The “Corded Mobile Connector“ used to be $400 when the UMC was $250. The CMC has a hard wired 14-50 plug on it and allows 40A charging while the UMC is limited to 32A, even with 14-50 adapter. Both of these mobile connectors are now $200. The WC is now $400, down from $495. It allows charging up to 48A. They did Not limit the WC to 40A when they dropped the price. People just don’t understand the products available.

1652076905070.png

1652076937593.png

This is old info. The “Corded Mobile Connector“ used to be $400 when the UMC was $250. The CMC has a hard wired 14-50 plug on it and allows 40A charging while the UMC is limited to 32A, even with 14-50 adapter. Both of these mobile connectors are now $200. The WC is now $400, down from $495. It allows charging up to 48A. They did Not limit the WC to 40A when they dropped the price. People just don’t understand the products available.

View attachment 802030
View attachment 802031
A few weeks ago the 50A mobile connector was still more expensive so they've just dropped the price. The information on the store site is a bit ambiguous. It would be nice if they explicitly stated on the page that the Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed 50A plug and allows up to 40A. I see they now at least provide a link to the manuals on the store page so it's easier to find the specific manual to find the specs. When I looked a few weeks ago they didn't, making it that much more difficult to find the information.

I don't agree with Tesla removing the mobile connector from new cars but I give them credit for lowering the price of all of their charging connectors. The wall connector is significantly cheaper than most other 3rd party generic chargers on the market and more capable, too, actually making it a bargain.

Edit: has anyone seen or heard if they are going to prioritize orders associated with a car order? If they quit supplying it with new cars and it's unavailable on the store they risk putting new owners in a real bind.

This is rather a STINGY move from Tesla. I alreadt bought 2 MS and they were included, now I’m waiting for a 2022 MYP, without a mobile charger…???
I always use it at home and put it in my frunk before a roadtrip, without it is nuts… Elon is a money maker who do not have any respect for new and faithful customers like me. Very unpopular move for such expensive cars… And I’m on the waiting list since 2019 for the cybertruck.
This is very bad Elon musk…

What is the point of dropping price but product is not available, Im currently in need for a mobile charger :(
Anyone feel like there are scalper for those charger and nema adapter. They sell on ebay for much higher price :(
Check with your local store. My MX came with a UMC as it was a 2021 order but of course no 14-50. 14-50 adapter was sold out on tesla.com but my store had one for purchase when I picked up my car.

This is rather a STINGY move from Tesla. I alreadt bought 2 MS and they were included, now I’m waiting for a 2022 MYP, without a mobile charger…???
I always use it at home and put it in my frunk before a roadtrip, without it is nuts… Elon is a money maker who do not have any respect for new and faithful customers like me. Very unpopular move for such expensive cars… And I’m on the waiting list since 2019 for the cybertruck.
This is very bad Elon musk…
I'm pretty certain it is not that. They were running into parts shortages, and if they continued giving one away with every car, they were coming up on a point soon where they wouldn't have any left to deliver with new cars anyway. So to try to head that off and delay that out of stock point, they shifted to not giving one with every car, but only to people who still feel they need them.

Reactions: FlatSix911