Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it allows the car end to be inserted properly unless the other end is plugged in and turned on (or at least that is what seemed to happen when I tried out the UMC.
That's not my experience. When I showed the car at the All American Day I still had my second Wall Connector in the boot.
I plugged it in to stop the car going into drive allowing me to let people sit in the drivers seat with safety, you just use the fob to unlock the charge port first.

Sigh,
So a few weeks ago I gave up on getting a Tesla mobile connector for the foreseeable future and decided to order a Clipper Creek unit specially modified with Mennekes type 2 and an Aus\NZ 15 amp plug. Clipper Creek shipped it out and all seemed well until it arrived in Customs. Unfortunately the costs of the modifications and the fall in the $A meant that the cost of the unit had risen to just over A$1000, $1040 to be exact and I got a letter from Customs requiring me to make a declaration. Filled out my N10 form and thought I would be up for another $104. Nope there is import duty processing fee and GST is now payable on the cable including shipping making it $215. Hmm ok, paid it and at 12:54 today got my text from USPS - YAY. :cool:
Just now got a call from Mitchel requesting I come pick up my FREE Tesla mobile connector. :redface:

Sigh,
So a few weeks ago I gave up on getting a Tesla mobile connector for the foreseeable future and decided to order a Clipper Creek unit specially modified with Mennekes type 2 and an Aus\NZ 15 amp plug. Clipper Creek shipped it out and all seemed well until it arrived in Customs. Unfortunately the costs of the modifications and the fall in the $A meant that the cost of the unit had risen to just over A$1000, $1040 to be exact and I got a letter from Customs requiring me to make a declaration. Filled out my N10 form and thought I would be up for another $104. Nope there is import duty processing fee and GST is now payable on the cable including shipping making it $215. Hmm ok, paid it and at 12:54 today got my text from USPS - YAY. :cool:
Just now got a call from Mitchel requesting I come pick up my FREE Tesla mobile connector. :redface:

All good mate, at least the Clipper Creek is 15A :)

Sigh indeed!! I feel for you Meloccom.
I got away with it because i fortunately had no need of destination charging until May. Accordingly, while i had done some desultory research on options, i had not done anything about it. Then i heard that Heosat had been testing a beta of the Tesla one, so i decided to hold off, because the only place i can charge with it in Sydney only has 10 amps available anyway, and it seemed they might be imminent.
you win some, you lose some, i guess...
I wonder how much they will charge for the 15amp adaptor when it comes out?

I feel for you. Mitchell rang me today as well & I picked up the connector on the way past literally 5 minutes later. I was on the Bradfield Hwy at the time. :)

Very happy - I can now visit a mate's place near Orange AND get home again if I stay plugged in for 24 hours or so.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder how much they will charge for the 15amp adaptor when it comes out?

Should be interesting. Also the 32A and the 16A 3 Phase.

I hear the order of connection is important. Car first then wall socket.

:redface: According to the US version of the manual I am totally WRONG. It is the other way around. Which is logical to my way of thinking. But yesterday as Dan ( from Dan's Garage(it was there for an Opticoat:biggrin:) plugged it in it seemed to work when car was plugged in first. An Australia manual would be comforting.

The manual clearly states that the UMC should be plugged in first, followed by the car. If you think about it, the wall connector and the superchargers already have power before you plug in the car.
In practice it probably makes no real difference as current does not flow until the car and connector have "shaken hands". It MIGHT make a difference as to when the connector locks to the car, but frankly, the difference in time would be negligible.

The manual clearly states that the UMC should be plugged in first, followed by the car. If you think about it, the wall connector and the superchargers already have power before you plug in the car.
In practice it probably makes no real difference as current does not flow until the car and connector have "shaken hands". It MIGHT make a difference as to when the connector locks to the car, but frankly, the difference in time would be negligible.

If it does follow the standard then it does make a difference as it has to do a earth and neutral check to ensure the RCD works correctly. if you connect it the car first it might see an incorrect earth path and and pass the rcd check when it shouldn't.

Umm David did you get a manual? An Australian manual? I have not.

Tried my Tesla UMC tonight and achieved 13Kmh recharge rate.
It was plugged into a 15 Amp socket but I only have a 10 Amp pigtail currently.
It is nicely designed and appears well built.
Tesla_AU_UMC.jpg

and it comes with a bag.
Tesla_AU_UMC_Bag.jpg

I was not a Signature so it looks like it is standard, although I'm not sure you will get a free wall connector going forward.

Hi guys,

A slightly confused Tesla fan here. Hope you might be able to clear this up

1) if I buy a Model S right now, will I be able to get an official Tesla mobile charger?
2) Do i buy it separately? If so, how much? I can see the australian tesla site talk about mobile chargers, but it doesn't seem to have the australian plug and all links point to the US site, so i'm unsure..
3) Can I plug it into any australian household plug and (ever so slowly) charge my car?

Thanks!
Nick

Hi guys,

A slightly confused Tesla fan here. Hope you might be able to clear this up

1) if I buy a Model S right now, will I be able to get an official Tesla mobile charger?
2) Do i buy it separately? If so, how much? I can see the australian tesla site talk about mobile chargers, but it doesn't seem to have the australian plug and all links point to the US site, so i'm unsure..
3) Can I plug it into any australian household plug and (ever so slowly) charge my car?

Thanks!
Nick

I maybe wrong here but my sense tells me it would be at a cost to the buyer. When you buy one, it comes with the HPWC or wall charger already. The wall charger is way better(albeit expensive) than the UMC.

You have to order it through your local Tesla Motors rep. Price could be between $700-$1200 in AUD(just speculating here), as it is $650 in USD in the US

The mobile charger has just become available with a 10 amp pigtail, but with appropriate adapters ( when they become available) will be able to give 10 kW maximum. At the moment I believe because of the restriction to 10 amps or 2.4 kW, they are still supplying the wall connector. They have just issued all of us, as as I know with a free UMC. Adapters will probably come at a cost, but we will see. Accordingly I would expect that new orders will in the short term come with both. You might want to check that with the people in St Leonards.