Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Richard,
Rob D put me onto this thread as you're interested in filling in some blanks on the trip around the top end.
I'm the Vice President of the AEVA, and recently stepped down as chair of the WA branch. I'm also the media and advocacy guy for the association. We voted at the AGM to allocate funds to ensure 3-phase and 15 A power can be installed at key roadhouses around the state. The SA branch is also willing to help (they cover the NT) and of course, Qld branch is keen to help in their state too.
Basically make sure the roadhouses or cafe's are 100% onboard with the idea and confirm they will have a sparky onsite to install the power points. The AEVA will reimburse you, but we do hope you are a financial member :). We will then send a professionally designed A5 sized sign indicating that we sponsored the installation.
Teslas will be the main users of 3p power in the medium term, but we also know that this is the most convenient form of charging at a respectable rate. In time other vehicles will adopt the 3p on-board charger.
Feel free to email me on [email protected] or just my normal email address and we can discuss what equipment can get installed where.
Cheers,
Chris

My google-foo is letting me down. Looking to have a power outlet installed that I can use with my refreshed Model S Telsa mobile charger here in NZ. I have the red adapter for the UMC (euro IEC 60309 3P+N+E 16A x 3). But the house I'm installing it at only has two phase power. Any recommendations for what to install at the house? i.e. what is the best 'socket' to use (blue commando, red, something else?). ideas on wiring that (e.g. a red 3 phase socket but just with 2 phases wired up?). and if some kind of adapter would be needed. Ideally I'd not spend too much money, get a bit more than the regular 10A single phase charging.

Now the Octopus has been performance tested - and it works! Two 15A plugs feed in, and 28A+ feeds out to Tessie, enough to fully charge her overnight in a caravan park.
I'm not really encouraging anyone to build an octopus unless they can take total responsibility for its safe and compliant design, construction, maintenance and operation.

Having said that, the principle is to step down the two 240V 15A supplies to 120V 30A (isolation transformers) and put their secondary sides in series to give 240V 30A, which avoids problems of power supplies in parallel.

All risks need to be analysed and managed including but not limited to earthing, residual current, overcurrent, overtemperature, potential live plugs, crossed phases etc etc. Most of the work is in this area. Competent people, solid processes and correct components must be used at every stage.

Having said that, the octopus has achieved higher daily distances in a time-pressed environment with negligible 5 pin 3 phase around than the roughly 270/day that can be achieved with raw 15A.

Having said that, I am hoping we will put enough 3 phase in place so people can follow with a simple mix of 15A single phase (overnight) and 32A 3 phase (overnight/day).

Should I take up a legal career?

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just a quick question... My Tesla Model S p85d was recently written off in an accident and I still have a brand new, unused UMC (the mobile connector bundle) sitting in my garage. It is still wrapped in its original packaging and comes with 3 adapters.

I want to sell it, but I am not sure where would be the best place to advertise it?

With regards to single phase connections to your UMC it is possible to get 32A from single phase safely. This is because your on board charger has 3 separate single phase chargers. All you need to do is connect 3 10A leads each on L1 L2 L3 and connect their neutrals & earths together as shown in the diagram from Ray. You need to exceed 20A on L1 for the distribution to the other leads takes place after a delay. Check Rays post no444. It should work on single phase/ three phase as well..Ill have to find out how legal this is. I thank Andrew C for this..Details-remove the part with the 10A lead. You will see the pins to connect to. You should make up a box with 3 10A circuit beakers or 16A if you have the GPOs. Connect to the pins using solar connectors & a ferrule for the pilot pin. Use a 50k resistor between pilot & earth. Example1- twin 10A outlets (GPOs). Connect as above. Plug into Tesla. Set current to 22A wait for a minute & see current drop. Readjust to 20A. Example 2 15A GPOs. Connect as above. Set current to 22A,wait. Readjust to 30A. you may need to check settings every time you charge. Example3 3 10A GPOs as above but also check for 30A setting in Tesla. There may be a way of getting 40A. More work to do.

Here's a 3 phase tip ...

To quite a few people, 3-phase seems much too inconvenient to bother with. This is unfortunate as 3 phase will be around for quite a while. For example Tesla has ruled out supplying any destination chargers between Port Augusta and Darwin.

However 3 phase can be really quite easy if you do it right.

TIP 1) Make sure you use an angled 3 phase plug with a wide screw ring ... for everything - 32 amp, 20 amp and even your extension cable (if you have one) ...

Angled 3 Phase Plug with Wide Screw Ring.jpg

Why?

It eliminates most of the hassle ...

1) It is clear which way is up, and saves you looking at the socket, looking at the plug and rotating to match the pins (which can take more than one go!).

2) Your forearm lines up with the plug so you push it straight in, making it more likely to go in clean and straight without jamming.

3) The wide screw ring means you get a solid easy grip and can easily screw it in and out, without being down to your fingertips as it screws down into the socket.

TIP 2) Use your angled wide-ring plug with a plug-and-play charging cable (UMC, Juice Booster 2 etc) that you do not have to adjust or even look at when you charge. Then 3 phase is simplicity itself!

Note that Evnomics' source of angled wide-ring plugs is a bit intermittent, and you might have to pay extra for a big brand (NHP or Clipsal) but it will be worth it !

Without searching this thread, can you get a 15amp adaptor for the mobile charger, to get 15amp draw?
No, Tesla don't make/sell a 15 Amp Au adaptor, they sell the 3 phase 16Amp Euro adaptor, where you can just use 1 phase with a 15 Amp plug, you just have to dial down the Amps in the car. 3 phase euro socket Waterproof IP44 5 Pin Coupler Socket Mount 380V 3 phase 3P+N+E 16A | eBay just get your electrican to connect L1 phase to a 15 Amp plug.
Some charging info for Australia. Tesla Charging Options for Australia

No, Tesla don't make/sell a 15 Amp Au adaptor, they sell the 3 phase 16Amp Euro adaptor, where you can just use 1 phase with a 15 Amp plug, you just have to dial down the Amps in the car. 3 phase euro socket Waterproof IP44 5 Pin Coupler Socket Mount 380V 3 phase 3P+N+E 16A | eBay just get your electrican to connect L1 phase to a 15 Amp plug.
Some charging info for Australia. Tesla Charging Options for Australia
Gelco in Adelaide will do this for you. They did mine real nice. Ask for a 3m lead as there is often a tap and puddle under 15A outlets.

Actually, the Tesla is happy to see the same phase on all three pins - this is how the blue 32A adapter on the european Tesla UMC manages to do 32A single phase charging on single-charger cars (though as you say, this isn't how 3-phase is normally supposed to work!).
I have found using the 3 phase adapter with two 15 amp tails, you'll get 16 amps total over both tails, turn either power point off, it still keeps charging.

Do Tesla Au sell the 32A blue adapter in Australia?

I have found using the 3 phase adapter with two 15 amp tails, you'll get 16 amps total over both tails, turn either power point off, it still keeps charging.

How have you connected two 15 A tails to the three phase adapter? A jerry rigged three phase female to two 15A males?
The current is drawn from the car and the car uses the tail to determine what it is 'allowed' to draw. If you are plugging those two tails on to the one circuit, be very careful that you aren't overloading the circuit you are connected to.

I'd also be checking the exposed male pins for voltages present - even contact with an uncommon earth could cause issues. unless I've misunderstood what you've you mean by two 15A tails?