Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 aerial photo from tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

electric_feel

The Electric Baron
May 29, 2016
SoCal
I don't know how many people have seen this picture, but there's a tweet from July 29th from Elon Musk's sister Tosca Musk, which includes an aerial photo comparing the Model X, S, and 3:
Col7ssYWcAAbZUU.jpg

Isnt the 3 supposed to be significantly smaller than the S? From that picture, they look relatively the same length.
It is about a foot shorter. That is not obvious from that photo due to the angle at which it was taken and the placement of the 3 in the foreground.

This photo has been posted on TMC before in the Model 3 Photos thread.

Reactions: Red Sage
It is about a foot shorter. That is not obvious from that photo due to the angle at which it was taken and the placement of the 3 in the foreground.

This photo has been posted on TMC before in the Model 3 Photos thread.
It may be a foot shorter, however it appears that the foot is due to a shorter "frunk". I can totally accept that. The window, wheel base appear to be identical and that beautiful top glass is astounding.

It may be a foot shorter, however it appears that the foot is due to a shorter "frunk"
See this post Model 3 Dimensions

According to that analysis, the approximately one foot size difference is due to a shorter trunk and a shorter front end. The comparison also shows how the Model 3 windshield is moved forward slightly, which correlates well with Elon's statement that the firewall (which he admits is an antiquated term when used to describe the barrier between the passenger compartment and the forward compartment) has been moved forward slightly to maintain cabin space.

Motor Trend estimated the Model ☰ at 184.1" L x 74.2" W x 56.5" H compared to the Model S at 196" L x 77" W x 57" H
and I agree with GG that the difference in length is all coming out of the frunk/trunk. The interior cabin length is comparable.
IOW - it's not a small car
I agree with your analysis and conclusion. At the Model 3 reveal I was surprised that the car was as large as it appeared to be, and later the Motor Trend dimension estimates confirmed my impression. Elon always said the Model 3 would be about 20% smaller than the Model S. It doesn't look 20% smaller, but he clearly was referring to the overall interior volume, not the length/width/height of the car, since volume increases as the cube of the linear dimensions (for geometric figures).

Though I've already seen this pic before, something just caught my attention. Do the X and S panoramic roofs come tinted like they appear in the picture? I'm assuming that the 3 there isn't tinted so they can show off the interior from above. But I'd assume the 3 would be delivered with tints like the X and S pictured? Or am I just seeing things due to the angle of the picture?

Though I've already seen this pic before, something just caught my attention. Do the X and S panoramic roofs come tinted like they appear in the picture? I'm assuming that the 3 there isn't tinted so they can show off the interior from above. But I'd assume the 3 would be delivered with tints like the X and S pictured? Or am I just seeing things due to the angle of the picture?

Yes both the Model X and S do have tinted roofs. I imagine the 3 will be also.

Tinted or not... that's too much glass for me. I'd love the view from the inside, but I live in Texas, and where I work there is ZERO covered parking. Even with sun shields while parked, the interior of a vehicle gets HOT.
I test drove a Model S with the Pano roof. Even tinted, it was hot when we first got in.

Tinted or not... that's too much glass for me. I'd love the view from the inside, but I live in Texas, and where I work there is ZERO covered parking. Even with sun shields while parked, the interior of a vehicle gets HOT.
I test drove a Model S with the Pano roof. Even tinted, it was hot when we first got in.

Living in Florida, I initially had the same concerns. BUT, as long as I can remote start the AC before I get to the car, then I'm not worried about it! The open view for myself and especially my family would be worth it. Although looking up at rain might be a little weird...

I don't understand why a Tesla is ever hot when you get in. You can start the AC before you get in. You can also start the heat before you get in for you northerners such as myself.

Living in Florida, I initially had the same concerns. BUT, as long as I can remote start the AC before I get to the car, then I'm not worried about it! The open view for myself and especially my family would be worth it. Although looking up at rain might be a little weird...
Looking at the rain would be great.

What I'm waiting for the most is folding down ALL of the seats (drivers side included) and laying there looking up at the sky/rain/snow through the pano roof. Its gonna be fantastic.