Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3, AWD Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Winnipeg, Canada. It is very clod here (average winter temp is -25C i.e. -13 F) and I am definitely getting winter tires, when Car is coming next week.

My question is: We are planning a long toad trip from Winnipeg to Florida - 2,200 miles (3,600 KMs) one way. I start from Winnipeg (cold), go through North Dakota (cold) and probably until Chicago, will have cold weather. Ideally I need winter tires until Chicago. But after Chicago, until Florida it will be warm weather - where I dont need winter tires.

Please advise should I travel with winter tires as first leg until Chicago will be cold, or should I just use stock tires as it will be too warm in Florida for my winter tires.

We plan to begin our journey on Feb 28 and plan a 12 day round trip.

Please help

There's a newish category of Winter all-season tires that may interest you. It's qualified in Canada as a winter tire, but is also apparently for all-season use. It's the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake group of tires, which include the Michelin CrossClimate+ and the Vredestein Quatrac5, and others.

By end of Feb, you may just start to catch the warming temps and could make it on just the OEM tires.

Are you Dual Motor and 18 or 19 tires? If so, and if you drive like the family's in the car, I think you and the car should be fine with the stock tires. The 20-inchers are meant to be dry-pavement only, although mine have performed flawlessly in rain. Apparently they're just not good in cold.
Just my experience so far.

I drove up from Atlanta, GA in late November early December. Snow & slush in northern MN, but not in a major storm. Used regular stock 18" tires. No problem. Might depend a bit on your route though. I went to Grand Forks (overnight charge) then to Bemidji, MN (Tourist Center) for short charge and onward to Baxter SuC. Once you get there, and then down to the interstate, all is good. Obviously if you hit a storm, things change. If you have CHAdeMO then you would go to Fargo and over to Chicago.
As you don't say what you are getting I'll assume you are getting a M3 LR DM like me.

The other thing to keep in mind:

Unlike summer tires in winter, winter tires in summer don't degrade to something dangerous. While it won't be the best for their longevity, and you would definitely be sacrificing some max grip you can perfectly safely make that trip solely on winter tires. I would far rather take that trip on winter tires than all seasons, and would not even attempt it on summer rubber.

Today's winter tires are far more robust than they used to be. If you're on a 12 day trip, a few days in the relatively cool weather (for Florida) at this time of year won't hurt anything.

I'd rather have winters on when I needed them to avoid crashing and sacrifice a tiny bit of longevity than risk damaging the car or worse. Of course, I don't know the weather situation where you are, and when you are leaving. It might just be "cold" with no chance of precipitation, in which case the stock all seasons will be more then fine.

But I wouldn't let the fear of "ruining a set of winters" be the deterrent because that's not going to happen.

Reactions: coleAK
There's a newish category of Winter all-season tires that may interest you. It's qualified in Canada as a winter tire, but is also apparently for all-season use. It's the 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake group of tires, which include the Michelin CrossClimate+ and the Vredestein Quatrac5, and others.

By end of Feb, you may just start to catch the warming temps and could make it on just the OEM tires.

Thanks for this information @KenC. I'll seriously consider a set of these (Michelin CrossClimate+) when it comes time to replace the original ones. I had Michelin tires on my Altima and they were a nice ride & quieter than most tires.

2019 LR AWD Stock '18s
I took a road trip to Utah, Park City. During my drive there, i encountered a lot of snow. To the point where my wipers were frozen and so was the wiper hose.The roads were pretty well plowed. I can honestly say that I felt pretty safe with the stock 18 tires.

I would recommend you drive on Chill and Low Regen.

I only had 1 scare during the entire trip, the car lost traction at 60mph and started to drift left towards a cement block. I didn't make any counter corrections until I felt traction and then corrected the direction of the car.