Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now sources familiar with an upcoming Tesla software update told Electrek that the automaker is working on a feature that will let owners get rid of that locked range in blue if their cars are plugged in.

With the recently released 2017.50 vehicle software update and an upcoming mobile app update, Tesla owners will be able to independently activate a “battery preheating” feature through the mobile app – again if the car is plugged in.

Tesla previously enabled owners to pre-heat the cabin through the app, but now it will also be able to warm the battery pack.

Of course, the advantage is that the battery can charge while the pre-heating process takes place, which maintains the charge before taking the vehicle for a drive. Tesla says that the new feature will maximize efficiency in cold climates.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and Aussie Bob
I REALLY am looking forward to the preheat battery feature. It’ll save me a lot of effort trying to get my batteries to warm when the cold weather really hits here. As it stands, I’m on limited regen for more than 90% of my commute and it’s annoying as heck.

With the remote app, when you turn on the cabin heat it DOES turn on the pack heater. It will heat the pack up to 50% regen level if you leave it long enough.

I've repeatedly verified this - with the pack cold soaked below freezing there is zero regen. If you preheat for half an hour or so you get about 50% regen. Also the power draw during that time peaks at 11-12A, which is the combined draw of the pack heater and the cabin heater when both are operating at full power.

This just adds an independent control of the pack heater.

It seems to me, and this is just anecdotal, but the regen dotted line limit when the battery is cold seems to appear at warmer temperatures, and with greater limiting, than it did in the first few years I owned my vehicle. As it got colder this winter, I was surprised to see a regen limit when it was 8 degrees C coming out of my garage. I wonder if they have learned that preventing too much regen when the battery is cold leads to less degradation? Or maybe it's just me and there's been no change?

I don't recall a specific temperature, but my (often faulty) memory says the regen limit line would appear anywhere around 10C. The last four winters the regen limit has consistently showed, and I have the same weather (well... less rain and more flowers :) ) as you.
I agree - it seems to kick in around 10C or maybe even slightly higher around 12C.

I agree - it seems to kick in around 10C or maybe even slightly higher around 12C.

I'm going to suggest it is 13C. I haven't had my car long, but late fall/early winter I'd frequently come out of my parking garage at 13C with the regen limit active and my commute isn't long enough to get rid of it. Note that my condo does not have chargers, so my car was...luke warm soaking...over night.

So to get back on track... they are definitely coming down hard on commercial use of their vehicles. From the Model 3 warranty document:
Warranty Limitations
This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse,negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
  • Driving for business or commercial purposes, including, but not limited to, taxi, livery, or ride-sharing purposes, rental services, delivery services, law enforcement or emergency services;•Accidents, collisions, or objects striking the vehicle;
  • The environment or an act of God, including, but not limited to ... animal or insect droppings...
For vehicle malfunctions due to warrantable issues, transportation services, provided by Roadside Assistance,are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond 500 miles (800 km) or any additional transportation from such locations to any additional location.

Flat tires are not covered under warranty;however Tesla will cover the cost of a tow, provided by Roadside Assistance, for the first 50 miles(80 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center, while the vehicle is covered by the New or Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty. The cost of towing for a flat tire beyond 50 miles (80 km) and the cost of the replacement tire(s) are at your expense.

All in all, looks pretty straight forward - not sure if the last two items are any different than the S/X. Happy to see that they've got Canada harmonized in there - that probably means most of the Canadian paperwork is mostly ready to go so there should be no political delays - just production.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
FYI: Apparently, there's a guy who's doing a tour in a Model 3 who will be making stops in Toronto, Kingston and elsewhere to let others see it in person. Sorry, but haven't found dates yet except Toronto on January 3rd, 8pm at the Lawrence SC.

Tesla Model 3 Road Trip
I’d be interested in checking this out. It’s great they’re doing a tour. God knows the GTA won’t be seeing any 3’s at least another year or so....
Hope to keep this up to date

Not sure if senile or just poor planning, but he has a Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto meet planned all on Jan 3rd, and all within a few hours of each other. Either he has a bunch of M3s coming or his car already has a software update that supports teleportation
Or the Boring company will have completed hyperloops connecting those three cities in the next few weeks!