Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new software update to Model 3 in Australia . . . . 2019.40.50.7

This was recorded at the Supercharger station at Broadway shopping centre in Sydney

I was not sharing the stall with anyone else.

View attachment 502254

Arrived with 16km of charge left in the battery

View attachment 502256

Model 3 SR+ ramping up to max 128kW 938 km/h

View attachment 502259

Stopped charging between 40-45 min from arrival at 349 km with 333km added to the battery (95%)

The economy rate was fantastic too at 143 wh / km (as shown in first photo) and I wasn't driving for economy.

At this point I had already driven more than 500km and gave heaps of test rides to friends and family doing fast accelerations between 0 - 80 kph.

Added to my previous photos (shown above)

If you are running low on your battery (i was at 6% or 16km left), you can now charge a Model 3 SR+ and add 300km range in 30 min

Model 3 charging Broadway 03.JPG

yes indeed, up here in Cairns it rains all the time and ever since then we get this Error 47 and another error (?96) when trying to charge. Now interestingly enough this seems to be a tritium charger problem when it rains and Bjorn actually talked about this in one of his videos a few days ago. He said the solution was to press the charger firmly into the port.
I found this makes no difference, you just have to try charging until it works. In my experience it takes 5-8 connection attempts and then it will charge.

Thanks.
That's useful to know.

My #2 desire is for Slarti to charge when there is excess solar as per my other post - that requires Tesla software development in concert with PW2, so that will be one of my feature requests.
Well, I don’t want to claim credit that my suggestion has been taken on board at Tesla (it’s unlikely that I was the first person to think of this), but it looks like this will be happening, according to Electrek:

https://electrek.co/2020/02/20/tesla-firmwar-integrating-powerwall-vehicle-charging/

Fingers crossed! This would be totally fabulous.

Well, I don’t want to claim credit that my suggestion has been taken on board at Tesla (it’s unlikely that I was the first person to think of this), but it looks like this will be happening, according to Electrek:

Tesla firmware hints at integration of Powerwall and vehicle charging - Electrek

Fingers crossed! This would be totally fabulous.

The only thing i'm concerned about is that if it needs the new Tesla Wall Connector with Wifi to work or the new Powerwall 2 backup gateway that came out in 2018. Our Powerwall was installed in 2017.

The only thing i'm concerned about is that if it needs the new Tesla Wall Connector with Wifi to work or the new Powerwall 2 backup gateway that came out in 2018. Our Powerwall was installed in 2017.
I don’t see why it would. The car controls the charge rate from the HPWC (you can select your own charge rate in Amps on the console) - no communication over the air is required to the HPWC to do that. So all Tesla needs to do is calculate what charge current in amps to the car would absorb the excess solar reported by the gateway, and then tell the car to charge at that rate (dialing up and down in real time as required).

Does anyone here have experience with programming OpenEVSE to divert excess solar? I connected my OpenEVSE and my Fronius inverter to a rasberry pi VM running emoncms. All connectivity works except the MQTT signalling which is required for the solar diversion functionality.

I have an existing support ticket in OpenEVSE
problems setting up MQTT solar integration from OpenEm on OpenEVSE

For now, I've ordered a raspberry Pi just so I can rule out any VM issues. Any input welcome.

Does anyone here have experience with programming OpenEVSE to divert excess solar? I connected my OpenEVSE and my Fronius inverter to a rasberry pi VM running emoncms. All connectivity works except the MQTT signalling which is required for the solar diversion functionality.

I have an existing support ticket in OpenEVSE
problems setting up MQTT solar integration from OpenEm on OpenEVSE

For now, I've ordered a raspberry Pi just so I can rule out any VM issues. Any input welcome.
I'm using OpenEVSE and EmonCMS. Works a treat.
I upgraded the firmware on the OpenEVSE so that I could get the default ECO mode and had to reset the MQTT parameters which was not straightforward. Do you have the ESP8266 or the ESP32 wifi module in yours?.

. Do you have the ESP8266 or the ESP32 wifi module in yours?.

I'm running V3.3.1 so it must be ESP32. I work around the problem by using a different wifi AP. I put the raspberry pi into AP mode and it seems to work just fine.

I've put together a video of the setup, although I have glossed over many technical details

https://myattachments.s3.amazonaws.com/Openevse20200920.mp4

Smooth sailing after I got the wifi issues sorted.

Last edited: