Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I looked and compared it to what already came with my M3 and the other cable options out there it was still cheaper to buy an adaptor and set of cables for type 2 to J1772, caravan/commando and 20A and 32A 3 phase sockets. It is a nicely resolved but if design tho

Thanks mate. Could do us a favour and provide links to where you purchased all those? I know you have provided some, but to be honest I am confused about which is which so a comprehensive list would be very appreciated!

Reactions: Hairyman
Thanks mate. Could do us a favour and provide links to where you purchased all those? I know you have provided some, but to be honest I am confused about which is which so a comprehensive list would be very appreciated!

Got the caravan (blue 32A) adaptor and 20A and 32A cables from here: Home - EVchargers - EV cables and adaptors

Got the J1772 to Type 2 and Type 2 to Type 2 cable as a bundle (cheaper) from here: EV Public Charging Bundle

If you join Tesla Owners Club of Australia then the EV chargers discount through them will get your membership fees back pretty much straight away.

One of the forum members has written a very good blog on charging adaptors etc, but I can’t seem to find it just now EDIT: found it Charging Adaptors — TSL43.info

Last edited:
Hi,
New here. I have a SR+ on order and have been following all the threads.
So much info, thanks to all.
Just wondering about charging my M3 overnight on off peak electricity.
I have 4.5 kW PV, 8.5 kW of Lion batteries.
I’m getting the Tesla Wall charger installed with single phase 40 amp breaker.
So, what happens when the M3 starts charging on off peak if I want it charged overnight.
Does it first draw from my batteries or the grid?
Should I switch of house batteries off while the car charges overnight to keep them fully charged?
Moskito

Do you know what the inverter size is on your battery?

As I understand it, the model 3 will pull a maximum of 7.6kW on single phase (32A). You plan to connect your wall connector to a 40A circuit.

If your battery's inverter was say 5kW, your battery wasn't flat and you were consuming no additional power in your house, then 5kW would be drawn from the battery and the remaining 2.6kW would come from the grid.

Hence, in your case if you wanted to fully deplete your battery first, you may want to reduce the charge rate in your model 3 to less than the capacity of your battery's inverter minus any standby loads in your house.

Hi,
New here. I have a SR+ on order and have been following all the threads.
So much info, thanks to all.
Just wondering about charging my M3 overnight on off peak electricity.
I’m getting the Tesla Wall charger installed with single phase 40 amp breaker.
So, what happens when the M3 starts charging on off peak if I want it charged overnight.
Does it first draw from my batteries or the grid?
Should I switch of house batteries off while the car charges overnight to keep them fully charged?
Moskito
It will depend on your battery management system. My PW2 with a smart meter will not take anything out of the battery for the car circuit while my electric car charging rates apply (0000-0400). I’m with Powershop.

I don’t think you will find a generic answer, but there are a lot of interesting solutions out there.

My PV has Enphase inverters with Envoy management.
7 Enphase batts, 8.68 kW
Victorian smart meter.
Time of Use supply.
Works great. Min power bills.
Thanks Hairyman and Craig for reply.
My BMS does not seem to support controlling draw from batts.
Guess I’ll turn off batts for overnight charge of M3.
Thanks

Reactions: Hairyman
I was contemplating starting a new thread for this, but I’ll roll my arm over here.

I find the Tesla charge timers in the car somewhat annoying in that they don’t do what I want them to do.

My #1 desire would be to have Slartibartfast only charge from the grid at offpeak rates, say between midnight and 6am, so it would just charge for 6 hours at the fixed charge rate and then stop (unless it reached the charge % limit before then). I don’t care what % it finishes at. But there seems to be no way to get it to do that.

Also, setting any kind of schedule, or even no schedule, and then manually starting and stopping the charge via the App to take advantage of solar excess or try to emulate the above doesn’t really work either. Because under all conditions, as soon as you open the app and “wake” the car, it will start charging again even if you previously manually stopped charging. That’s because any time of day will either be after the set charging start time, or before the complete charging by time.

In the LEAF, fixed time windows can be set for charging and assigned to different days of the week.

My #2 desire is for Slarti to charge when there is excess solar as per my other post - that requires Tesla software development in concert with PW2, so that will be one of my feature requests.

Reactions: bay74
My #1 desire would be to have Slartibartfast only charge from the grid at offpeak rates, say between midnight and 6am, so it would just charge for 6 hours at the fixed charge rate and then stop (unless it reached the charge % limit before then). I don’t care what % it finishes at. But there seems to be no way to get it to do that.

Not sure if this helps, but I am doing exactly this part using Teslafi. I have charging set to start at Midnight using the native Tesla scheduling, then I have a schedule set in Teslafi to turn off charging at 4am (my super off peak rates are from midnight to 4am). This is working perfectly. From everything I have seen, if you want to do the solar based charging, the options are to either get a Zappi, or do the Raspberry Pi based hack on the HPWC, which you can find on youtube, but it needs a fair bit of tech knowlegde, whereas the Zappi is pretty much plug and play. Both solutions are aimed at using spare PV capacity to charge the car during the day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and TASKA9
@Vostok I too found the charging scheduling feature inadequate. I wish is similar to your #2. You know any programming? you should be able to do something with the API. In your case, you should be able to get the status and send command from/to both your car and the powerwall. Took me around 10 minutes from knowing nothing about Tesla API till I could wake the car to read the state of charge. In my case, it is a little complicated. I need to Solaredge API access to get to read the excess solar generation.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Not sure if this helps, but I am doing exactly this part using Teslafi. I have charging set to start at Midnight using the native Tesla scheduling, then I have a schedule set in Teslafi to turn off charging at 4am (my super off peak rates are from midnight to 4am). This is working perfectly. From everything I have seen, if you want to do the solar based charging, the options are to either get a Zappi, or do the Raspberry Pi based hack on the HPWC, which you can find on youtube, but it needs a fair bit of tech knowlegde, whereas the Zappi is pretty much plug and play. Both solutions are aimed at using spare PV capacity to charge the car during the day.
was thinking as well that teslafi should provide this sort of scheduling.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My preference is for a native solution, hence I’ll go down the ‘suggestions to Tesla’ route for future software updates.

The API approach is an interesting one because it uses existing infrastructure :cool: I still cut code so may check it out, having the time to devote to doing it is the bigger problem :D

Programming a Tesla vehicle to charge from surplus solar or other electrical infrastructure parameter would be much easier if the charging amps could be varied through the API. However, last I checked, it could not. The charging amps can only be controlled through the EVSE pilot signal. That is the way it is done by Zappi, the Tesla Wall Connector Master/Slave protocol, and OpenEVSE. Even if you use one of those, there is a chance that the vehicle will not notice a new pilot signal if the vehicle is in sleep mode. In that case, you would need an additional trigger through the API asking the car to wake and start charging.

I was after the cheapest option for connecting to a 3phase 32A outlet with the UMC (single phase obviously).

EVSE Adaptors will sell a UMC tail with a bare end and a chip, for USD $62 with free shipping, you just need to connect it to a 3 phase plug.
This is what they said to me.

"Thank you for contacting us. We are the only manufacturer of the Tesla Gen2 compatible adapters (aside from Tesla themselves). If you wish, to save some money I can send you a cable without the plug and you can purchase a 3-phase plug locally and wire it on. If you wish to place the order, you won't find it advertised on the website so here's the secret link to it:
https://www.evseadapters.com/.../connector-for-tesla.../ "

I have ordered one, and will update when I get it about how well it works. I asked about if it had the chip and they said

"The chip has to go in the plug end because it monitors the plug temperature in addition to communicating the current setting to the UMC. So you'll see two thin wires with the chip attached to them, besides the three larger wires that you'll wire onto the plug. You just need to take a little care when inserting the cord into the plug to avoid damaging the chip."

You could also buy the 16A version of it and connect a standard 15A plug to it, to get faster charging than the 15A reduced to 12A tail that comes with the UMC, although you would then be pulling 16A out of a 15A outlet, but could turn it down in the car to 15A if you wanted to.

Can someone kindly point out what type of power cables/adaptors I need to purchase for charging at public chargers in Vic, nsw, Qld? Or is the cable/adaptor supplied with the car sufficient? I understand the car has a ccs2 charge port.

There are heaps of data availble in this forum so couldn't work out whats right/wrong. I'm new to ev tech so any help would be great.

I'm getting a model 3 LR.