Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cars are taken because there are tons of happy people out there right now.
This.
So much this.

Tesla probably moved 100+ cars today they otherwise would have had to deliver at a later date. It's the end of the quarter. EVERY end of quarter has a rush, and this is another one.

Yes this event seems to have been thrown together at the last second, but hey, its a start. Let's hope they refine the process and it only gets better tomorrow and next weekend.

/edit. I mean really the end goal should be to have 1 or two of the most popular configs available on the lot of most Tesla Stores so people could in theory buy a car on the spot if they had the one they want in stock. If you want something more custom you can always order online and wait for a delivery, but some people really like to just go to a store and drive away in a new car.

Reactions: webdbbt
I am very tempted to get there at 8:30AM Sunday and see if I get lucky...

That was my thinking this morning. I still think it’s possible, if you’re willing to be flexible.

Those of us with long-standing reservations, or even a VIN, could think of this as an opportunity to re-negotiate. That could mean losing pricing priority for paint or other options. But it could also be a chance to step down from P to AWD, or AWD to RWD. That might make sense for some folks. It’s a fresh opportunity to think about trade-offs.

For everyone else, it’s an opportunity to step right up and drive away in a new Model 3. Two years ago that was difficult to imagine.

Last edited:
Given that shipping is backed up to some areas of the country (like TX) they probably decided they could not ship these cars and book delivery by the end of the quarter. So, they want to unload as many as possible to maximize cash flow, what better way than just to sell them to those that will come pick them up.

I bet they keep doing this until the end of the quarter.

Reactions: neroden
Just got back from the event, they didn't have the spec I wanted on the lot, so one of the Tesla employees searched the local inventory for me, but found none nearby. I am now scheduled for delivery at the same location on September 22nd, but she said that if they find a match earlier they will be in touch with me. It was still worth the trip because my original date was the 26th.

For people showing up tomorrow, a few notes:
  • When you arrive you can just grab the check in form and then go and look for a car in the lot
  • If you find one that's available, you can take the paper tag and go straight to the desks at the back left as you enter the warehouse
  • If you don't find one, go to the right after you enter and speak to a Tesla employee to search the local inventory
  • You can do Tesla financing, cash, or 3rd party financing with a check in hand.
  • Most of the cars were RWD, most seemed to be white interior, but they had all different exterior colors

Good info. But it’s possible Tesla might try to refine things tomorrow which might render the info outdated. If they do, hopefully one of the things they refined was communication so the people who show up tomorrow know the process better than they did today.

Were there any AWD models at all? Can you tell an AWD from an RWD unless it says so on the mirror tag or some other piece of paper, since the Dual Motor emblems apparently aren't being put on until after delivery, and I'm sure you can't turn the car on in the lot.

Were there any AWD models at all? Can you tell an AWD from an RWD unless it says so on the mirror tag or some other piece of paper, since the Dual Motor emblems apparently aren't being put on until after delivery, and I'm sure you can't turn the car on in the lot.
If the 8th digit of the VIN is an "A", it's RWD. If the 8th digit of the VIN is a "B", it's AWD (including performance).

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I checked it out. Arrived at around 5:30 pm and confirmed what others had already discovered, no AWD available. They said they want fast in the morning. If I wanted to upgrade to a performance or downgrade to a RWD then it sounded like I might have had a chance to get one today. Now if you didn't have a delivery scheduled yet they were scheduling them. I told them I had one already and it was earlier than what they were scheduling so they told me to hang on to it. It's unclear who they emailed the invite to, would someone who had an RWD configuration been able to to get an AWD this morning?

Reactions: EVChris