Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I expect the wheelbase to be no less than 110", as that is fairly standard in the segment. I would not be surprised if it is as much as 113" or 114", because that is what I personally guessed a long time ago anyway. Using those numbers, if you presume a 36" fore and aft of the wheel hub centers, that gives a range of 182" to 186" as the overall length. That said, I would not be surprised at all if it ends up being as much as 10" shorter than that range.

As discussed previously, several independent attempts to figure out the length of the Model 3 using wheel/tire diameter, etc. and measuring available drawings and photos, have revealed that the wheelbase is about 68% of the overall length. If you assume, or determine, that the wheelbase is 110", then the length is about 162". A 114" wheelbase would give an OAL of about 168". While these lengths seem quite short compared to the BMW 3-series or Audi A4, they do reflect the very short overhangs of the Model 3.

Looking at all the estimates of size, it will be somewhere close to the size of a NIssan Leaf. Many people in the UK complain that the Model S is too big for UK roads. Well, I used to have a mid size pickup truck, and it was fine around the lanes. The Leaf is 175" long and 70" wide, or 21" shorter than the S, and 7" narrower. The Pickup I had was a Nissan Navara, which is 10" longer than the S and the exact same width. This was also fine down the lanes, although being 10" shorter than the truck would make an S easier to find a space for!

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
Well, my friend who owns a 2013 Model S (no parking sensors), has always told me that he feels his car is "huge". (they also own a Subaru impreza, and a Toyota Sienna for comparison). I've been in that car plenty of times and I concur. I think the Model 3 will be "just the right size".

^158" is what a 4 door Mini Cooper measures, so I guess it's possible for the M3 to be that small. The car did not look that short though looking at those videos with real people near the cars. I think the car will be sized closer to a Honda Civic which is 182". The earlier post with the 180" estimate looks very plausible.

I'm still wondering why the length is such a guarded secret? Tesla made some high quality pre-production models- I really doubt that they are going to make any significant length changes at this stage of design. They could certainly give a +/- factor at this stage.

^ note that the government tests production cars; however, Tesla's CAD system is very capable of simulating crashes. I think Tesla already has a good idea of how this car will perform in a crash test- the big variable is how the test evolves over time. The overlap crash test is relatively new and that explains why many cars that are 2-5 years into their model cycles don't do so well in the offset crash- they weren't designed for that scenario.

In thinking about the length more, I really doubt the M3 will be shorter than a Nissan Leaf which is 175" and has a very stubby rear which the Tesla does not. Both are 5 passenger cars and the Leaf's overhang is similar to the M3's.

howlong.png
When Model Trend checked out the M3 they reported that the rear tire was 275/30/20, which is 26.5" diameter. Using that I get about 176" plus or minus.

View attachment 173328 When Model Trend checked out the M3 they reported that the rear tire was 275/30/20, which is 26.5" diameter. Using that I get about 176" plus or minus.
Great - I was just about to post a similar picture. For those of you with measuring tools, here's one of the back so someone can guesstimate the width from the license plate (my plate with similar frame is 12.25" in width)

rear.jpg

and here's another side view from the top of the Gigafactory:

side.jpg

I am really happy with the size and proportions. Great room for rear passengers, short overhangs, Seems just right.
Only question for me is the width. Hopefully it isn't a bit too wide. They tried to make the rear 3 across capable. I would have been happy if it were just a 4 seater, not "almost 5".

OK, I will apologize up front as I am not necessarily a "car guy" other than knowing I like what I like!

With that said, why does there seem to be so much concern with the exact length and width of the car? Interior dimensions I could understand. Being 6'2" I am interested in that too. Why the obsession with exterior dimensions though?

Dan

With that said, why does there seem to be so much concern with the exact length and width of the car? Interior dimensions I could understand.

Dan

Probably because exterior dimensions necessarily dictate interior dimensions to a certain extent. Even if Tesla is able to stretch this to the limits, people still associate external dimensions with car classes. A car that looks small is assumed to be small.

For me, I don't want anything smaller on the outside than my TSX, which should translate to more interior space in the Model 3 - which is exactly what I want.

Plus, Tesla needs a vehicle in it's lineup to slot in between the Model S and this:

160216073717-radio-flyer-tesla-2-620x348.jpg

Re-reading Snowdog's post #40 and all the other stuff, I am inclined to agree that the M3 wheelbase could be the same as the MS. This still gives reasonable overall length (with short overhangs) and height. Cross-checking all the photos seems to confirm this and it make sense. Obviously the M3 would be appreciably narrower.

This may allow more crossover from the MS in the battery area - and other stuff too. Better ride and directional stability even if the agility may be compromised (perhaps the top performance spec cars could have rear wheel steering?)

Such a w/b would give much better internal space - especially for this category. There is no direct cost relationship between w/b length and cost either.

Any validated evidence that this is not the case?
M3 vs Ms overlay.jpg

By the way while I was reviewing all the stuff, I studied the 'clay model of the Model 3' which appeared ages ago and realized that it is virtually what was revealed - obviously with detail changes. The main difference was that the nose is now longer and the rear shorter but the general shape; w/b; length and height are very similar!

So the M3 was 'hiding in plain sight' all this time with wild and inaccurate speculation left right and centre...........

Tesla-Model-3-Clay-Proto-1024x640.png

Last edited: