Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Safe to say, seats will be upgraded.

View attachment 1020219

-Danny
Is it just me or does it look like there is a ton of width in the back to accommodate a much wider wheel?
IMG_2377.jpeg

Plaid doesn't cost much more than that.
$110K ($90K + track pack) is way more than $60K.

The magic of Porsche gt cars has a lot to do with there ultralight unsprung mass
Porsche GT cars run huge tires and wheels, and there's noting really special about the control arms or hubs. I mean, Porsche even runs rear axle steering that uses an actuator that increases unsprung mass.

People are really over-estimating the impact of a few unsprung pounds on a 4K lb car.

Reactions: momo3605
For comparison, you should add Track Pack to Model 3 too.
Fine.
I promise you that a $65,500 Tesla Model 3 Performance Highland with the Track Pack on CUP 2 tires will absolutley come nowhere to the Taycan's 7:07 at the Nurburgring, or even the Plaid's 7:25, so there is no way they will be "putting it up against the new Taycan"

This does not mean it's not a fast car, or a performance bargain, or aything else. But there is no putting it up against that car.
Unless of course they do it in the same way they put a Cybertruck against a 911- which is by lying about it because Elon is fragile and pissed that the Taycan might beat the Plaid sometimes, so Porsche must be attacked.

We're full circle on this conversation. Define "customer expectations of Plaid." I'm sure everyone will agree, right? /s
A simple calculation using base Model S(3.1) and base Model X(3.8) 0-60 times vs their Plaid counterparts shows a 35% and 34% reduction respectively. The same can be said for the top speed on the base Model S vs Model S Plaid which is again a 35% reduction. That can’t be said about the base Model X vs Model X Plaid top speed which is likely limited for safety. 1/4 mile times are all over the place but likely would fall into the same realm? However, under this calculation the Performance already meets Plaid requirements, maybe it won’t be any faster!🥹

A logical expectation would be to be the fastest 0-60, 1/4 mile, and or top speed for the segment since Plaid in the movie “Spaceballs” is defined as such…”Nothing is faster than plaid!”

Not that it would matter to Elon or Tesla but for arguments sake what would you define AMG, M or any of the other manufacturers performance wings as? I’m sure every single customer that desires these vehicles doesn’t want to pull up to a red light and run door to door with a base model even though they paid a premium for a stick on spoiler and a badge? There are reasonable expectations customers would have for a Tesla with a Plaid badge…it’s up to Tesla to figure out what that is and if it would satisfy their customers for the price differential.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: gearchruncher
Because none of those are even remotely close to a c63s or e63s in terms of power etc. Mercedes never made the cla45 even remotely comparable to their flagships

huh? You're proving the point yourself. There's a C45 AMG that is SLOWER than a C63s AMG which is SLOWER than an E63s AMG...and the CLA AMG doesn't cannibalize the E AMG sales

Hence (for example) a $60k Model 3 Plaid with 600hp won't cannibalize a $90k Model S Plaid with 1000hp

Reactions: JezzaE