Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what’s with the hostility. Guess you can’t help yourself either.

In any case, referring to this earlier post of his.
I know what you were referring to. He said he wished the m3p had a hatch like they i4. He didn’t invite anyone (you) to comment on the weight of the i4 which had absolutely nothing to do with what he said. You might as well have responded to his comment by saying the sky is blue. Both would be equally irrelevant.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kevy Baby
Should be in the 2.5 - 2.7 range, especially if it's indeed equiped with the 5D1 motor. I believe Tesla is looking to make the quickest overall car in each segment.
S Plaid - quickest large sedan
X Plaid - quickest large SUV
3 Ludicrous - quickest mid sized sedan

I also think they plan to make all Plaid/Ludicrous vehicles quicker than all SR/LR variants, so the 3 Ludicrous will likely be quicker than even the S LR.

Is there any evidence that the battery is the limiting factor? I keep hearing this but no one ever supplies a source.
Pretty bullish. Guess we will see.

I know what you were referring to. He said he wished the m3p had a hatch. He didn’t invite anyone to comment on the weight of the i4 which had absolutely nothing to do with what he said. You might as well have responded to his comment by saying the sky is blue. Both would be equally irrelevant to what he said.
Maybe you should take that stick out of your ass. You might feel better. How is offering an alternative not relevant? Fact is model 3 does not have a hatch and isn’t getting one any time soon. Point is if he wants a hatch and something with better dynamics than the i4, the S is a decent alternative. Certainly a better alternative than the Y which was mentioned which is an absolute turd of a car from a driving perspective.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Pages 1-80 of this thread featured so much excitement and educated speculation and technological insight. I credit so many of you users for enlightening me on specifics of how much performance my own M3P boasts, how different motors work, and what could be possible with this next generation that we are all eager to see. But the hostility of this clerks guy is making me check in less and less and is clearly steering the conversation towards unconstructive - to put it nicely. Is there any moderation that can be done or can we all agree to ignore them? There’s differing opinions on a given topic and then there’s just picking fights..

The average person can't tell a LR from a Plaid at all, or even a 2016 Model S 60 from a Plaid. It's weird to me that it's unacceptable if a quick Model 3 doesn't look "special" but seeing a Model S is like seeing a Porsche.

Maybe it's just that where I live there are 3 Model S's in about 30 homes, and zero Porsches (much less actually hypercar fast Porsches).

I can't imagine if you put a picture of a 4 door model Model S, a GT3 RS, and a Ferrari FF90 up in front of people with zero knowledge the S was fastest that they woud pick the S as the fastest car, so I fail to see what details about the S makes it fit this mold while the Model 3 doesn't. Their design language is so similar that some people can't even tell them apart at a distance.

One of these things is not like the other:
View attachment 1022333View attachment 1022335
I do tend to think the model S has more presence than the 3, and I certainly get a lot more comments on the S than I ever did in the 3.

But a GT3 it is not lol

Reactions: arkhos and Lolo780
Pages 1-80 of this thread featured so much excitement and educated speculation and technological insight. I credit so many of you users for enlightening me on specifics of how much performance my own M3P boasts, how different motors work, and what could be possible with this next generation that we are all eager to see. But the hostility of this clerks guy is making me check in less and less and is clearly steering the conversation towards unconstructive - to put it nicely. Is there any moderation that can be done or can we all agree to ignore them? There’s differing opinions on a given topic and then there’s just picking fights..
Wait till you see pages 100-200. Will the Model 3 Ludicrous launch before this thread reaches 200 pages? Stay tuned to find out 😆

1000071392.jpg

And here's two American asses with their Italian buddy born a couple wheels short.

So what's a realistic 0 to 60 MPH for this car with the existing battery pack and why slap a ludicrous badge on the back if there's not reasonable improvement in acceleration.
My guess is 2.9s 0-60 (no rollout) and 10.9s 1/4 mile without preconditioning. That way the media can publish a 2 and 10 number legitimately. Mph wise I'd guess G80 M3 speed, maybe 123mph.

1/8th mile 6.9s @ 100mph, 60ft 1.69s.
I agree with Lolo, it'll run those numbers, but with preconditioning. Just like the old S's, Ludicrous mode will simply heat the battery and perhaps allow a bit more power for a few seconds. Unless there is a significant motor change, it'll fall on its face at higher speeds just like the S's.

Maybe you should take that stick out of your ass. You might feel better. How is offering an alternative not relevant? Fact is model 3 does not have a hatch and isn’t getting one any time soon. Point is if he wants a hatch and something with better dynamics than the i4, the S is a decent alternative. Certainly a better alternative than the Y which was mentioned which is an absolute turd of a car from a driving perspective.
Yep im not dying on that hill or anything. Maybe comparing to the i4 was triggering and should have said Polestar 2? Trunk based car sales in general are dwindling. I think this was/is Lucid's primary error with the Air.

I have been close to getting an S several times, its just way more car (size wise) than I need. I have an iX as for me it was a better option than the Model X and I wanted a SUV/CUV/Wagon hatch for utility reasons. Looking for a second car and a M3P ish with a hatch would just be great.

Every magazine uses 1 foot rollout now so why should everyone else use something different? I agree that it is a stupid metric but it is the standard so what can you do?
It's not a standard in Europe. They can and no doubt will use it but just saying I'd like a real 0-60 that's under 3 seconds, not a 3-60 or 4-60 or whatever the car is doing after 1 foot.

Reactions: MarkoP and Ultimos
It's not a standard in Europe. They can and no doubt will use it but just saying I'd like a real 0-60 that's under 3 seconds, not a 3-60 or 4-60 or whatever the car is doing after 1 foot.
5-60 is also an interesting number. Without launch control turbo cars are sitting ducks at stoplights.

From C&D: 503-hp twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six. With launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi, the quickest-ever 3-series leaps to 30 mph in 1.0 second. The scoot to 60 mph takes 2.8 seconds, and the quarter-mile passes in 11.0 seconds at 124 mph.

Reactions: Lindenwood
5-60 is also an interesting number. Without launch control turbo cars are sitting ducks at stoplights.

From C&D: 503-hp twin-turbo 3.0-liter inline-six. With launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi, the quickest-ever 3-series leaps to 30 mph in 1.0 second. The scoot to 60 mph takes 2.8 seconds, and the quarter-mile passes in 11.0 seconds at 124 mph.
I think this is why some of CarWow's tests are also good. The rolling races but without being in the right gear on an ICE. You aren't always going to be in the perfect gear and rpm to do a hard pull.

And as you say, other than a drag race. No one is using launch control either. EV's have such an advantage here where you can just mash the pedal and go.

Every magazine uses 1 foot rollout now so why should everyone else use something different? I agree that it is a stupid metric but it is the standard so what can you do?
I don't really give a crap about magazine numbers. No other manufacturer subtracts rollout. Tesla only does so on their performance models to make their numbers sound better. Just like they exaggerate everything else.

Reactions: MarkoP and Ultimos
I don't really give a crap about magazine numbers. No other manufacturer subtracts rollout.

Of course they do. Mostly the domestic ones though.

Corvette does-
Click on the icon next to the 2.9 0-60 time- it'll bring up a box saying "Based on initial vehicle movement" which means... rollout.

Camaro does-
Same deal (though it's 3.5 instead of 2.9)

Ford appears to use it too though doesn't include a disclaimer- some threads from Mach E forums discussing the fact Fords official #s only ever work out if they're with rollout-

Dodge actually stirred a lot of controversy over this as physics even told us they were using rollout but didn't seem to change their wording to admit it until it became a thing:

Tesla only does so on their performance models to make their numbers sound better. Just like they exaggerate everything else.

Yeah, that's the thing... everyone else either uses it on all trims of a vehicle (all US car makers BUT Tesla).... or doesn't use it on any/ trim of a vehicle (most german car makers for example).

Tesla is the only one deceptive enough to use 2 different measurement methods on the SAME model depending on the trim to artificially make one version look faster than it really is compared to the others.