Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll gladly give up a couple of seconds and bragging rights to keep 5 seats and the practicality that comes along with a Plaid (or a Sapphire).

I don’t hate the Taycan/GT at all - I just find the Weissach edition to be pointless other than for bragging rights.

(Just like most of the rest of the Weissach editions…but “fools and their money”, after all)
But isn't that the beauty of competition is that it gives us all choice. Also if no one bothered to try and beat Tesla, what incentive do they have to make something faster?

Elon will be on X saying "Actually there is something faster than Plaid, introducing the Model S FTL" ;)

Reactions: gearchruncher
I’ll gladly give up a couple of seconds and bragging rights to keep 5 seats and the practicality that comes along with a Plaid (or a Sapphire).
The thing is, we don't really know how much time came from the Weissach package. For all we know, of the 18 seconds on the ring, 16 of those come from the other changes to the car which you can get without giving up the rear seat. 157 lbs of weight savings on a 5K lb car did not take 18 seconds off.

You can't tell me you think most of the time reduction came from:
Despite being a five-figure option on Porsche’s other GT cars, the Taycan Turbo GT’s Weissach package is a no-cost option that saves up to 157 pounds, raises the top speed from 180 mph to 190 mph, and improves the car’s aerodynamics. A large fixed rear wing replaces the active spoiler, and the Weissach pack also adds a different front diffuser and underbody air deflectors. Porsche says total downforce is up to 485 pounds.

Carbon-fiber b-pillar trim, side mirror caps, side skirts and other parts help reduce weight with the Weissach package. There’s a lightweight luggage compartment, less insulation, no more power trunk, and the floor mats, trunk mats, and Sport Chrono pack’s analog clock are chucked out. Weissach cars also only have a charging port on the passenger side. A Sound Package Plus gets read of the rear speakers, too.

The biggest change with the Weissach package is that it deletes the Taycan’s rear seat, replacing it with “a tailor-made, high-quality lightweight carbon fiber cladding with a storage compartment.” That means the Turbo GT is the first time Porsche has offered a four-door model with a rear-seat delete, and it’s in extremely limited company — the only other recent examples I can think of are the Toyota GR Corolla and Jaguar XE SV Project 8. Otherwise the interior isn’t too different.
And not:
The motor at the rear axle is new and more powerful, as is the pulse inverter that controls it. The new inverters have a 900-amp maximum current, 300 amps up from the one in a Turbo S, and more efficient silicon carbide as the semiconductor material. Porsche also improved “the robustness of the gearbox” and tweaked the two-speed transmission’s ratios.

Just like most of the rest of the Weissach editions…but “fools and their money”, after all
Yep, except when you're on the track and they are setting lap times you can't come anywhere near to touching. There are people that actually do use it for sure on the GT cars, and it does work.

I mean, people could say the same thing about Plaid... And especially the Plaid track package. "it's only there for bragging rights". How many people have actually bought the Plaid Track pack and used that to actually go fast on a track instead of aftermarket brakes, wheels, and tires? It was specifically designed to get bragging rights on the Nürburgring, with tires that aren't even street legal in Germany. As for a Plaid in general, who needs 0-60 in 2 seconds on the street except it's for bragging rights? Why does Tesla quote 1.99* seconds 0-60 with a big ol' asterisk if not for bragging rights?

You're annoyed at Porsche for making fast street cars without a logical purpose when we all like fast cars without a logical purpose, in a thread about us all hoping Tesla makes their current illogical car less logical, and nobody is accusing Porsche for just making 718 GT4's for bragging rights when they could be making more practical cars with 4 seats.

We're all here for the bragging rights. Embrace it.

Last edited:
Maybe it's 3.2 without rollout? How would that compare to 3.1 with rollout?
100% stock Model 3 Performance with 20” UberHeavy wheels.

IMG_2931.png

These figures are not for the Ludicrous model. It’s a leftover from the previous “Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive. As has been quoted It’s not even related to Ludicrous in the source code, so that's why they’re coming up with that.
Previous performance? The old model was labeled 315 miles range and 3.1 0-60 it’s not the old model

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Yea it is, It's called rollout. Anyway if this car starts in the 3's for 0 to 60 I'd say Tesla will ask for additional $$ to unlock a Ludicrous/Ludicrous+ mode. Over the years we've had Insane mode, Ludicrous mode, Ludicrous + etc.. all marketed as an enticement to experience an increased 0 to 60MPH time. Now this new car has a Ludicrous badge on the back so a similar 0 to 60MPH as the previous model, yea i don't think.

Last edited:
I guess the most relevant thing right now is when are they going to actually announce it and when will it actually ship?

Pure speculation but my gut tells me the announcement will be this Thursday. However, I am afraid the actual cars won’t ship until later in the year.
They'll ship it the week before I'm finally able to configure my Roadster. I'll get my Jan-Mar cybertruck VIN the week before that.

…the Plaid track…

We're all here for the bragging rights. Embrace it.
The critical difference, which you’re conveniently/intentionally ignoring, is that unlike the Weissach package, the Plaid’s Track Package doesn’t compromise the daily-driver utility of the car.

And nope, I’m here for the daily driver performance.

You do you - I’ll do me.

Reactions: Arthur31
All of this "desperation" leads to a 4 door sedan that crushes all other EV's, and runs almost as fast as the very fastest street cars ever made (and faster than most race cars too). I mean, this thing beats a non-street legal stripped Plaid with one seat that has massive aero and race tires around Laguna Seca and this thing can just be bought from Porsche with a warranty. That doesn't sound "desperate" - that sounds like Porsche being Porsche and making cars their performance focused owners want, and what they have done forever.

Not to pick nits here, but it didn't beat the 'Dark Helmet' plaid. That car holds the EV record still at 1:26.7 (ridiculous aero and all).

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and Zcd1
Not to pick nits here, but it didn't beat the 'Dark Helmet' plaid. That car holds the EV record still at 1:26.7 (ridiculous aero and all).
I guess I missed that when I searched. I found the 1:28.2 time which was with aero that could actually be driven on the street.

But this shows just how stupid fast the Taycan is.
A Plaid needed to take out all but one seat, replace the brakes, run complete slick race tires, and run enough downforce to pull 2.5 Gs in the corner, including a three foot long front aero dam.
It ran a 1:26.7, looking like this:

1710217972270.png

Meanwhile a Taycan with OEM street legal tires, OEM brakes, a warranty, a passenger seat, and full street legal bodywork.
It ran a 1:27.87.
1.2 seconds slower than a full, insane race car. Looking like this:
1710218037351.png

But yeah, it's "desperate" because it has no rear seat.

I guess I missed that when I searched. I found the 1:28.2 time which was with aero that could actually be driven on the street.

But this shows just how stupid fast the Taycan is.
A Plaid needed to take out all but one seat, replace the brakes, run complete slick race tires, and run enough downforce to pull 2.5 Gs in the corner, including a three foot long front aero dam.
It ran a 1:26.7, looking like this:

View attachment 1026958

Meanwhile a Taycan with OEM street legal tires, OEM brakes, a warranty, a passenger seat, and full street legal bodywork.
It ran a 1:27.87.
1.2 seconds slower than a full, insane race car. Looking like this:
View attachment 1026959

But yeah, it's "desperate" because it has no rear seat.
I'd like to see Kern drive both cars on the same day. No disrespect to Randy Pobst, but he could be Kern's grand daddy.

Love the infinity wings on the Plaid.

Do you guys realize that Laguna Seca has many corners repaved or not? Comparing the old lap times with the new ones is a joke.
Sapphire and plaid can easily best taycans time without removing the back seats. Taycan sits on a bad platform chassis & drivetrain wise, it is overweight, slow and expensive, that is the truth unfortunately.
Uh. 7:07 vs 7:25. They did something right on the Taycan gt.