Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it is complete marketing BS!

I've made a statement about this in German here:

And a lenghty discussion here:
@eivissa I get what you are saying about this because it seems impossible. +32% Peak Power would mean going from 362 rear motor HP in the US to 478 HP. That just doesn't sound possible especially if the 0-60 mph is barely any better. However, that was the official Tesla Twitter account posting that. There are laws here in the US that protect consumers against misleading statements like that.

The Mazda RX-8 was famous because Mazda overstated the HP figure for that car. They had to essentially compensate people for their false advertising. There is more to those statements on the Tesla Twitter account. I don't believe that 510 HP figure at all. The old car made more than that to the wheels. I really want to see the Canbus data for this new car. If it has the same battery it should be similar but I have a feeling there is something Tesla isn't telling us.

That Jason Camissa video was eye opening. He knows cars as well as anyone. If he was that impressed with the high speed acceleration then it must be drastically improved. He is not one to be easily impressed especially by EVs.

I ordered a Model 3 Performance today so hopefully I can collect a bunch of data for it and compare old vs. new. I really think there is way more to this story than we realize. This car is not fully defined yet.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised how much whining and complaining there is here about the new Model 3 Performance. The new one, according to the early reports of those who have driven them, is faster, better handling, better braking, better riding, and has better seats. The acceleration also isn't supposed to fall off as much at higher speeds as the old M3P, plus it has all the Highland improvements like quieter, better fit and finish, ventilated seats, rear display, etc. And Tesla is selling it for the same price as the old M3P. Here in America, with the $7,500 federal tax credit, that puts it at $45,490. Is there any other new car that comes close to the new M3P's performance for that kind of money? I don't think so.

19” didn’t fit on the prior M3P either without spacers I don’t think either, so something is different bc they are going to offer 19” at some point
Almost all 19" wheels fit over stock M3P brakes. Even plenty of 18" options did as well. Only select 18" with deeper drop centers didn't clear the rear brake calipers radially.

-Danny

I wonder if there will be any after market wheel covers. The stock wheels on the highland M3P are not pretty.
I think they look great without the aero bits.

Reactions: Firocity
Do I understand correctly that since the Performance cars made in Shanghai will use LFP NCM batteries that it would be alright to charge to 100%?

Would be a small consolidation for the reduced performance compared to the Fremont built ones.

Last edited:
Do I understand correctly that since the Performance cars made in Shanghai will use LFP batteries that it would be alright to charge to 100%?

Would be a small consolidation for the reduced performance compared to the Fremont built ones.
Performance models use NCM from LG Chem in China. LFP isn't energy dense enough for the Performance models. US just gets better batteries overall.

I think they look great without the aero bits.

In the Autotrader review he popped off one of the aero covers and the wheel has provisions cast into it to clip on the cover unfortunately. If someone were to make a mini aero cover just big enough to cover those then that might look good.