Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t mind waiting a little, it is almost certain that Tesla will bring back the 1-time free FSD transfer to any new vehicle purchase.
I think they have already done this on two separate occasions, when sales have been a little slow. Not likely to happen in the immediate future, since sale volumes are typically good/high during spring & summer. Much better chance towards year end and/or early next year.

I had considered waiting for the FSD transfer offer to return, but decided it is simply not worth delaying the excitement/enjoyment of having & driving this new/refreshed M3P. Honestly, the only thing I will really miss about not having FSD is being able to display the visualizations full screen. In the almost 5 years of ownership, that is only exclusive feature of FSD that I have used on a daily basis.

As others have stated, it makes much better financial sense to simply subscribe to FSD… even on a long term basis (6-1/2 years).

I'm like you, not worth delaying the excitement/enjoyment of having & driving this new/refreshed M3P.

I'll probably end up not purchasing FSD and do a subscription. I use FSD every time I drive my car

Reactions: GreenHokie
The Model 3 Performance qualifies for the tax credit because of the 2170 battery cells, and it's the only Model 3 that does. The Standard Range and Long Range models both use Tesla's LFP packs which do not qualify for the tax credit.

Standard range is the only one that uses LFP. The long-range uses China sourced NCM LG-chem packs. Nevada can't make enough Panasonic packs to supply all Model 3s. Most of them go to the Model Y and only a limited supply are there for the Model 3 Performance.

Do you know how hard it is to get an extra .1 sec when the times are that low already?
It's extremely easy when the car will already dead hook. Throw a bit quicker torque ramp in there and you're done. The only thing different about the new car powertrain-wise is the larger inverter on the same old rear motor. It's going to throw more power at it while possible, and the then motor will follow the same old power curve it always has, just at a slightly elevated level. I watched the video reviews on YouTube, and no one is raving about top-end pull. It is mentioned as better than the previous version, but just look at the graphs on the last couple pages, still falls right on its face after peak torque. The car is still an awesome performance bargain for what it is, but for those unsatisfied with the power of the previous generation, this car is merely a baby step forward.

Hey Danny, I would like to maybe get rid of the staggered setup and go down to 19"s. Can you research that? Thank you. I've bought from you before and love your site.
Of course! I do this all day long for current M3P and MYP clients already haha.

We'll most likely be doing a forged OEM+ 20" setup that utilizes the factory tires, and a square 19" setup for autocross and track duties. Stay tuned.

-Danny

Since this has adaptive suspension, this means the options to lower the suspension will be limited to just springs, correct? Until a manufacturer develops electronic dampers for it?
Ride height is fixed, yes. We'll have to see how the damping compare to a good aftermarket replacement kit with adjustable spring platforms.

Reactions: superflyrolla
Since this has adaptive suspension, this means the options to lower the suspension will be limited to just springs, correct? Until a manufacturer develops electronic dampers for it?
Height Adjustable Springs (HAS) may be popular for this platform. Just like BMW guys who don't want to go through the hassle of defeating EDC.
You already know this will be one of the first components we will be addressing.

-Danny

Is it just me or did they remove the tax credit for leases?
They did remove the text that says they give you the discount. There is some price reduction still baked in but the lease terms are not great. If you qualify for the full tax credit then the best thing to do is to purchase this car with cash. Otherwise a lower interest loan is still probably better than the lease.

If you don't qualify for the tax credit at all then the lease is slightly better than the loan offer they are giving. If you are paying with cash then that probably beats the lease.

Reactions: MODEL+
It's extremely easy when the car will already dead hook. Throw a bit quicker torque ramp in there and you're done. The only thing different about the new car powertrain-wise is the larger inverter on the same old rear motor. It's going to throw more power at it while possible, and the then motor will follow the same old power curve it always has, just at a slightly elevated level. I watched the video reviews on YouTube, and no one is raving about top-end pull. It is mentioned as better than the previous version, but just look at the graphs on the last couple pages, still falls right on its face after peak torque. The car is still an awesome performance bargain for what it is, but for those unsatisfied with the power of the previous generation, this car is merely a baby step forward.
At least for the US cars the rear motor is different than the one used in previous Model 3 Performance cars.

The sum of combined power can not be above the battery limit (obviously). So, as I mention, part of the increase comes from taking away front power, which I've accounted for in my projections as well. So this chart is actually misleading in several ways, as you also point out.

The combination of more peak torque down low and a rear motor that can take excess power from the front, when that one drops off hard at speed, will give an overall good sensation of a faster car at all speed. I mean it will be a faster car at all these speeds. If the US car was offered in Europe, I'd sell my current 2022 M3P right now. So, anyone who ordered in the states. Good for you!

This is my tweet which includes the source and an improved picture:

View attachment 1041214
The graph above shows a car that is significantly quicker 0-60 mph than the old Model 3 Performance and MASSIVELY quicker 60-130 mph than the older car. There is just no way around it. You can't have a flat torque increase that significant and barely improve the 0-60 mph. Judging by that graph this would appear to be WAY quicker than a 2.9 0-60 mph with rollout subtracted car. You just can't have an increase like that and then barely have any improvement in acceleration at all.

One thing that a lot of people are missing is that Tesla has stated power and torque percent increases for the rear motor only. When looking at combined front and rear motor graphs like this you can't assume that the combination of front and rear power or torque has the same percentage increase. For example, they could increase the power of the rear motor 32% but decrease the power of the front motor by the same amount at the same vehicle speed and the net power gain would be zero.

However, that is not what this graph shows. This graph clearly shows a car that has more power at every speed than the previous car. If this graph is true then the battery is providing more power than it did in the previous car when at max power requested. They may not have changed the battery but this graph indicates they found a way to extract more power out of the same battery.