Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So do you think he pulled a true 2.9 (no rollout) WITH a passenger? That seems hard to believe considering Tesla's 2.9 with rollout, without a passenger
I am not sure exactly what times he got. I asked him that in the comments of his video but he didn't respond. My belief is that this car can actually do a real 2.90 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and without a passenger. A 16% increase in rear motor torque is a 12% overall increase in torque up to about 40 mph. A 12% increase in torque to 40 mph would easily get you down from 3.23 deep into the 2.9s or perhaps even better.

Reactions: wook
He said "Tesla claims 2.90"..... "I averaged 2.90 with a passenger and 88% SOC" ..... "So I'm going to call that verified". His point was that it absolutely can do what Tesla is claiming if not even better than that.

I also find it extremely interesting how he describes the launch of the new car. He says "I flat footed it and Holy Sh!t! You get a CRACK through the whole chassis because of how violently it engages those motors". He is describing something the old car definitely doesn't do. That "CRACK" part he is describing is "Jerk"(Rate of change of acceleration. The derivative of acceleration). That is definitely something the old car didn't have and something that will benefit the 60' time greatly.
I drove an early 3P that did that due to rear bushings being shot... hopefully the comfort tuning on the new chassis doesn't compromise durability.

I am not sure exactly what times he got. I asked him that in the comments of his video but he didn't respond. My belief is that this car can actually do a real 2.90 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and without a passenger. A 16% increase in rear motor torque is a 12% overall increase in torque up to about 40 mph. A 12% increase in torque to 40 mph would easily get you down from 3.23 deep into the 2.9s or perhaps even better.

The website says the 0-60 includes rollout. But maybe real world performance is better than advertised and Cammisa averaged 2.9 without?

Doesn’t dragy give you both times with and without. I don’t know.. seems likely for Tesla to advertise their best number and for the performance improvements to be evident at higher speeds.

It's definitely more Tesla's style to give the best case scenario numbers, but maybe they're sandbagging the US car numbers a little bit since the ROW one makes less power. We'll just have to wait for more comprehensive reviews and for people to start actually getting the car.
This is definatly possible. The US spec car will do better, the ROW will do about the claim or slightly better

Can't be too long until we get some real data

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The website says the 0-60 includes rollout. But maybe real world performance is better than advertised and Cammisa averaged 2.9 without?

Doesn’t dragy give you both times with and without. I don’t know.. seems likely for Tesla to advertise their best number and for the performance improvements to be evident at higher speeds.
I believe Tesla is playing it safe with this particular car. I think they don't want any doubt at all whether it can achieve the stated specs or not. Dragy gives you both times but Camissa never stated which time he was referring to.

It's definitely more Tesla's style to give the best case scenario numbers, but maybe they're sandbagging the US car numbers a little bit since the ROW one makes less power. We'll just have to wait for more comprehensive reviews and for people to start actually getting the car.
Didn’t they sandbag the old M3P numbers though? 3.1 seconds with rollout advertised and I thought people were getting 3.0-3.1 without rollout in real world

So this car would not be a good daily driver though it would have a better ride the long range and better seats. Due to the tires, which would last...........what? 40K miles?
It’s not the tires (but they are summer tires that probably won’t last awhile), it’s the staggered rim size setup. The front tires may get 40k but def not the rears. The rear tires will be shot long before the fronts bc you can’t rotate them (except side to side) and all the power and torque comes from the rear. You will go through 2 sets of rears for every 1 set of fronts likely.

I plan on getting a square 19” setup with all season tires.

Reactions: JezzaE and mpgxsvcd
Didn’t they sandbag the old M3P numbers though? 3.1 seconds with rollout advertised and I thought people were getting 3.0-3.1 without rollout in real world
Plenty of people get 3.0 seconds with rollout subtracted even in 100% stock Model 3 Performance cars. That is a 3.2-3.3 0-60 mph without rollout subtracted. If the car is truly 100% stock then it would be really difficult to go much quicker than about 3.15 without subtracting rollout.

Cammisa got 3.04 average both directions with 1 passenger at 88% SOC. He did an average because there was a slight slope.

• Informative
Reactions: terranx
It’s not the tires (but they are summer tires that probably won’t last awhile), it’s the staggered rim size setup. The front tires may get 40k but def not the rears. The rear tires will be shot long before the fronts bc you can’t rotate them (except side to side) and all the power and torque comes from the rear. You will go through 2 sets of rears for every 1 set of fronts likely.

I plan on getting a square 19” setup with all season tires.
And the only way to rotate the tire is to take the tire off the rim, turn it around, and reinstall thus adding more scratches to the rim..........Alrighty then. That answers my questions.

Only true if they’re directional. I believe the pirellis in question are asymmetric, so you should be able to swap the wheels side to side.

Minimal benefit to that though. Rears will wear out faster due to the rear motors now being significantly more powerful. Main benefit of rotating is front to back to even out the wear. I bet I can wear those suckers out in 10k miles 😁