Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any issue with +35 offset rims vs the stock +45 offset rims in the rear? That’s a 10mm difference so will they appear more sunk in? The fronts are +34 offset stock so no issue there. Thinking of a square setup obviously but there will always be a difference between front and back it seems.

I was going to say, I track my Plaid as well and it is extremely capable. I'm going to guess that the people who say it feels like a boat have never put in any suspension mode other that Comfort or Sport.
I used to do lapping in a S P85, P85D => P85D upgraded, and finally P100D. I understand the boat comparison, but what killed it for me was the battery overheating. The cooling improved substantially with the introduction of the M3P. Additionally, mitigating the nannies and having some other knobs in Track Mode has been a noteworthy improvement. Lastly there's the general feeling (due to weight and overall size) that the 3 is more "tiptoeing" rather than "plodding" around the road courses. (Poor description but maybe you get the idea.)

Perhaps it's been improved for the S since 2018 (with Plaid, Track Pack, etc.) but I've enjoyed the 3 quite a bit.

By now I had hoped to buy a 3-4 year old "2020" Roadster but it looks like that's something to schedule for 2050. I might have to outlive Elon to see any actually delivered.

Reactions: duncanduncan
If you want an automatic transmission, get the Alfa. If you want a manual, get the Lotus. Those are the only transmissions each car comes with. For me, it was an easy choice.
I would have probably bought a new-generation Giulia back before my first Tesla in 2017, if it had been offered in the USA with a manual.

edit: Lotus was never on my radar because I'm a large guy.

IMG_6992.jpeg

Thanks. I really wonder if 275 width tires are necessary to put down the power. I was thinking of going 265/35 on 19x9.5 squared eventually, but not at the expense of traction.
I am going to 235 squared so that will definitely tell us if it needs the extra width for straight-line acceleration. Honestly, I think it might just simply be that people expect a performance car to have a staggered setup so that is what they did. I am going to test it with regular street surfaces but with track prep I can't imagine that it really needs the 275 width. That glue is so incredibly sticky.

I am going to 235 squared so that will definitely tell us if it needs the extra width for straight-line acceleration. Honestly, I think it might just simply be that people expect a performance car to have a staggered setup so that is what they did. I am going to test it with regular street surfaces but with track prep I can't imagine that it really needs the 275 width. That glue is so incredibly sticky.
Going 235/40R19 +35 offset myself. I don’t care if it doesn’t get 2.9 0-60 or 11 second 1/4 mile. I won’t be tracking it and I’ll be faster than anyone on the road. Better efficiency, ride comfort, and pothole rim damage avoidance.

For ref here’s the difference between that and the stock staggered setup:

IMG_6986.jpeg

IMG_6987.jpeg

Reactions: mpgxsvcd