Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh okay it sounded like you had a bad experience with one.
I had a great experience with the one Plaid I rode in at the track. Scared the pi$$ out of me but I loved every 9 seconds of it. I just don't want to buy one because it doesn't fit my lifestyle needs. I have an EXTREMELY small 1 car garage in the city. Model 3 will barely fit in there. Model S just wouldn't. I also don't want to pay over $60K for the car especially a used one.

I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Plaid. In fact I would encourage them to do it and probably ask for a ride in it. I just don't want to own one for myself. It just isn't the type of car I want. Just like I recommend the Model Y to every family I meet that wants to get into a great but inexpensive EV. I would never buy one for myself though. I think they are hideous looking.

I had a great experience with the one Plaid I rode in at the track. Scared the pi$$ out of me but I loved every 9 seconds of it. I just don't want to buy one because it doesn't fit my lifestyle needs. I have an EXTREMELY small 1 car garage in the city. Model 3 will barely fit in there. Model S just wouldn't. I also don't want to pay over $60K for the car especially a used one.

I wouldn't fault anyone for buying a Plaid. In fact I would encourage them to do it and probably ask for a ride in it. I just don't want to own one for myself. It just isn't the type of car I want. Just like I recommend the Model Y to every family I meet that wants to get into a great but inexpensive EV. I would never buy one for myself though. I think they are hideous looking.
To each their own, I think the Y is the next best looking Tesla after the S. The new 3 to me looks fine but blends in way too much, may as well be a Kia Forte (looks wise).

To each their own, I think the Y is the next best looking Tesla after the S. The new 3 to me looks fine but blends in way too much, may as well be a Kia Forte (looks wise).
Ironic bc I think the Y is an awful looking car on its face 😂 really fun to drive and comfortable, but looks like bloated egg to me lol. Plus everyone drives a Y now so it’s a dime a dozen. The new M3P stands out to me personally.

Ironic bc I think the Y is an awful looking car on its face 😂 really fun to drive and comfortable, but looks like bloated egg to me lol. Plus everyone drives a Y now so it’s a dime a dozen. The new M3P stands out to me personally.
Until everyone now drives an M3P due to the steal of the deal pricing. 😉

Eveyone does realize M3 rwd is now the Honda civic of EV’s right? Mass market EV. Hate to break the news but Teslas no longer truly stand out anymore in larger Urban cities. S 3 X Y has now become common lol.

I ordered a new M3P so I’m one to talk lol. But what we seem to all go gaga over externally is headlights that look like every other car today, a front bumper with side vents (welcome to 2018-2023 standard bumper type which they took away
for Highland and then in a pure light bulb moment…sheer brilliance ..brought the same thing back without foglights for a new P and it’s a whole ‘new’ bumper lol 🤦🏻‍♂️) a CF spoiler (same as 2018-2023) and ok yes a nicer diffuser and a $10 perf badge.

I get the power being 2.85-3.1 whatever it is and a better 1/4 mile by .5 seconds…but this car won’t stand out as a boutique one off :). Is she pretty to look at? Yes. Fast? Yes. Available to a crap tonne of buyers with a credit? Yep.

…didn’t say I didn’t want one !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292
Until everyone now drives an M3P due to the steal of the deal pricing. 😉

Eveyone does realize M3 rwd is now the Honda civic of EV’s right? Mass market EV. Hate to break the news but Teslas no longer truly stand out anymore in larger Urban cities. S 3 X Y has now become common lol.

I ordered a new M3P so I’m one to talk lol. But what we seem to all go gaga over externally is headlights that look like every other car today, a front bumper with side vents (welcome to 2018-2023 standard bumper type which they took away
for Highland and then brilliantly brought the same thing back for a new P 🤦🏽‍♂️) a CF spoiler (same 2018-2023) and ok yes a nicer diffuser and a $10 perf badge.

I get the power being 2.85-3.1 whatever it is and a better 1/4 mile by .5 seconds…but this car won’t stand out as a boutique one off :) is she pretty to look at? Yes. Fast? Yes. Available to a crap tonne of buyers with a credit? Yep.

…didn’t say I didn’t want one !!
I live in Sourh Carolina so there aren’t nearly as many Teslas (or EVs) around as like California or New York. There are definitely Model 3s and Model Ys around for sure, but I’ve seen probably only two or three Plaids in 3 years anywhere around here. I haven’t seen one Highland Model 3 yet around me either. I figured I would have by now.

I think a lot of people bought new cars with low interest rates in the prior 2-3 years and a lot of them were Tesla’s bc it was a cool new thing and Tesla actually had inventory of cars available. So I’m thinking I’ll see less now at least in the near future especially being in SC.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I live in Sourh Carolina so there aren’t nearly as many Teslas (or EVs) around as like California or New York. There are definitely Model 3s and Model Ys around for sure, but I’ve seen probably only two or three Plaids in 3 years anywhere around here. I haven’t seen one Highland Model 3 yet around me either. I figured I would have by now.

I think a lot of people bought new cars with low interest rates in the prior 2-3 years and a lot of them were Tesla’s bc it was a cool new thing and Tesla actually had inventory of cars available. So I’m thinking I’ll see less now at least in the near future especially being in SC.
Yeah I’m in eastern PA and while I see plenty of Teslas, it’s not a huge number by any means. There are a couple other Plaids in my work parking lot, but otherwise I don’t see any around.

I’ve only seen one highland so far, and that was broken down on the side of a road getting put onto a tow truck. Most of the 3s/Ys I see otherwise appear to be 2022 or earlier models (based on the USS being present)

I did see a cybertruck the other day which was surprising.

This is how much roll my Plaid with MPP solid bushings takes on 285 RE-71RS 200TW AutoX tires.

View attachment 1052625
I was going to say, I track my Plaid as well and it is extremely capable. I'm going to guess that the people who say it feels like a boat have never put in any suspension mode other that Comfort or Sport. Advanced and track mode are where it's at, especially track mode with torque vectoring. I get that the S is about 900 pounds heavier and a foot longer than a 3, but with double the power and the suspension tech that it has, it is an incredibly capable car compared to the 3.

I was going to say, I track my Plaid as well and it is extremely capable. I'm going to guess that the people who say it feels like a boat have never put in any suspension mode other that Comfort or Sport. Advanced and track mode are where it's at, especially track mode with torque vectoring. I get that the S is about 900 pounds heavier and a foot longer than a 3, but with double the power and the suspension tech that it has, it is an incredibly capable car compared to the 3.
Yes. But when you’re going 90 it feels like you’re going 20. If you’re looking to crush at the track, plaid all day. Fun on public roads, I’m sticking with the 3p.

I currently have both in my garage.

• Informative
Reactions: Adam3

I'll just chime in to go on record that I've driven the S and commented here that it felt like a boat for daily driving compared to the model 3; I believe I put it on Sport too. Granted, I've never tracked it nor do I have any doubt it would perform remarkably well on the track. I've seen videos of professional drivers (ala hagerty) breaking records with it, so it's an established fact it's one of the most capable cars on the track. I just never pushed it to that extent to know how capable it is; i was basing my opinion in comparison to the model 3 in terms of daily driving.

Reactions: MagnusMako
It's capable, but still not fun. Way less fun than Miata.

I’d say that’s true for the 3 as well, but I get the idea.
For serious fun at not crazy money, I recommend one of these.
1717539574062.png