Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NCA vs NMC, this topic has been demonstrated to death.

Full cycle life-expectancy is about 1000 vs 2000.

Source please. Every article i've read says both NCA and NCM have about 1000-2000 discharge cycles while LFP is much higher than that. Go look at degradation data on US cars using Panasonic vs. European cars using NCM and you won't find a large discrepancy in overall degradation vs. time.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Source please. Every article i've read says both NCA and NCM have about 1000-2000 discharge
it's not really a matter of number of cycles that matters, but calendar aging, and that heavily depends on the SoC and temperature and for that, calendar aging of NMC is lesser than NCA Radware Bot Manager Captcha (though NMC does age much quicker with a SoC of 100% particularly in high ambient temperature).

I recommend you go through the Battery & Charging Model 3: Battery & Charging this one was particularly interesting Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

it's not really a matter of number of cycles that matters, but calendar aging, and that heavily depends on the SoC and temperature and for that, calendar aging of NMC is lesser than NCA Radware Bot Manager Captcha (though NMC does age much quicker with a SoC of 100% particularly in high ambient temperature).

I recommend you go through the Battery & Charging Model 3: Battery & Charging this one was particularly interesting Some new data from research on Tesla model 3 cells

I've read the entire 300+ page thread on battery degradation in the subsection and practically memorized all of Aakee's gospel teachings :D

The most common reference he uses is from the pic below. NCA actually has LESS degradation than NMC at higher temps and similar at lower temps. NMC's only advantage is that their degradation cliff is higher at 60% vs. 55% for NCA. If an enthusiast keeps their battery lower than 55% SoC, you'd likely have less degradation with NCA than NMC everything being equal...especially at higher temps. Nothing i've read says there is any difference in cycle life as you said earlier. Seems Panasonic is just a much better battery overall than the LG chem with similar degradation profiles.

1719611445570.png

Love how dramatic people are. It's faster than the old car in every way with a dozen other improvements, just not quite as good as a 24' pano. . Charging will depend actually, sometimes the pano will be faster, sometimes the lg depending on the circumstances and crossover points.

It is fair to say they probably should or could have had a new battery altogether but remember this is now a 8 year old platform and was originally designed 10 years ago. I suspect it's nearing the end of it's development, and engineering a special pack JUST for 50,000 M3P's a year wouldn't have made financial sense given that ASP's are going the other direction.
I should hope it's a better car overall. It's £60k here in the UK ($76k), for an inferior performing and charging car compared to the US version. Some of us in the UK use our performance cars on track, and at the 'ring etc, and we wanted better top end power and better battery cooling. I've studied the charging curves of the 2019 Panasonic battery against the LG, and I see no advantage of the LG. Tesla are falling behind other cars like the Hyundai Ioniq 5N, which have way superior thermal management etc. And that is disappointing.

I should hope it's a better car overall. It's £60k here in the UK ($76k), for an inferior performing and charging car compared to the US version. Some of us in the UK use our performance cars on track, and at the 'ring etc, and we wanted better top end power and better battery cooling. I've studied the charging curves of the 2019 Panasonic battery against the LG, and I see no advantage of the LG. Tesla are falling behind other cars like the Hyundai Ioniq 5N, which have way superior thermal management etc. And that is disappointing.
Go buy a 5n then? Lol.

Its also more expensive (20% more expensive here in Aus), much heavier, far less efficient, less cargo and interior space despite being a bigger car and even against the LG not any faster 99% of the time, the "winner" will be whoever has more soc/prepared battery.

So yes, the 5n is a good car, but no car is perfect and everything has compromises.

Reactions: Clivew and mpgxsvcd
I've read the entire 300+ page thread on battery degradation in the subsection and practically memorized all of Aakee's gospel teachings :D
I guess I'll be able to tell in 5 years :)

My 2019 was showing 69kWh total capacity at the time I sold it, from 78kWh new. I had been charging the car for the last 2 years at 70%.

The Tesla service battery test gave me 9.2% degradation, but interestingly I got a call from Tesla service once who said it was much higher than that but he couldn't give the exact number, just that it was "lower than 15%".

I'll get back in 5 years and report what this new car got to :)

• Funny
Reactions: Park2670