Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reckon it will use two motors.
I reckon it will have 4 wheels, and the rest will be either worse or better than now.

Actual info from EU launch of Highland configurator here:

The good:
  • ventilated front seats
  • rear passengers 8-inch touchscreen, with rear climate controls
  • trunk space, which is up ever so slightly to 21 cubic feet.

The bad:
  • no more turn signal stalk (must stumble through left-side steering wheel controls) <- this is full-on moronic!
  • no more gear selector stalk (must stumble through touchscreen) <- this will be inconvenient
  • softer suspension
  • marginally more expensive
  • no hardware 4, no new battery pack

The meah:
  • marginal exterior styling changes
  • marginal aerodynamics / range (maybe?) improvements
  • upgraded audio system from 14 to 17 speakers (would have to listen to see if there is any actual difference)
  • customizable interior ambient lighting

It will just have a wider red badge with different lettering.

Oh, I think you might be on to something bigger than your sarcasm suggests. It's obviously not possible to manufacture a red underline long enough to span the new trunk-width lettering so they will have to create a "badge" like they did with the Plaid. And a badged car should certainly be more than just a software-unlocked mid-range model.

I'd bet the price starts at $63K for the first few months but then they're gonna need to get it under the $55K limit pretty quickly so they'll have to keep the cost down by doing something cheap but clever. The new CATL cells will probably allow for higher discharge rates, but that won't be enough to warrant a "badge". If they combine that with a reduced back-EMF rear rotor like the Plaid, now we're talking some kickass 1/4 mile figures.

The Plaid-style rotor design costs nothing extra to design or produce - in theory - it's all the same old magnets and iron. But the trick to its EMF properties is that the iron is segmented which makes it ridiculously fragile and completely unusable without the carbon overwrap. Carbon filament winding is very expensive and might add as much as $15 or even $20 to the cost, making it prohibitive for a $7000 upgrade package, but maybe if they keep the speed limiter at 162mph and cut the range by a few percent, they can get away with a $2 metal sleeve instead?

Throw in a set of foglights and a rear "diffuser" and you've got an unbeatable beast that only cost an additional $2 to produce, yet sells for an extra $7K!

Real world PM3 numbers seem to outdo Teslas oem specs. Many videos on this.

IF… and i mean if Tesla has been slightly limiting the current output of the Perf 3, then it’s possible a ‘ludicrous mode’ remapping/unlocking of power delivery could irk out another .2 to .3 sec off the spec.

3.1 to 2.9/2.8…(2.6/2.7 real world) who knows 🤷🏽‍♂️
That and some tricks with lighter rims than the elephant Uber turbines.

One can hope.

Really hoping for this. I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance and have thought of a Plaid S, but I'd really prefer something smaller and more nimble.

the problem is that the Model 3 just isnt as good of a cruiser car as the S. While the S does feel a bit more landboatish it's not that bad (and not worse than a 7 vs 3 series) but the S has way better noise isolation, more comfortable seats, better driving position, proper dash screen, ability to see music and map etc.

I blame Tesla on this entirely, the 3 has a lot of compromises for no reason. You really gotta appreciate how with i.e. BMW the 1/3/7/8 series largely determines the size of the car and not much else minus each below model getting a new feature a year later.

the problem is that the Model 3 just isnt as good of a cruiser car as the S. While the S does feel a bit more landboatish it's not that bad (and not worse than a 7 vs 3 series) but the S has way better noise isolation, more comfortable seats, better driving position, proper dash screen, ability to see music and map etc.

I blame Tesla on this entirely, the 3 has a lot of compromises for no reason. You really gotta appreciate how with i.e. BMW the 1/3/7/8 series largely determines the size of the car and not much else minus each below model getting a new feature a year later.
No debate the S is a better daily cruiser than the 3 :) But not a better handling vehicle.

I don’t believe this impacts what they will do for a new PM3. Tesla has a Perf version of every one of their S3XY lineup and that won’t change anytime soon given the profit margins on them.

I do agree the 3 does compromise some as Tesla simply took the S and removed out features to come down to the 3 production costs and pricing. In the end you get what you pay for or rather you get what you don’t pay for…nothing new on our money/material system planet 🌎

I’ve had an S and now a 3/Y and while the S is quieter, they are different machines. I prefer the 3 for its nimble and point/shoot steering and body roll. Quite impressive. I’d drive the S for a more comfort drive and longer distances.

Each doesn’t take from the other imo. Different class of car!

Last edited:
I reckon it will have 4 wheels, and the rest will be either worse or better than now.

Actual info from EU launch of Highland configurator here:

The good:
  • ventilated front seats
  • rear passengers 8-inch touchscreen, with rear climate controls
  • trunk space, which is up ever so slightly to 21 cubic feet.

The bad:
  • no more turn signal stalk (must stumble through left-side steering wheel controls) <- this is full-on moronic!
  • no more gear selector stalk (must stumble through touchscreen) <- this will be inconvenient
  • softer suspension
  • marginally more expensive
  • no hardware 4, no new battery pack

The meah:
  • marginal exterior styling changes
  • marginal aerodynamics / range (maybe?) improvements
  • upgraded audio system from 14 to 17 speakers (would have to listen to see if there is any actual difference)
  • customizable interior ambient lighting
There’s no HW4 in these press cars we’ve seen so far?

Reactions: gtg465x
There’s no HW4 in these press cars we’ve seen so far?

Well now we’ve got some people calling HW4 in the Model Y HW3.5 since it includes less memory and storage than HW3 and no radar or front camera. I wonder if it really does have HW4, but people are just saying it doesn’t because it doesn’t match what they had in mind for HW4. As far as I’m concerned, if it has the HW4 self driving computer, it’s HW4, even if there’s no radar and the infotainment memory and storage are downgraded.

Well now we’ve got some people calling HW4 in the Model Y HW3.5 since it includes less memory and storage than HW3 and no radar or front camera. I wonder if it really does have HW4, but people are just saying it doesn’t because it doesn’t match what they had in mind for HW4. As far as I’m concerned, if it has the HW4 self driving computer, it’s HW4, even if there’s no radar and the infotainment memory and storage are downgraded.
Perhaps HW4 lite is a better name than HW3.5 given presumably even if radar, front camera and the infotainment memory/storage is upgraded, it'll still be the same board.

Perhaps HW4 lite is a better name than HW3.5 given presumably even if radar, front camera and the infotainment memory/storage is upgraded, it'll still be the same board.
Technically the infotainment computer is separate from the self driving (HW1/2/2.5/3/4) computer we typically refer to. And we know for sure that Highland has a variant of the Ryzen system found on today's Model 3.

But I would be shocked if the self-driving computer in Highland wasn't HW4, upon release to paying customers.

Reactions: JBT66