Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The challenge with the Model 3 suspension is first, you need skinny overinflated tires for good efficiency. This makes the ride harsh.

Second, you need firm shocks for good efficiency. Just like on a mountain bike, cushy shocks eat energy so they make 'em firm.

Third, the car should be low for good efficiency, handling, and aesthetics, but the battery dictates a very long wheelbase so the result is a car that's very prone to high-centering. The solution is to make the suspension springs wildly progressive by nominally riding on the urethane foam bump stops at all times rather than just hitting them when bottoming out. The result is an odd-feeling response to quick inputs or bumps.
That's my take on the Model 3 suspension too. What confuses a little though is that Model S suffers from the same challenges, actually a little worse, since it has even longer wheelbase. But the S strikes me as having plush, long travel suspension and feels well balanced. To campare apples to apples I am talking about the non air suspension S (discontinued). Thoughts?

That's my take on the Model 3 suspension too. What confuses a little though is that Model S suffers from the same challenges, actually a little worse, since it has even longer wheelbase. But the S strikes me as having plush, long travel suspension and feels well balanced. To campare apples to apples I am talking about the non air suspension S (discontinued). Thoughts?
At least pre-refresh, Model S was considerably less efficient than the model 3.

Interesting

Attachments

• AA74FB0D-3539-474B-B876-6F9560F65547.png
    AA74FB0D-3539-474B-B876-6F9560F65547.png
    696.7 KB · Views: 105
not really that much different but a diffuser and wheels, which the perf 3 already came with it's own wheels.
They're trending in the opposite direction though. Look at the Model S Plaid vs LR. Only cosmetic difference is the lip spoiler and the red brake calipers. Body kit and wheels are identical. And even mechanical bits, the suspension is identical, only the motors and brake pads (not rotors) are different.

There is zero chance that they do a refresh 1-2 years after doing the highland refresh to make a M3P "better". They have the Cybertruck, Roadster, and Semi that are all behind schedule and demonstrate that Tesla isn't that flexible anymore and is overwhelmed on the new product development. Plus, they're not going to use up 4680's just to make a mid-level performance car.

Even if they planned it to be 1-2 years, it's Tesla, it would be 5 years. ;)

The 4680 cells have been in development for some time now and I don't see it as a complex change to the cars architecture for them to develop, especially considering model Y's are already shipping with those cells out of Giga Texas. And regardless, the Roadster is still not a high priority and has already been in development for a while and probably nearing finalization. The CT already has a production line and Semi is already being produced. Mid cycle doesn't mandate 1-2 years, but I think it would be likely 2-3 years very likely we see a 3 using 4680s. And why would they not want to use cells that save them cost while improving performance? That's a no brainer higher priority if they can scale up cell production.

Eh, the battery day lectures were mostly unfounded hype. Thus far the 4680s use the entirety of the pack, weigh more, have less energy/power. There’s no CoG or weight benefit.

The model 3’s center of gravity is already low. And its weight is actually decent as far as EVs go. Where it really falls behind is suspension. The platform has potential - the underpinnings of a double wishbone front and multilingual rear could be made to perform quite well. But Tesla’s priority isn’t really suspension engineering
The 4680 cells weigh more because they are a bigger form factor. They are higher energy density, so less cells are needed for the equivalent kWh. Where are you getting information that says the contrary?

Center of gravity being low already is good but lower polar moment of inertia is going to only improve handling further along with stiffness from the structural pack design.

• Disagree
Reactions: E90alex and terranx
The 4680 cells weigh more because they are a bigger form factor. They are higher energy density, so less cells are needed for the equivalent kWh. Where are you getting information that says the contrary?

Center of gravity being low already is good but lower polar moment of inertia is going to only improve handling further along with stiffness from the structural pack design.
Look at the model Y AWD, which is currently the only 4680 car Tesla has produced.

Same weight as the LR model, no room for additional cells within the battery pack, 20% less energy, and the worst charging profile of all the current Tesla batteries.

The 4680 is probably the worst performing economy cell tesla has put in a pack in the last 7 years. No thanks.