Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not exactly the minimum engineering effort. However, it will be engineering effort in the area that Tesla has proven they can use to sell cars. Which is acceleration, particularly 0-60. And maybe something a bit flashy like bigger brakes that take no engineering just asking a supplier (see M3P brakes).

The fact that people then say that a Model S Plaid handles better than a Taycan because it has a faster 'ring time then tells you that this method of just focusing on acceleration works, and is a very, very efficent way for engineering effort to turn into sales and brand perception, as acceleration is the easiest thing to add to an EV.

The fact that the Taycan and Plaid have such similar 'Ring times with such dissimilar acceleration and mass tells you just how much better the Taycan handles. The Turbo S is 6.0 seconds 0-100MPH and the Plaid is 4.2 seconds, and 150 MPH is 14.2 vs 9.6 seconds. Yet over 7 minutes of driving, the Plaid is only 7 seconds faster. That's only a couple 100-150 MPH sprints difference yet the 'Ring is full tens of those.

How does this all apply to the M3P highland? Yeah, not very likely that it's going to try and benchmark the BMW M3 CSL in everything. If it hits it at 0-60 and maybe 0-100, Tesla will probably consider themselves done. The interior and chassis is not their goal, because consumers have told them they don't care.
I haven't seen anyone say that a Plaid handles better than a Taycan. I know that I certainly haven't. That said, a Plaid doesn't handle dramatically worse than a Taycan as you seem to be suggesting. From my perspective, they're both big, fat pigs that are made to go around corners by having big, sticky tires, but for going fast on the Nurburgring, that works. You don't really need great transitional handling, but your car has to be able to stick and be stable, especially in high speed turns. It's mostly down to grip, tire and aerodynamic, and not banging on the bumpstops while having as low a center of gravity as possible. In this regard, I doubt that there is any significant difference between the Taycan and the Plaid. Bump taking ability is useful for being able to run over a few curbs and on the Carousel, but it's not too important for overall lap times. The car also needs to be able to slow down repeatedly, which the Track Package on the Plaid does seem to accomplish.

There aren't 10s of 100-150 MPH sprints on the ring; you're engaging in a bit of hyperbole there. 😜 Also, as Nabush points out, the Plaid was thermally limited during its record lap. How much, we can't really tell for sure, but it was obvious in a number of places. Even without the thermal limitation, I don't think the Plaid would have been able to turn a 7:07, but it certainly would have been quite a few seconds faster.

From the article about the new Taycan GT, the rumors are that it has 3 motors and 1000 HP, so basically matching the Plaid for HP. It also looks like it has wider tires and a fair bit of aero work, which will make a difference as well, but it sounds like the biggest advance for the Taycan is no thermal limiting, so it can actually use that power for the entire lap.

Or it could be that Tesla just doesn't do enough thermal managment at all, because all they care about is 1/4 mile or less, and going to 800V won't magically fix this philosophical difference.
I think Tesla has started to care about thermal management for performance driving. A 3 or Y are better than the early S, the new S is better than a 3 or Y, but it's still obviously not a top priority for Tesla. If they keep trying to one up Porsche at the Nurburgring, perhaps this will realign Tesla's priorities a bit; I'd be happy to see that. Competition is good!

I don’t think the EV6 can run 2 laps without losing power. The ioniq5N supposedly has been specially designed to do 2 laps
Actually, the vast majority of ICE cars, can't be run on a racetrack for many laps without running into problems. 2 laps on the Nurburgring is like a dozen laps or so on most other racetracks. The brakes fade away, engines get hot, and whole host of other issues start rearing their ugly heads. Toss in the extra weight of EVs, and the problems get worse.

I haven't seen anyone say that a Plaid handles better than a Taycan. I know that I certainly haven't.
Umm, you were one of the first posters here:
The Model S Plaid set a time of 7:25.23 on the Nurburgring in June of 2023. This beat the prior best time of a Taycan Turbo S at 7:33.35 set in April 2022. It takes good handling and brakes, as well as power, to set a good time at the Nurburgring. So, the Taycan just can't hang with the Plaid.

And the whole reason we are here is that people pushed back on this comment:
He called the m3p better than an M3 when it came out, and his response to the Taycan turbo S was the Plaid…which is faster in a straight line…but that’s about it.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
"Better" does not mean less heat. Which is the thing you keep saying 800V does, and pointed me to a person at Tesla that supposedly says 800V is better, but all I can find is that it's tradeoffs.

Here's the problems with non-experts constantly talking about 800V, and using basic electronics to go "half the current, so less heat!"... That's only true if you keep the same size wires, and your motor doesn't have more inductance. But this is not what an engineer does in a production vehicle. They take advantage of the 800V and make the wires smaller.

And then you get the really silly ones that believe in an 800V architecture the current in a given battery cell is half. That's when you know they don't understand anything at all about how EV architectures or batteries work.

If you're going to keep acting like 800V is clearly always a thermal advantage when on a track, please point me to the efficency numbers of the drive unit for an 800V system at 100% rated power and a 400V 100% rated power. The only place heat comes from is this difference. Please link to actual data that shows a large enough gap in efficency that thermals are easy on 800V and impossible on 400V. I mean, we have ICE cars that are only 30% efficent and they don't overheat yet it seems like we're saying 98% is a disaster and 98.4% is great.

Or it could be that Tesla just doesn't do enough thermal managment at all, because all they care about is 1/4 mile or less, and going to 800V won't magically fix this philosophical difference.

Obviously my job is not designing motors nor inverters or batteries, nor is yours very likely.

However I would like to mention that I did doctorate level physics and mathematics before and after school (Arts et Metiers in France one of the best world wide engineering school, general engineering master diploma + 1 year in physics specialization after).

Was 22 years ago though, so I would not be honest saying that I did not loose a lot of things on the theorical side since then. Yeah I spent hours on Maxwell differential and integral equations, calculate flux, charges even calculated tensors, review electrical circuits and experimentation

Not the point here

Very familiar with motors with my job though. I spent days and night configuring, troubleshooting and datalogging drives, servodrives and servomotors, dealing with robots, replacing components on drives after troubleshooting with my meter....

So I have a pretty good understanding on how drives and electric motors work, how to wire them and configure them from scratch depending of the application.

800V is more expensive for some components and necessitate a redesign, that's why Tesla is not using it on its cars, and because for mainstream cars it does not bring a significant increase in efficiency. Because also Tesla is cheap overall, which is good and bad...

But 800V brings :

- Like you said smaller wires
- Better efficiency inverters and lighter : SiC mosfets or IGBT, wires, diodes, transformer/and or inductors should see less current for the same power. we need to take in consideration the fact that an inverter has a sweet spot for voltage/current and obviously manufacturer are optimizing for low loads. When your drive is fully loaded efficiency goes down, and lower voltage architecture will suffer more I^2R losses. You have several ways of driving an electric motor, most of the time it's frequency vs voltage. 800V architecture requires WBG semi conductors.
- Higher voltage motors : It is true that in most cases the efficiency gain for the higher voltage is not always significant, but overall the consensus in the industry is that higher voltage motors always have a slight efficiency advantage over lower voltages ones. However for the same power a higher voltage motor can be smaller, so there is a weight advantage. Less mass can be easier to cool, less thermal inertia ?
- Potentially less loss in the batteries during high loads. Note that Tesla uses 7104 cells in the Model S and 4416 cells in the Model 3, cylindrical design. Porsche, for the same battery size, has only 396 cells, VERY likely a lot less wiring and potential loss at high loads because of that. Maybe Tesla battery disposition is less efficient for cooling as well ? though intuitively I would have said it's easier to cool down smaller cells than big ones, but it depends on how the cooling is done and the passage way of the glycol through that.

It would be ideal that we could have studies on 400V vs 800V but there is nothing available online, I doubt we have the exact specs of drive units from Tesla or Porsche / KIA /Hyundai, they are probably secrets...

What we can see is that 800V cars outperform Tesla as far as thermal management. And aftermarket tuners cannot cool down Tesla as well. The Pikes Peak UP Plaid overheated after 3min30 during the last race. Several nurburgring onboard laps with Plaids show power reduced to 350KW after 3min30 as well.
Tesla Model 3 P overheats after around 5-6 min on the nurb... Sustainable power is 220KW on this one. With frunk delete and additional cooler we may reach 10 min of 3P ? The EV6 GT can do 2 laps yes like the Ioniq 5N, confirmed by several journalists while it was tested. I believe the 5N is even better.

BTW Formula E uses 900V architecture for their powertrain, Rallycross/Nitrocross Group E uses also 870V, another examples higher voltage architecture is used for high performance applications...

So to summarize : 800V seems to be better because of several objective points and outside observations based on the performance of competitors, by how much, I'm not sure, as the thermal management strategy/design is obviously different..

Last edited:
Every time I get that little notification and come in here, I look for a discussion based on the thread title but find way off discussions instead like the Plaid vs Taycan. Wasn't this thread closed temporarily not too long ago for going off topic? Does that need to be the case again?
Yep, incredibly annoying. These people just can’t stay on topic and seem to want to challenge each other to irrelevant, off topic debates.

Yep, incredibly annoying. These people just can’t stay on topic and seem to want to challenge each other to irrelevant, off topic debates.
One of the main reasons why don’t frequent this site anymore. Instead of intriguing conversation every thread ends up being a childish pissing contest. A couple years ago I made a post about my Model Y being involved in a car accident that wasn’t my fault. Posted videos and everything just to share my story - the animals ripped me to shreads. First 2 pages were folks making sure I was ok and then the following 20 plus pages were just people trolling like a high school bully until eventually the mods took the post down.

Obviously my job is not designing motors nor inverters or batteries, nor is yours very likely.
I'm an Electrical Engineer that designs battery sourced electric aircraft powertrains for a living. You can see this from other posts here.
But people are clearly annoyed with this discussion. Nobody else should post unless they have new speculation on a M3P Highland, which is what this thread is for.

One of the main reasons why don’t frequent this site anymore.
Posts the guy that posted over 100 times this year ;)

Last edited:
Umm, you were one of the first posters here:
Please note that saying that the Plaid with Track Pack has good handling is NOT the same as saying that it has better handling than the Taycan; that would be an incorrect extrapolation of what I posted. I will stand by my statement that the current Taycan can't hang with the current Model S on the Nurburgring. Porsche obviously didn't like that, and it sounds like they're going to come back with a new Taycan that the current Model S can't keep up with on the Nurburgring. In any case, I think we've talked enough about Porsche vs. Tesla at the Nurburgring, so I will stop now. My apologies to those who didn't appreciate the deviation from the thread topic.

Getting back to the Highland Performance variant, I hope that Tesla does continue with its trend of making each succeeding model more capable on the track. Since the Model 3 has to meet a price point to sell, I'm hoping that Tesla can come up with some innovative solutions in this regard.

Reactions: TimTam
What would be on topic for you? There’s no news on the highland performance. If there was, it would be posted. In the meantime, should we just discuss more imaginations about what we would like to see in the new m3p? That’s already been covered excessively too

Reactions: GregD60 and SigNC
I seriously hope they will go away for the 4680 structural packs. This principle is a total disaster from a maintenance standpoint. Not sure if you looked at the video from Sandy Munro video, but structural battery pack = total vehicule loss is one cell of the battery gets bad. No way you can replace the battery.

It can be structural also if it is bolted to the chassis, so long as it is part of the load bearing structure when bolted.

For the Highland 3P to have increased performance it’s going to need a more powerful battery pack isn’t it?

The ‘21MY is rated 377kW and the 3L battery can source up to 430kW in optimal conditions.
No. As discussed upthread, it is possible to get faster by producing more HP at speeds where it currently does not max out the pack. Like at low speeds (produce more torque) and high speeds (less back EMF somehow, less power drop-off, see Plaid for ways to accomplish this).

Anywhere the pack is not being used at max power output (high speed and low speed for current Performance) is a potential opportunity to be faster.

Of course, a larger pack could be better. Maybe they'll do yet another revision of the 2170. Remember it already got a capacity bump from 77.8kWh to 82.1kWh (nominal values), with no claimed change in performance.

As far as I know, the power limit of the current 82kWh Panasonic is not publicly known, nevermind any evolutions of it. So it seems unlikely that the 2024 Highland will have the exact same 430kW limit as the original 2016 pack did.

My speculation is:
  • Plaid-ish rotor will reduce back EMF for better range and increased torque at high speeds
  • Inverter, motor, and battery will be capable of 500kW but nerfed to 450kW for the standard $53,420 Performance model
  • An extra $6900 software unlock will enable Ludicrous power
Beyond that, I think it'll just be a regular LR model with alternative seats, brakes, stick-on spoiler, and charcoal versions of the stock 19's. They'll offer some really sexy 20's on the web store but the internet will condemn them for being too heavy.