Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The really interesting thing about this new record by the Taycan is that they say they were able to do several laps with exactly the same performance, which is almost unheard of. (Ioniq 5N probably able to) Once again 800V architecture and probably strong focus on thermal management.

Bad news is that Porsche premium is not attainable for most people... That's why I drive a Corvette Z06 and not a GT3, could not afford the Porsche and run it on tracks..

It won’t be remotely close to reasonably priced. Probably double what a Plaid costs. Maybe more.
Remember that for the Plaid to set it's 'ring time, it needed an option package which increases the cost of the car by 23% and isn't even street legal in the EU.
None of this is "reasonably" priced or indicative of what the cars can do in their normal trim.

Reasonably priced.🤣 It won’t be remotely close to reasonably priced. Probably double what a Plaid costs. Maybe more.
Yep and it’s 17 seconds faster around Nordschleife then the Plaid which is an absolute hiding and only 3 seconds slower then the Rimac. Porsche have upped the ante no doubt about it. Tesla will need to respond with the Roadster, the Model S platform is outdated now I’m afraid.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Once again 800V architecture and probably strong focus on thermal management.
Please, Please stop saying this. 800V has nothing to do with thermal managment, as has been described to you.

Bad news is that Porsche premium is not attainable for most people...
The actual reality is that nobody tracks a Tesla or a Porsche EV, so this is all just navel gazing.
Go to a track and you'll see way more GT3's or GT4's than even Model 3's, much less Plaids or Taycans, even though the GT3's cost way more.

The really interesting question is what the Boxter EV will be, but none of this is super relevant until there is much, much better charging infrastructure at tracks.

Reactions: Lindenwood
For all the discussion about 'Ring times- Some version of the Taycan just ran 7:07 on the ring, a full 17 seconds faster than the Plaid on US only tires:

You should come join us over on this thread, there's a few of us actually racing our cars: Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

And even better, join some of us at the National tour events and hopefully nationals this year. We need more experienced drivers showing the world what EV's can do (and not do, given they are supposedly as fast as a GT3/GT4 at Autox)

I did a few posts there. The Model 3 is a strong proposition for AutoX agreed. Not to GT3/GT4 level though. I will see next year with better tires, but I was around 1s off the fastest GT3 last year on my local club (few national champions in my club : XSA, STX, CSP and good SS guys)

Please, Please stop saying this. 800V has nothing to do with thermal managment, as has been described to you.

The actual reality is that nobody tracks a Tesla or a Porsche EV, so this is all just navel gazing.
Go to a track and you'll see way more GT3's or GT4's than even Model 3's, much less Plaids or Taycans, even though the GT3's cost way more.

The really interesting question is what the Boxter EV will be, but none of this is super relevant until there is much, much better charging infrastructure at tracks.

I disagree for the 800V is a better architecture for efficiency and heat management. Components are lighter, smaller motors, inverters are also more efficient, efficiency is higher overall at higher loads (thus speeds), . If everyones goes there, it's because there is a benefit.

Even Andrew Baglino from Tesla agrees on that...

Remember that for the Plaid to set it's 'ring time, it needed an option package which increases the cost of the car by 23% and isn't even street legal in the EU.
None of this is "reasonably" priced or indicative of what the cars can do in their normal trim.
Relatively speaking, a Model S Plaid is reasonably priced. It's $90k for the car plus $20k for the Track Package for a total of $110k. A Taycan Turbo S starts at $195k, and the special Tequipment package that was used to set the Taycan's old 7:35 time isn't even available in the United States. As a result, we don't know what it would cost, but I think it's safe to say it would be much, much more expensive than the Tesla Track Package. Regarding whatever they've done to this new version of the Taycan, I think it is doubtful that it will be available in the U.S., and even if it is, you're probably looking at over $300k for the car with the special equipment.

I don't know if Tesla will bother responding with an even faster Model S, but I have little doubt that they could. It is getting to a point of diminishing returns, however, on the bragging rights front. A sub 7:30 minute time on the Nurburgring is really brutally fast, and driving one of these 4,800 (Tesla) to 5,200 (Porsche) pound monsters at that kind of speed has a lot of potential for disaster, and is not something to be undertaken lightly. I'm watching with kind of a morbid fascination to see what happens next.

Last edited:
Regarding whatever they've done to this new version of the Taycan, I think it is doubtful that it will be available in the U.S., and even if it is, you're probably looking at over $300k for the car with the special equipment.
They 100% will bring it to the US. It’s the rumored Taycan Turbo GT based on the upcoming Taycan refresh. Based on some of their other models like the cayenne turbo GT, I expect it’ll be 15-20% more than the Turbo S, so probably 220-230k.

I disagree for the 800V is a better architecture for efficiency and heat management. Components are lighter, smaller motors, inverters are also more efficient, efficiency is higher overall at higher loads (thus speeds), . If everyones goes there, it's because there is a benefit.
I can't wait for Porsche to go to 4,200V architecture in the next car. Everything will only weigh 100lbs for the whole drivetrain, and it will be 102% efficent!

Even Andrew Baglino from Tesla agrees on that...
This andrew?:

For the smaller platform vehicles like 3 and Y, there’s some wins and losses with 800 volts, not everything is better," said Baglino. "And so, we look at that platform, and we’re not like ignoring the reality that you can go to a higher voltage, but there’s nothing really encouraging us to do so on that platform. It’s really about mass and power. And as you look at bigger vehicles, there are some advantages on those bigger vehicles.
On bigger vehicles, where you’re talking about higher power on the charging side or higher power from the battery to the power electronics or you need more torque, so the current requirements go up, there’s a little bit more semiconductor and actual conductor savings of going to the higher voltage," said Baglino. "And so, we do consider that for Semi and Cybertruck. But for the 3/Y platform where we’ve got everything running and the benefit is questionably small."

Where does he quote that it's unquestionably more efficent and has lower thermal loss? He seems like an actual smart engineer that acknowledges tradeoffs instead of saying that higher voltage is always a win.

They 100% will bring it to the US. It’s the rumored Taycan Turbo GT based on the upcoming Taycan refresh. Based on some of their other models like the cayenne turbo GT, I expect it’ll be 15-20% more than the Turbo S, so probably 220-230k.
It’ll probably be closer to 300k with options plus markups, unobtainable allocation etc. The plaid is a steal at 90k and can be ordered with no nonsense from home.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
The Tequipment package which was created for the Taycan Turbo S in order to set the previous 7:35 Nurburgring record is not available in the U.S. I find it extremely unlikely that we will actually be able to buy a version of the Taycan Turbo GT in 7:07 Nurburgring trim in the U.S., and if we do the price increase will be significant. Getting a Taycan to turn a 7:07 at the Nurburgring is seriously extreme, and the parts and engineering to do that do NOT come cheap.

P.S. To be clear, they may sell something called a Taycan Turbo GT in America, but it is unlikely to be a variant capable of a 7:07 lap on the Nurburgring.

Last edited:
It’ll probably be closer to 300k with options plus markups, unobtainable allocation etc. The plaid is a steal at 90k and can be ordered with no nonsense from home.
If we throw in dealer markups, the price for a Taycan capable of turning a 7:07 on the Nurburgring would likely be more than $400k, or Porsche might just price it at $400k. After all, the 911 S/T has a list price of nearly $300k from Porsche, and that required relatively little engineering or development on Porsche's part to put together.

I can't wait for Porsche to go to 4,200V architecture...

1704261235785.png