Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model 3 Performance lists a max discharge value of 629 HP(462 KW). However, I have seen up to 601 HP(448 KW) in realtime battery power.

IMG_0865.png

The current Model 3 Performance actually pulls extremely hard from the 60’ mark to the 330’ mark where power peaks.

The Model 3 Performance doesn’t need a higher Max HP. It just needs to even out the peaky horsepower graph.

70 Plus HP Difference.jpeg

The rear motor is capable of over 300 HP for a brief period of time. However, the front motor is limited to about 200 HP and it falls off quickly after that.

If the car just held 300 HP and 200 HP deep into the 130 mph territory It would be so much quicker in the quarter mile even with no increase in max HP or max torque.

You need to remember they don’t use the same packs globally. It needs to also work with the LG pack they use in China Model 3 Performance also unless they plan to go back to only making these in the US and shipping globally.
I for sure hope that is not the case for us Europe customers. The Freemont cars are worse in all aspects than the China/Germany cars. Why Tesla is reluctant to hire quality controllers is a question that baffles me...

• Funny
Reactions: SigNC and Cheetah
I for sure hope that is not the case for us Europe customers. The Freemont cars are worse in all aspects than the China/Germany cars. Why Tesla is reluctant to hire quality controllers is a question that baffles me...
I'm sure that they have plenty of QC employees in Fremont. The main problem with Fremont is that they have California workers there, and that includes the QC people. The QC problems will never be solved there short of the Optimus robot taking over assembly of the cars, or moving the factory somewhere else.

It also doesn't help that the factory is an old facility, that is nowhere near as efficient as Tesla's newer facilities.

I'm sure that they have plenty of QC employees in Fremont. The main problem with Fremont is that they have California workers there, and that includes the QC people. The QC problems will never be solved there short of the Optimus robot taking over assembly of the cars, or moving the factory somewhere else.

It also doesn't help that the factory is an old facility, that is nowhere near as efficient as Tesla's newer facilities.

It's the sad truth. American workers are less motivated, disciplined and rigorous overall. Turnover is also crazy, so when people have no experience on the job they are less efficient as well.

I can clearly tell vs Europe or Asia

And like you said Fremont Plant is older and clearly not optimized like new units.

Updated Model 3's being pumped out at Fremont:

"Pumped out" might be an overstatement. These are engineering models as indicated on the door, and the trunk badges are Chinese.

But it is curious that they seem to be doing something with the front and rear bumpers. Perhaps these are Performance models temporarily wearing standard bumpers?

1704477394726.png

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Can you still refuse delivery of a car? I want to order now so that I get an early car (probably a terrible decision) but don't want to be stuck with the old model :)
You can refuse delivery but you lose your deposit. They will probably cancel your order if they significantly change the vehicle to where the price changes. They cancelled all of the Performance orders in Australia when Highland came out.

Reactions: Merkic
"Pumped out" might be an overstatement. These are engineering models as indicated on the door, and the trunk badges are Chinese.

But it is curious that they seem to be doing something with the front and rear bumpers. Perhaps these are Performance models temporarily wearing standard bumpers?

View attachment 1006246
A Performance model coming straight from the factory with 18s? The black car in the back is on 19s. You can see the lower profile tire. The foreground car clearly has a thicker profile tire with an 18" wheel. I don't think any of those cars are Performance models.

Reactions: gearchruncher
It's the sad truth. American workers are less motivated, disciplined and rigorous overall. Turnover is also crazy, so when people have no experience on the job they are less efficient as well.

I can clearly tell vs Europe or Asia

And like you said Fremont Plant is older and clearly not optimized like new units.
I would classify this as an over generalization. The people hired by Tesla are at the bottom of the pay scale. You get what you pay for. If Tesla wanted to improve the quality they could hire higher quality workers. I wonder if Tesla pays bottom tier at their other facilities.

A Performance model coming straight from the factory with 18s?

Sure, why not? They don't want to reveal the Performance wheels so they'd need to slap on some spare whatevers. And they surely aren't dumb enough to repeat the mistake of making 18" wheels that don't fit the Performance model again.

I don't know if anyone has checked the dimensions of the new 18's to see if they fit the old Performance model, but even if not, there are indications that some new models might use different brakes (e.g. Hitachi electric calipers).