Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They look very similar to the 19" wheel that's standard on the Model S, which would mean that what we see is a wheel cover, with a decent-looking allow wheel underneath...
Look at my post from yesterday, it's not one cover. There are multiple plastic inserts, positioned within the shape of the alloy wheel. A lot better than the ugly Tempest wheels, where it gets even worse when taking off the cover (imo).
These are exactly the wheels leaked from the parts catalog. The so-called "Warp" wheels. Now we get to see them with the aero covers on, but once you take those off you get this:

View attachment 1021868View attachment 1021870

Reactions: phantasms
They look very similar to the 19" wheel that's standard on the Model S, which would mean that what we see is a wheel cover, with a decent-looking allow wheel underneath...
It could be decent a wheel, but it will look odd and unfinished if it looks like this.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/png-image-10-png.1021868/

1708962694993.png

I wonder if the recent leaked photos are actual production models, or still development, or media only cars. I do hope that the seats they put in could accommodate harness belts like many other brand sport sedans offer. (ie. M3, Civic Type R, etc.) Or at least offer them as optional seats.
Maybe if the pics were taken with a modern phone and not a potato we could see more details.

My guess is Tesla continues to capitalize on the Highland refresh in Q1 and into Q2 with slightly higher prices and thus higher margins bc people want it and are willing to pay for the refresh.

P/Ludicrous gets released end of Q2/early Q3 at $54,990 and eligible for the tax credit (perhaps with all free paint choices). LR price drops to $44,990, putting it in between the base and P trims. Note that Tesla should make higher margins off the higher trim anyways (P/Ludicrous), like most car companies do.

Tesla is trying to continue sales growth YoY and needs to be creative and find ways to stoke demand each and every quarter.
Could you recheck your crystal ball and let us know TSLA stock price for the next 3 quarters. Thanks in advance. 😬

I bought mine in 2023 for 55k and LRs were going for 6k less. So that trend held
Yep. I’m not seeing this being a penny more than $59,999. Tesla isn’t gunna put $12k worth of differences in it from the LR model. Also Tesla’s MO has been price it low to start, then when demand is high, increase prices. They did that with the M3 LR already and it just came out. It’s just classic supply/demand they do. Hence why they’re “giving away” Model Y’s right now.

Frankly with the right (and achievable IMO) weight to power ratio, they could totally beat the S Plaid.
Tesla won’t be doing that though. The smaller battery pack size in the M3 is always going to be the limiting factor also. People saying this is going to be an MS Plaid are quite frankly being “ludicrous.” It may be as good as the MS LR or slightly better. But it won’t be anywhere near the Plaid.

There is WAY more to acceleration than simply power to weight ratio when you are pulling Plaid 1/4 mile times.

It would be extremely difficult to run a 9.23 1/4 mile on 235/35/20 tires no matter what they did.
Yeah, I wouldn’t expect them to try and make a new sub 10 sec 1/4 mile time.. They SHOULD probably put a larger profile tire on the rear at least, and make it a slightly heavier wheel for sure.

But, as for “plaid” comparisons.. where are you landing? Not ~ 2 second 0-60? (With roll out, same as plaid <1.99 - this is a stupid number)

Or just that overall they won’t do it, to maintain the “halo” cars interest and value - because frankly at this point they should really just abandon model S since it provides no significant volume of sales, revenues, margin. probably something else I’m forgetting. Don’t get me wrong, great car, but not worth the effort for the value to the company that it brings.

So, will they not/ CAN they not, make a Model 3 highland that would do 0-60 in ~ 2 seconds?

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
Any car that beats the S Plaid ought to look faster/sportier/meaner than this. This doesn't scream "fastest production car on the planet" to me.
Does the Model S Plaid scream "fastest production car on the planet" to you right now?
The reality is that EV's have moved us on from big wings, fender flares, and big exhausts telling us how fast a car is.

Does the Model S Plaid scream "fastest production car on the planet" to you right now?
The reality is that EV's have moved us on from big wings, fender flares, and big exhausts telling us how fast a car is.
Yeah, I actually think it does. Every time I see one on the road it's similar to me seeing a Porsche. It's getting long in the tooth but they have a ton of presence. They do in fact look mean and fast to me. I didn't say anything about wings or exhausts so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

No, it doesn't look like a Ferrari but they are instantly recognizable. My son and I saw one the other day and it was badass. My larger point is that the image of the Highland Model 3 Performance shows a pretty boring car and would not befit a tri-motor monster (which we all doubt it is anyway).

• Disagree
Reactions: momo3605