Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ever driven a fast car other than the M3P? The top end is probably the worst I've ever felt in any 500ish hp car.
He definitely hasn't. I drove my M3P for two days shy of a year and traded it in for a Plaid. All this speculation and argument about potential tenths and hundredths of a second is pretty laughable. It's going to run whatever it does to 60(let's say 2.9 seconds with or without rollout subtracted, probably with), then fall on it's face slightly less than the previous P. There will be nothing "Plaid" about it. If one is truly interested in numbers to the degree expressed here, just buy a 2022 or 2021 Plaid for somewhere in the $60's and be done with it.

He definitely hasn't. I drove my M3P for two days shy of a year and traded it in for a Plaid. All this speculation and argument about potential tenths and hundredths of a second is pretty laughable. It's going to run whatever it does to 60(let's say 2.9 seconds with or without rollout subtracted, probably with), then fall on it's face slightly less than the previous P. There will be nothing "Plaid" about it. If one is truly interested in numbers to the degree expressed here, just buy a 2022 or 2021 Plaid for somewhere in the $60's and be done with it.
I have some hope for the new one, probably not Plaid like, but if they can get the pull to be like the LR it at least would be decent to the low triple digits.

But yeah, I had my M3P for about 2 years before going Plaid. No regrets. Didn't lose a ton of money on the 3. Ludicrous could be interesting. But I do wish the Highland didn't look so cheap.

Reactions: phantasms
I literally posted an article that describes the nonlinear relationship between the amount of grip and weight on tires. It's actually not complicated than that as slip speed (angle) and temperature are additional variables and these vary by tire. See page 11:

Thats completely irrelevant - certainly every specific tire has optimal load and adding more load moves it out of optimal load and traction starts to decrease vs load. But heavy car can have tires under optimal load and have the same deceleration as lighter car under optimal load with different tires.

I'm tired fighting that stupid myth with people who want to believe and dont want to understand. I guess its too complicated for you. You win.

How much power and how many G does your model show for (say) a real-world 3.3s 0-60? This would be another way of checking correlation.
I dont have power drop curve after peak anyway. Its a model of ideal motor that keeps constant torque and then constant power after that. Its not meant to simulate m3p. Its only meant to show that battery is not that much of the culprit.

AMG E63, C5 and C6 corvette, 5.0 supercharged Mustang. etc.
So no. 😛

The M3P, which I believe is the best car Tesla makes currently*, is not fast at highway speeds.

From now on all posts to this thread must include the cars you’re coming from so we know what you mean by “fast”.

I’ll start.
8 second tube chassis 454 Vega drag car
C5Z06 modded [the fun one]
C6Z06 modded [the plaid of its day]
C7Z06 Z07 modded [the looker]

I’ve also been in a McLaren F1 when it was open throttles all the way past 170. Still smiling.

*I typed this while Supercharging on my drive to NJ to pick up my Cybertruck tomorrow. Maybe that one is better. Maybe.

Thats completely irrelevant - certainly every specific tire has optimal load and adding more load moves it out of optimal load and traction starts to decrease vs load. But heavy car can have tires under optimal load and have the same deceleration as lighter car under optimal load with different tires.

I'm tired fighting that stupid myth with people who want to believe and dont want to understand. I guess its too complicated for you. You win.
No need to be a drama queen. Just post up a citation that actually agrees with what you're saying. I've already posted 2 to support my argument. There's plenty more. No need to waste your breath. Plenty of smart people have already studied this topic extensively.

It does cost a lot more, but it is common to cross shop an M3 with a Model 3 Performance. As for the 0-60, BMW's official specs are notoriously conservative and the 3.4 is without rollout subtracted, so it's very, very close to last year's Model 3 Performance. Car and Driver got 0-60 in 2.8 with rollout. In the 1/4 mile Car and Driver got an 11.0 at 124MPH from the M3. Car and Driver shows 11.6 at 115MPH for the Model 3 Performance. Motor Trend shows 11.5 at 117MPH for the M3P. C&D shows 3.1 for 0-60 and MT shows 3.0 for 0-60 for the M3P, both with rollout.

That's right. People wanting a fast and capable midsized sedan will certainly have a BMW M3 and Tesla M3L on their list. that's why I think it's absolutely essential that Tesla don't just make the performance/handling of the M3L significantly better than the current M3P in every aspect, but also future proof it for the next 4-5 years against the next generation BMW M3 and others in that class. Can't see them suddenly giving it a sizeable performance boost in 1-2 years.

Elon then won't be able to brag about it being better anymore...

Interesting, reading through the posts. I'm still sticking to high 2.x in the 0-60 as I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near 2.5 in the Model X Plaid territory that costs $30K more, let alone being only a few tenths within spitting distance to a real world S Plaid in the low 2s.

Two different vehicles and class of cars yes, but like I've said before if the ~$50K M3L is too good, in theory it could fast track the S and X line to extinction with potential lower delivery numbers going forward for the entry-luxury line that's already not a volume seller.

I'm curious if Tesla will take the opportunity to capitalize on the early pre-order hype for the M3L and price it at near the all time high for the M3P, which topped out at ~$63K in 2022. My guess is that the M3L will be priced in the high 50's, perhaps $59,990 or something to compensate for the delays going on in production, along with the lower quarterly numbers in general. - There has to be an offset of some kind. Maybe?

Also, do you guys think the new Model 3s will tank ~30%+++ YoY like the current gen did? It's painful to see a '22 M3P for example @ >$35K used in today's market. If the new M3L really does bring some surprises with its performance figures, imagine buying one a few years from now at a 50% discount for >$30K for a sub 3 second car. Painful I know. - This will raise the bar for the next gen Model 3 Ludacris...maybe even called Plaid then.

If Tesla does scrap the S for whatever reason, I really hope that they create a Model 3 Plaid (sub 2.0 sec) that has a hatch. This would be quite amazing actually.

No need to be a drama queen. Just post up a citation that actually agrees with what you're saying. I've already posted 2 to support my argument. There's plenty more. No need to waste your breath. Plenty of smart people have already studied this topic extensively.
No point. You have 0 interest to understand whats written. You win and its off topic.

Interesting, reading through the posts. I'm still sticking to high 2.x in the 0-60 as I highly doubt it'll be anywhere near 2.5 in the Model X Plaid territory that costs $30K more, let alone being only a few tenths within spitting distance to a real world S Plaid in the low 2s.

Two different vehicles and class of cars yes, but like I've said before if the ~$50K M3L is too good, in theory it could fast track the S and X line to extinction with potential lower delivery numbers going forward for the entry-luxury line that's already not a volume seller.

I'm curious if Tesla will take the opportunity to capitalize on the early pre-order hype for the M3L and price it at near the all time high for the M3P, which topped out at ~$63K in 2022. My guess is that the M3L will be priced in the high 50's, perhaps $59,990 or something to compensate for the delays going on in production, along with the lower quarterly numbers in general. - There has to be an offset of some kind. Maybe?

Also, do you guys think the new Model 3s will tank ~30%+++ YoY like the current gen did? It's painful to see a '22 M3P for example @ >$35K used in today's market. If the new M3L really does bring some surprises with its performance figures, imagine buying one a few years from now at a 50% discount for >$30K for a sub 3 second car. Painful I know. - This will raise the bar for the next gen Model 3 Ludacris...maybe even called Plaid then.

If Tesla does scrap the S for whatever reason, I really hope that they create a Model 3 Plaid (sub 2.0 sec) that has a hatch. This would be quite amazing actually.
The huge Tesla devaluations were a perfect storm of global supply chain issues followed by a massive ramp of of production capacity AND a deliberate sacrifice of per-vehicle profit to increase volume as other competitors came on line.

Other new vehicles will experience part of that after successfully ramping (I.e. Rivians and Lucids). However, the major supply chain issues of 2021-2022, AND seeing a global auto manufacturer suddenly drop new prices by 20% and still stay in the black just to undercut competition, are once-in-a-generation phenomena. I do NOT expect it to happen again with Teslas.